Alexa Interface Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Interface Not Working

I upgraded my system today from HS3 to HS4 and since then, Alexa can not discover any of the Homeseer devices. It had been working for several years on HS3, but as soon as i upgraded, it lost all connection to the devices. When I install the skill, it authenticates with Homeseer without issue but then when it goes to discover devices, it doesn't find any.
    I've been trying to work with Amazon Alexa support but they don't have a clue as to what's happening. I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas.
    I've disable and reenabled the skill many times, scan for devices even more. I uninstalled the Alexa app with not help. I tried discovering from my phone app and the web app, neither had any success.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Lots of posts about this sort of issue.

Is your myHS license converted from HS3 to HS4 at myhs.homeseer.com?
    Is your myHS username/password listed under Setup, Users?
    Is Enable Remote Access through MyHS Service enabled Setup, Network?
    Is Enable Control with JSON (Required for Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT/Etc.) enabled (also under Settings, Network)
    Does the myHS app work when it is connected remotely?

HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
    Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
    Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
    Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
    Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
    Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
    Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Thank you for your response. I double checked all of these and they are all correct. Everything had been working for years with Alexa until I upgraded to HS4 yesterday. When i enable the skill in Alexa and proved the Homeseer login and password, it states that it successfully connected but then when you go to scan the devices, it doesn't discover any of the Homeseer devices.

Yes - Is your myHS license converted from HS3 to HS4 at myhs.homeseer.com?
      Yes - Is your myHS username/password listed under Setup, Users?
      Yes - Is Enable Remote Access through MyHS Service enabled Setup, Network?
      Yes - Is Enable Control with JSON (Required for Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT/Etc.) enabled (also under Settings, Network)
      Yes - Does the myHS app work when it is connected remotely?

Thanks,
      Bryan

Comment

I was finally able to resolve it. I wasn't aware that I had upgrade the license within myhs as well. Once i did that it pulled in the devices. Thanks for your help.

Comment

You're welcome!

Originally posted by balpaugh View Post
          Thank you for your response. I double checked all of these and they are all correct. Everything had been working for years with Alexa until I upgraded to HS4 yesterday. When i enable the skill in Alexa and proved the Homeseer login and password, it states that it successfully connected but then when you go to scan the devices, it doesn't discover any of the Homeseer devices.

No - Is your myHS license converted from HS3 to HS4 at myhs.homeseer.com?
          Yes - Is your myHS username/password listed under Setup, Users?
          Yes - Is Enable Remote Access through MyHS Service enabled Setup, Network?
          Yes - Is Enable Control with JSON (Required for Alexa/Google Home/IFTTT/Etc.) enabled (also under Settings, Network)
          Yes - Does the myHS app work when it is connected remotely?

Thanks,
          Bryan
          HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
          Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
          Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
          Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
          Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
          Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
          Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

I am suddenly having the same problem except with HS3. Alexa no longer discovers new devices. Alexa controls existing ones fine, but when I add a new device it is never discovered. Now I may have messed things up. I also purchased and HS4, while maintaining my HS3, I purchased new plugins for my HS4. I was concerned about problems with doing an upgrade. I created a separate login for the HS4. Things did somehow get mixed up a bit in that the new HS4 appeared in my HS3 login, but Homeseer deleted both of my homseer accounts so I could create a new one. I recreated the HS3 login, I even disabled and reenabled the skill in Alexa, but it sill does not discover new devices.

Comment

Originally posted by feobrien View Post
              I am suddenly having the same problem except with HS3. Alexa no longer discovers new devices. Alexa controls existing ones fine, but when I add a new device it is never discovered. Now I may have messed things up. I also purchased and HS4, while maintaining my HS3, I purchased new plugins for my HS4. I was concerned about problems with doing an upgrade. I created a separate login for the HS4. Things did somehow get mixed up a bit in that the new HS4 appeared in my HS3 login, but Homeseer deleted both of my homseer accounts so I could create a new one. I recreated the HS3 login, I even disabled and reenabled the skill in Alexa, but it sill does not discover new devices.
              I too am having issues with Alexa. I’d been having issues with incomplete commands. If I said kitchen off, it’d turn off 2/5 lights, saying it again might turn off another light, again might get another, etc. I was having to say the command around 5x to turn off all the lights. I decided to unlink and relink the Alexa skill yesterday. I too am on HS3, have bought a license for HS4, but held off because “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. Well it seems like I did break it.

After getting the skill linked I cannot get Alexa to discover any new Alexa devices. I tried trouble shooting using a lot of methods on the forum here and none have helped. The biggest thing I did was delete all existing Alex devices, go into HomeSeer and turn off voice commands for all Alexa devices, turn on voice commands for one device (Z-wave light switch), and then relink the skill. No matter how many times I ran a search in Alexa, it never finds the device. I also tried turning off my router firewall and moving the Homeseer hub into the router’s DMZ which didn’t make a difference. I am able to use the MyHS app to control lights just fine, so I don’t think there’s a problem with the outside world getting into the HomeSeer hub.

I filed a support ticket with HomeSeer and after trying a few things with them, it’s been escalated. I’ll let you know what I hear.

Comment

Support couldn't figure it out for me. I also tried to get help from Amazon. Still no luck

Comment

I don’t know what just happened, but it suddenly started finding devices again, and I’m able to use Alexa for voice control. Maybe support flipped a switch behind the scenes which I was talking with them? Wish I had a better answer that I could share with people

Comment

Originally posted by BrianW View Post
                    I don’t know what just happened, but it suddenly started finding devices again, and I’m able to use Alexa for voice control. Maybe support flipped a switch behind the scenes which I was talking with them? Wish I had a better answer that I could share with people

No such luck here . Tried to see if the devices I added this week, but no. Will open a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by feobrien View Post

No such luck here . Tried to see if the devices I added this week, but no. Will open a ticket.
                      I asked support if they did something behind the scenes, and they said they did not. I have no idea what changed, I’d been trying to add devices for the past 18 hours or so and it just randomly worked this time. Very strange

Comment

90% of all Alexa issues are usually related to Alexa firmware updates. Unfortunately Amazon ain’t too quick to come out and say that. They are usually resolved by a device deletion and discovery process. It is not unique to HS4 either.

Comment

Working...
                        X