"Any" user access doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Any" user access doesn't work

I just tried my partner's non-admin user account, and it doesn't show any devices! It works when I set her to be an admin, and I've confirmed all devices have access rights "Any".

So I tried setting just her to have rights, not the "Any" option - and then she can see stuff. So it looks like "Any" kind of means nobody except admins 🤔

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Actually I can just give her rights and not myself, since I'm an admin I get them anyway, but it looks like an annoying bug.

I can't speak to HS4, but in my experience with HS3 user access controls (and the web server in general) over the course of a year or so were clearly never fully regression tested by HST for impact. For example, when you enable user specific device access, what user context does the JSON (read Google Home and Alexa) API run as?

I tried to use the user controls to "hide" or simplify the web interface for my wife. Why does she need to see "root devices" for example? Seemed to make sense, and worse yet HS3 seemed to support such a concept. It broke multiple undocumented things in Alexa discovery and control.

In addition, session management is/was terrible in HS3. Web servers should treat each web connection as a separate session and manage settings and filters as such. HS3's web server does not. If you open 2 browser sessions and set location 1 and 2 filters, within minutes both sessions will have the same filters.

Very frustrating. I haven't made the move to HS4 yet, but I'm curious if they tested and/or solved any of these issues.

Comment

The single session problem is the same - very annoying when you want to compare devices to make updates and it gets confused about which page you're on.

Comment

Working...
      X