Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPv6 support?

Hi,

I have to access a HS4 system that is running on a mixed IPv4 and IPv6 environment. WAN access is only available through IPv6.

I tried to open the right ports to access this system, to no avail. Further testing revealed that I cannot access HS4 over IPv6 at all, not even from the local network or even from the local HS4 computer.

How do I bind HS4 to both the IPv4 and IPv6 port of the local machine?

Thanks!
    stefxx

No one uses IPv6 already? After some testing with the binding options in the labs setup, I start to believe IPv6 is not supported at all! Come on, this is the year 2020 right?

For now I resolved my issue by using a IPv4 to IPv6 forward using socat.
    ​​​​
    stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
      No one uses IPv6 already? After some testing with the binding options in the labs setup, I start to believe IPv6 is not supported at all! Come on, this is the year 2020 right?

For now I resolved my issue by using a IPv4 to IPv6 forward using socat.
      ​​​​
      Depending on your region these here are in support of your views : https://ethancbanks.com/2017/02/01/i...-network-nerd/versus the objectionable views or the shortcomings :

https://www.networkworld.com/article...there-yet.html

When will more deployments occur?

The Internet Society said the price of IPv4 addresses will peak in 2018, and then prices will drop after IPv6 deployment passes the 50% mark. Currently, according to Google, the world has 20% to 22% IPv6 adoption, but in the U.S. it’s about 32%).

As the price of IPv4 addresses begin to drop, the Internet Society suggests that enterprises sell off their existing IPv4 addresses to help fund IPv6 deployment. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology has done this, according to a note posted on GitHub. The university concluded that 8 million of its IPv4 addresses were “excess” and could be sold without impacting current or future needs since it also holds 20 nonillion IPv6 addresses. (A nonillion is the numeral one followed by 30 zeroes.)

In addition, as more deployments occur, more companies will start charging for the use of IPv4 addresses, while providing IPv6 services for free. UK-based ISP Mythic Beasts says “IPv6 connectivity comes as standard,” while “IPv4 connectivity is an optional extra.”

And as it stands for UK : https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/update-on-ipv6-plans-for-virgin-media-talktalk-and-vodafone.html

I guess the above covers everything...................................

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Not sure what you are trying to tell me. Anyone claiming IPv6 is not needed already is probably living in another world than mine. And I am certainly not going into any kind of debate on that.

Back on topic; is there any way to get the HS4 webserver working with an IPv6 address?
        stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
          Not sure what you are trying to tell me. Anyone claiming IPv6 is not needed already is probably living in another world than mine. And I am certainly not going into any kind of debate on that.

Back on topic; is there any way to get the HS4 webserver working with an IPv6 address?
          It's not an argument about not needed but implementation

If you have to read through the links to understand where am coming from and so perhaps your question is directed to the HomeSeer software itself because all the information I provided above stipulates that the infrastructure (devices can already connect using IPv6) is in place but some ISPs have not yet implemented the services worldwide.

Note : This here : https://www.arin.net/resources/guide...pps_for_v6.pdf makes sense to you and HST but for an "average Jeo", "if it's not broken then why fix it?"

So may be you should put in a suggestion?..........................

Eman
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
          X