Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really supposed to take >10 minutes for startup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it really supposed to take >10 minutes for startup?

So I have HS4 set as an "At startup" task in the task scheduler. Even after 10 minutes of waiting, my local (same box) HS4 IP address is not accessable. It's usually up within 15 minutes, but still... that's a LOOOOOONG time for startup. Is this normal? I have 12 plugins.... approx 500 devices (according to about screen)

Originally posted by mjgtp View Post
    So I have HS4 set as an "At startup" task in the task scheduler. Even after 10 minutes of waiting, my local (same box) HS4 IP address is not accessable. It's usually up within 15 minutes, but still... that's a LOOOOOONG time for startup. Is this normal? I have 12 plugins.... approx 500 devices (according to about screen)
    This is not normal, I have significant more devices and my start-up time is about 1 minute I think. I did not measure.
    John

Comment

I'm assuming you're using Windows, you need to check the Windows event logs and the HS4 logs for warnings or errors that might be related.

I've tested many different methods for launching HS4 at startup and this one is the only reliable one I've found that doesn't yield errors, first setup the application user and then setup the task.

https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...ser-auto-login
      https://helpdesk.homeseer.com/articl...hs3-on-windows

Note: even though the examples say the S6 controller, it's essentially like any other Windows PC.

Hope this help,
      -TC1

Comment

Mine on a low power 3.30GHz Xeon processor, running Windows 10 takes about 2 minutes to start, after the O/S has started.

Number of Devices: 3244
        Number of Events: 1614
        Plug-ins: 31

If I move it to a VM with only 2 cores allocated, it can take 10 minutes or longer.

It really depends on your system as HS is processor hungry more than memory hungry. With a dual core celeron or Atom, it could take 10 minutes even with a moderate sized system
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Yea, the scheduled tasks are the same, with the exception if requiring the login (but it's saved for the purposes of starting the HS task). I have HS running on an dedicated intel i5-6200 2.3ghz 16gb ram laptop... not the most brawniest of machines, but HS4 is really the only thing running on it

Comment

I'm running on an old iCore-Duo laptop with 8GB ram and Windows 7 and it's very snappy, but I have nowhere near your complexity (yet). Have you looked at Resource Monitor to see whether it's CPU or Disk bound? I replaced my old 2.5" hard drive with an SSD and that sped things up immensely.

Comment

Are you running any antivirus software?
              I had a similar issue many months back where my system took almost 10 minutes to start HS and load the plugins. Turns out the AV software was causing significant delays loading each plugin.
              You could temporarily disable your AV software to see if that makes any difference. It might help you diagnose the problem.
              Also, can you ping your HS box before starts HS loading? And does your HS box have a static IP address?
              M
              iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
                Have you looked at Resource Monitor to see whether it's CPU or Disk bound? I replaced my old 2.5" hard drive with an SSD and that sped things up immensely.
                +1
                10 minutes seems slow unless you have a very low power machine. It will really help to determine what resource is limiting.
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Well, after I killed off BitDefender (was taking up 8gb of memory) -- startup time is now dramatically faster... still takes about 4 minutes, but I can live with that.

Comment

I'm not sure this will help you keep your AV software running but after working out that my AV software (Webroot Secure Anywhere) was causing problems with HS at startup I set HS to start with a 2 minute delay by using 3rd party software called Startup Delayer. Many HS users use this to launch HS without having to login. Search these forums. And it's easier to use than Task Scheduler.

I suspect that during startup lots of things load up. The AV software is competing with HS and all the associated plugins as well as all the other services and software that Windows uses. Letting the AV software fully load before HS and plugins start loading seemed to help my situation.

No harm in trying.
                    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Kapersky Anti-Virus is notorious for slowing everything down at boot time as it scans everything and takes forever!

Comment

Working...
                      X