A simple event - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple event - what am I doing wrong?

I put together a simple event that I intend to trigger manually or call from another event.

It states (copy and pasted here):

IF
    This event is MANUALLY triggered
    AND IF
    Kitchen 1st Floor Counter Light has a value equal to Off

THEN
    Set Device:
    Kitchen 1st Floor Counter Light to Dim 15%

Yet when I manually run this event, no matter what state the light is in (on, off or dimmed), it gets set to 15%.

What am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
    I put together a simple event that I intend to trigger manually or call from another event.

It states (copy and pasted here):
    I don't understand the above.

IF
    This event is MANUALLY triggered
    AND IF

THEN
    Set Device:

Yet when I manually run this event, no matter what state the light is in (on, off or dimmed), it gets set to 15%.

What am I doing wrong?
    It appears to do exactly what you ask.

It might be easier to tell us what you are trying to accomplish...

OTOH, If you are trying the below, you can't do it quite this way...

IF these conditions exist
    AND
    the event is manually triggered
    OR
    a condition exists

THEN do something.

HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

If you click on the running man button to run the event then all conditions will be ignored. So it doesn't matter if your light is off or not.

Comment

It should be pretty explicit what I'm trying to do from the Event statements copied from the event screen?

The use case: if the light is off, and I manually trigger this event, then set the light to 15% dim.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
          If you click on the running man button to run the event then all conditions will be ignored. So it doesn't matter if your light is off or not.
          Really?

What if I trigger the event from HS mobile, is that the same thing?

Comment

If you run your event from another event then you can make it honor the conditions if in that other even you check "Check conditions on target event". See screenshot below. However, the running man ignores the conditions. It's like doing it without "Check conditions on target event" checked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HonorConditions.png
Views:	275
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1407061

Comment

You might try creating a virtual device to be the trigger - like "Kitchen Lights Dim" as an example

If Kitchen Lights Dim has its value set to on
              AND IF

THEN
              Set Device:

Delayed device action of Kitchen Lights Dim to off after 5 seconds to reset the virtual switch monitor.

If the kitchen lights are on, the event will not trigger.

Anytime you want the kitchen lights to dim, just click the Device Kitchen Lights Dim to on and the lights will dim to 15%
              I have several events that I use virtual devices to trigger.
              Dan-O
              HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I'm confused here because no one's advice advice jives wit the official documentation... nowhere does it say event conditions will not be honored if triggered manually or called from another event.

https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...ally-triggered

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                  If you run your event from another event then you can make it honor the conditions if in that other even you check "Check conditions on target event". See screenshot below. However, the running man ignores the conditions. It's like doing it without "Check conditions on target event" checked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HonorConditions.png
Views:	275
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1407061
                  I think this may be the answer, I'll experiment. Thanks.

Comment

That did it mulu , thanks!

Comment

For the record, I don't work for HomeSeer and was offering an idea that does work because I trigger multiple events that way.
                      Been using HS for a while, there's more than one way to do things.

Happy to offer assistance even if it's not in the manual.
                      Dan-O
                      HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan-O View Post
                        For the record, I don't work for HomeSeer and was offering an idea that does work because I trigger multiple events that way.
                        Been using HS for a while, there's more than one way to do things.

Happy to offer assistance even if it's not in the manual.
                        Hey Dan-O, very much appreciate the attempt!

I actually thought about something similar to what you suggested in trying to solve this, in that, creating a "flag" that gets set by the event calling the target event, utilizing a timer with a short life (to eliminate the event conditions from becoming true again.)

But the more I thought of it I was trying to convince myself I shouldn't need a convoluted solution like that... the HS Event engine should be able to handle my simple situation...
                        I was wrong.

Thanks again for the suggestion!

Comment

I'm confused here because no one's advice advice jives wit the official documentation... nowhere does it say event conditions will not be honored if triggered manually or called from another event.

https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...ally-triggered
                          The documentation you cited needs to be updated! I leaned this a while ago...
                          https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/.../hs3-event-clinic/103191-manual-triggered-event-by-condition

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                          As usual - it depends on how the triggering occurs.
                          • If you trigger an event with the run event (>) button on the event page, the conditions are ignored.
                          • If you run the event from another event the conditions are ignored...UNLESS
                          • If you run the event from another event and select the advanced option to run only if conditions are true, then the event conditions will be honored.
                          HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
                          Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
                          Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                          Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
                          Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
                          Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
                          Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

Thanks to everyone's insights, what I ultimately learned is that if one wants to test an event without waiting for the naturally occurring event trigger (time of day for example), then one needs to create a virtual device for the temporary event trigger. The "Run Now" button is kind of pointless if it ignores the Event logical conditions, why HST implemented it that way seems pointless?

Comment

Thanks to everyone's insights, what I ultimately learned is that if one wants to test an event without waiting for the naturally occurring event trigger (time of day for example), then one needs to create a virtual device for the temporary event trigger. The "Run Now" button is kind of pointless if it ignores the Event logical conditions, why HST implemented it that way seems pointless?
                              I find it simpler to just create a calling event to run the event you want to test rather than a virtual device, but there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

It has been a constant source of bafflement and a constantly recurring trip up for every new user for years now. HST must have had their reasons but have never suitably justified them to my knowledge. They have also resisted many calls to change the behaviour.

steve

Comment

Working...
                              X