Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The archive with name starting 'hs4_sel' is a "patch" version; the one starting with 'linux' is a "full" version.

The full version is organized such that when unwound, it creates a HomeSeer folder and puts everything in that. You perform the unarchive from the folder above, e.g. /usr/local.

The patch version is organized such that you unwind it from within the HomeSeer folder itself (/usr/local/HomeSeer).
    To illustrate, list the first few entries of each archive:
    Code:
    tar taf linux_4_2_14_0.tar.gz | head
    tar taf hs4_sel_4_2_14_0.tar.gz | head
    Results of the full archive:
    Code:
    HomeSeer/
    HomeSeer/install.sh
    HomeSeer/temp/
    HomeSeer/run_command_raw.sh
    HomeSeer/hs_sentry.log
    HomeSeer/play_audio.sh
    HomeSeer/updatehslinux.sh
    HomeSeer/autostart_hs
    HomeSeer/run_command.sh
    HomeSeer/Grammar/
    Note HomeSeer/ at the start of each entry.

For the patch archive
    Code:
    autostart_hs
    bin/
    bin/homeseer/
    bin/homeseer/PluginSdk.xml
    bin/homeseer/Mono.CSharp.dll
    bin/homeseer/Newtonsoft.Json.xml
    bin/homeseer/ffmpeg
    bin/homeseer/Newtonsoft.Json.Schema.dll
    bin/homeseer/Mail.dll
    bin/homeseer/RssToolkit.dll
    The two archives are virtually the same size. In the past (HS3), the patch versions were significantly smaller, and contained only files that had changed at some point. Nowadays with larger disk sizes, they probably decided it easier/more reliable to include everything with the patch. The extra 300 or so bytes is likely the (compressed) additional 'HomeSeer' path components for each file.

Regarding your updater issue --- are you using an auto-start method? One of the auto-start methods published on the forum has been shown to break the updater - discussion/solution here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...d-as-a-service

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am using systemd to auto start, so I will look into the linked thread.

Comment

Thanks to all the help in this thread I was able to retire my HS4-Pi edition and move it to LXC (Linux Containers) on a Linux (Debian) server. The instructions, if any one else wants to try this, are here: https://megascope.github.io/notes/homeseer_lxc.html

Comment

Working...
        X