Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I have never ran into anything soooo difficult and I have been messing with PC's since the Vic 20. I guess I am not a command line guy. I had to look up how to log into Ubuntu with root access so I could do things with the GUI.

So many issues and confusing statements surrounding HomSeer and a pure Linux installation. Especially with their own tech support calling this kind of installation a "Custom Install" and therefore will not support their own installation instructions. Their version of Windows installation is apparently not custom.
    Even the instructions here in the first post do not include instructions on how to auto start the program on a reboot. I realize others have tried to fill the gap but how do we know if the instructions work or may cause problems with something else? Everything seems to be pieced together. I am not putting anybody down for trying but we need to come together and make something official so we all can see it and improve it if necessary. With only two versions of Linux (Debian and Ubuntu) supported, it should not be that difficult.

I created several instruction sheets for Vera over the years and have shared them on their forums. I would love to create some beginning to end complete instructions anyone, not just a Linux enthusiast, can use to install HS on Linux and without having to look everything up on how to do each step. It is also beneficial for all to see the directions and approve, and or correct as needed. As Open source should be.

If anyone is interested in helping me with creating these instructions, please let me know. Since I am no Linux user or a programmer this stuff is pretty difficult for me to figure out.but I am good at documenting and preparing an instruction set.
    zwolf, you seem to know a lot about this and have helped me before with Linux problems. It would be great to collaborate with you. I totally understand if you are too busy but let me know if you can.

Just trying to help. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamr View Post
      Wow, I have never ran into anything soooo difficult and I have been messing with PC's since the Vic 20. I guess I am not a command line guy. I had to look up how to log into Ubuntu with root access so I could do things with the GUI.

So many issues and confusing statements surrounding HomSeer and a pure Linux installation. Especially with their own tech support calling this kind of installation a "Custom Install" and therefore will not support their own installation instructions. Their version of Windows installation is apparently not custom.
      Even the instructions here in the first post do not include instructions on how to auto start the program on a reboot. I realize others have tried to fill the gap but how do we know if the instructions work or may cause problems with something else? Everything seems to be pieced together. I am not putting anybody down for trying but we need to come together and make something official so we all can see it and improve it if necessary. With only two versions of Linux (Debian and Ubuntu) supported, it should not be that difficult.

I created several instruction sheets for Vera over the years and have shared them on their forums. I would love to create some beginning to end complete instructions anyone, not just a Linux enthusiast, can use to install HS on Linux and without having to look everything up on how to do each step. It is also beneficial for all to see the directions and approve, and or correct as needed. As Open source should be.

If anyone is interested in helping me with creating these instructions, please let me know. Since I am no Linux user or a programmer this stuff is pretty difficult for me to figure out.but I am good at documenting and preparing an instruction set.
      zwolf, you seem to know a lot about this and have helped me before with Linux problems. It would be great to collaborate with you. I totally understand if you are too busy but let me know if you can.

Just trying to help. Thanks.
      No argument from me that the instructions are incomplete, assume a lot of prior Linux knowledge/skills, and include sometimes obsolete, sometimes helpful posts from various users peanut-buttered around this forum. If you are ok running it on a Raspberry Pi 4, then simply installing the HS4 Pi image on a RP 4 is the easiest way to go -- all the steps have been done for you.

Frankly, I suggest that if it's more than you are comfortable handling, then install HS on Windows. The application is the same, since it runs on MS .NET, and the Linux installations run the app on Mono, which is an open-source version of .NET.

Comment

If installing on ubuntu 20.04, the ubuntu distro provided "mono" is missing /usr/lib/mono/4.5/vbc.exe. This is only needed if you want to follow the directions in the second post of this thread (changing /usr/bin/vbnc so .aspx pages can load.) Note that some plugins might need aspx pages, so making this change is worthwhile...

Here's how to get a more current mono distro:
        Code:
        sudo apt install gnupg apt-transport-https ca-certificates

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-focal main'

sudo apt-update
        IF you've already installed the mono packages, you'll want to run "sudo apt upgrade" to update them, otherwise you should install them with:

Code:
        sudo apt install mono-devel mono-vbnc
        Finally, add another package (which isn't available with the ubuntu provided distro):

Code:
        sudo apt install mono-roslyn
        At this point, you should be able to following the instructions provided in the second post of this thread to modify /usr/bin/vbnc.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	RPi_4 Install.png
Views:	928
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1513694 I could use a little help. I have been following the Instructions at the top but 2 packages would not install. This is a new install on a RPi 4b with Debian version 10. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Mooose; December 12, 2021, 09:12 AM. Reason: Try to add screen grab

Comment

Originally posted by Mooose View Post
            I have been following the Instructions at the top but 2 packages would not install. This is a new install on a RPi 4b with Debian version 10.
            Which ones?

"chromium-browser" isn't needed.
            "aplay" isn't a package; the aplay application is included by default in Raspberry OS.

The others should be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
              Which ones?

"chromium-browser" isn't needed.
              "aplay" isn't a package; the aplay application is included by default in Raspberry OS.

The others should be ok.
              In the instructions, we are directed to execute
              apt-get install ffmpeg
              apt-get-install aplay

That is what I included in my screen grab. The ffmpeg said some packages could not be installed and the aplay could not be located.

What should I do next? Anything?

Comment

Sorry, your screen grab isn't showing.

You should be fine.

You can check the installation status of the ffmpeg package with this command
                Code:
                dpkg -V ffmpeg
                This only reports variances; if nothing is printed, all is well.

There is no aplay package, that may have changed since the instructions were posted.

The aplay program is part of package 'alsa-utils'. You can test that it is present via:
                Code:
                which aplay
                which should return "/usr/bin/aplay"

BTW, to determine a files owning package,
                Code:
                dpkg -S /usr/bin/aplay
                returns "alsa-utils: /usr/bin/aplay"

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                  Sorry, your screen grab isn't showing.

You should be fine.

You can check the installation status of the ffmpeg package with this command
                  Code:
                  dpkg -V ffmpeg
                  This only reports variances; if nothing is printed, all is well.

There is no aplay package, that may have changed since the instructions were posted.

The aplay program is part of package 'alsa-utils'. You can test that it is present via:
                  Code:
                  which aplay
                  which should return "/usr/bin/aplay"

BTW, to determine a files owning package,
                  Code:
                  dpkg -S /usr/bin/aplay
                  returns "alsa-utils: /usr/bin/aplay"
                  Thanks. I did both of the tests you suggested and all seems well. Can you see the screen grab now in post 19?

Comment

Can you see the screen grab now in post 19?
                    I can see the screen grab now.

You said "This is a new install on a RPi 4b with Debian version 10." Do you mean Raspberry OS? I just tried installing on Raspberry OS 10 and it installs ok (see below)

ffmpeg is a media converter package, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFmpeg

At worst, you may run into issues when dealing with media files.

Is the ffmpeg application available?
                    Code:
                     $ which ffmpeg
                    /usr/bin/ffmpeg

Code:
                     $ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree
                    Reading state information... Done
                    The following additional packages will be installed:
                    fontconfig fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core libaacs0 libaom0 libass9
                    libasyncns0 libavc1394-0 libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7
                    libavformat58 libavresample4 libavutil56 libbdplus0 libbluray2 libbs2b0
                    libcaca0 libcairo2 libcdio-cdda2 libcdio-paranoia2 libcdio18 libchromaprint1
                    libcodec2-0.8.1 libcroco3 libdatrie1 libdc1394-22 libdrm-amdgpu1
                    libdrm-common libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libfftw3-double3
                    libflac8 libflite1 libfontconfig1 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-bin
                    libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgl1 libgl1-mesa-dri libglapi-mesa libglvnd0
                    libglx-mesa0 libglx0 libgme0 libgraphite2-3 libgsm1 libharfbuzz0b libice6
                    libiec61883-0 libjack-jackd2-0 libjbig0 liblilv-0-0 libllvm9 libmp3lame0
                    libmpg123-0 libmysofa0 libnorm1 libogg0 libopenal-data libopenal1
                    libopenjp2-7 libopenmpt0 libopus0 libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0
                    libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpgm-5.2-0 libpixman-1-0 libpostproc55 libpulse0
                    libraw1394-11 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common librubberband2 libsdl2-2.0-0
                    libsensors-config libsensors5 libserd-0-0 libshine3 libsm6 libsnappy1v5
                    libsndfile1 libsndio7.0 libsodium23 libsord-0-0 libsoxr0 libspeex1
                    libsratom-0-0 libssh-gcrypt-4 libswresample3 libswscale5 libthai-data
                    libthai0 libtheora0 libtiff5 libtwolame0 libva-drm2 libva-x11-2 libva2
                    libvdpau-va-gl1 libvdpau1 libvidstab1.1 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
                    libvorbisfile3 libvpx5 libwavpack1 libwayland-client0 libwayland-cursor0
                    libwayland-egl1 libwebp6 libwebpmux3 libx11-xcb1 libx264-155 libx265-165
                    libxcb-dri2-0 libxcb-dri3-0 libxcb-glx0 libxcb-present0 libxcb-render0
                    libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-sync1 libxcb-xfixes0 libxcursor1
                    libxdamage1 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxkbcommon0 libxrandr2
                    libxrender1 libxshmfence1 libxss1 libxtst6 libxv1 libxvidcore4 libxxf86vm1
                    libzmq5 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers
                    va-driver-all vdpau-driver-all x11-common
                    Suggested packages:
                    ffmpeg-doc libbluray-bdj libfftw3-bin libfftw3-dev jackd2 libportaudio2
                    opus-tools pulseaudio libraw1394-doc librsvg2-bin lm-sensors serdi sndiod
                    sordi speex
                    The following NEW packages will be installed:
                    ffmpeg fontconfig fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core libaacs0 libaom0
                    libass9 libasyncns0 libavc1394-0 libavcodec58 libavdevice58 libavfilter7
                    libavformat58 libavresample4 libavutil56 libbdplus0 libbluray2 libbs2b0
                    libcaca0 libcairo2 libcdio-cdda2 libcdio-paranoia2 libcdio18 libchromaprint1
                    libcodec2-0.8.1 libcroco3 libdatrie1 libdc1394-22 libdrm-amdgpu1
                    libdrm-common libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm2 libfftw3-double3
                    libflac8 libflite1 libfontconfig1 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-bin
                    libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgl1 libgl1-mesa-dri libglapi-mesa libglvnd0
                    libglx-mesa0 libglx0 libgme0 libgraphite2-3 libgsm1 libharfbuzz0b libice6
                    libiec61883-0 libjack-jackd2-0 libjbig0 liblilv-0-0 libllvm9 libmp3lame0
                    libmpg123-0 libmysofa0 libnorm1 libogg0 libopenal-data libopenal1
                    libopenjp2-7 libopenmpt0 libopus0 libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0
                    libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpgm-5.2-0 libpixman-1-0 libpostproc55 libpulse0
                    libraw1394-11 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common librubberband2 libsdl2-2.0-0
                    libsensors-config libsensors5 libserd-0-0 libshine3 libsm6 libsnappy1v5
                    libsndfile1 libsndio7.0 libsodium23 libsord-0-0 libsoxr0 libspeex1
                    libsratom-0-0 libssh-gcrypt-4 libswresample3 libswscale5 libthai-data
                    libthai0 libtheora0 libtiff5 libtwolame0 libva-drm2 libva-x11-2 libva2
                    libvdpau-va-gl1 libvdpau1 libvidstab1.1 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
                    libvorbisfile3 libvpx5 libwavpack1 libwayland-client0 libwayland-cursor0
                    libwayland-egl1 libwebp6 libwebpmux3 libx11-xcb1 libx264-155 libx265-165
                    libxcb-dri2-0 libxcb-dri3-0 libxcb-glx0 libxcb-present0 libxcb-render0
                    libxcb-shape0 libxcb-shm0 libxcb-sync1 libxcb-xfixes0 libxcursor1
                    libxdamage1 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxinerama1 libxkbcommon0 libxrandr2
                    libxrender1 libxshmfence1 libxss1 libxtst6 libxv1 libxvidcore4 libxxf86vm1
                    libzmq5 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers
                    va-driver-all vdpau-driver-all x11-common
                    0 upgraded, 149 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 69.4 MB of archives.
                    After this operation, 714 MB of additional disk space will be used.
                    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Comment

Yes Debian 10 on a Pi. It seems that ffmeg is installed OK now. I am confused.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	RPi_4 Install.png Views:	8 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	1513694 I could use a little help. I have been following the Instructions at the top but 2 packages would not install. This is a new install on a RPi 4b with Debian version 10. Any suggestions?

Where, exactly, did you download the operating system image you are using? You should be using Raspberry Pi OS, not plain vanilla Debian,

Raspberry PI OS was recently upgraded to be based on Debian 11 (Bullseye) vs Debian 10 (Buster). We don't know yet if there are any problems running HS4 on Bullseye. I'd suggest downloading and using Raspberry Pi "Legacy" from here: https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/

Comment

I built the Linux on my own so I could run the Standard version HS4 on a Rpi4. I was upgrading from HS4-Pi in a Rpi 3b.

Comment

I built the Linux on my own so I could run the Standard version HS4 on a Rpi4. I was upgrading from HS4-Pi in a Rpi 3b.
                            You can start with Raspberry Pi OS's "lite" image, then install HS4 standard on top of it. Plain Debian does not have the various hardware-specific files (e.g.firmware for the Pi SOC).

Comment

I've moved my HS3-Pi and HS4-Pro 'test' installations to Raspberry OS bullseye, seems to run fine.

HS3-Pi is on an Rpi 3b and the HS4-Pro is on a 4b.

There isn't a 'bullseye' mono distribution at this time, use 'buster' instead.

Comment

Good news! Thanks for testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X