Alternative to the (broken) hs.OpenComPortTerm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to the (broken) hs.OpenComPortTerm

I have a couple of old serial devices that have been providing sterling service with HS3 but are no longer functioning as hs.OpenComPortTerm is broken in HS4.

I'd be really grateful if anyone has a solution they could share.

PS.... Yes, I've reported it to Homeseer support.

Hi Jez,

Luckily I tested my scripts and found this out before I migrated to HS4. I'm working with HST to hopefully get this fixed soon.

HSCS-1413
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Jez I'm assuming you are running Windows 10? What kind of COM port hardware do you have? Make/Model?
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Yes, I'm running on Windows 10.
        I've got an old Meteor CID device and a Quasar 3145 with 4 temperature sensors. Both are old but work perfectly with HS3, the Meteor is kind of essential now.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
          Hi Jez,

Luckily I tested my scripts and found this out before I migrated to HS4. I'm working with HST to hopefully get this fixed soon.

HSCS-1413
          Is this the same kenm that’s actively encouraging HS users to migrate to Home Assistant yet you say you are working with HST on this issue. Interesting yet a little confusing at the same time indeed https://community.home-assistant.io/...gee/181820/228

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
            Hi Jez,

HSCS-1413
            Can anybody else see this ticket? I'm told I don't have permission.
            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
            Home Assistant 2024.3
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

Is this the same kenm that’s actively encouraging HS users to migrate to Home Assistant yet you say you are working with HST on this issue. Interesting yet a little confusing at the same time indeed https://community.home-assistant.io/...gee/181820/228
              Yes, same kenm. I don't know that I'd call it actively encouraging. As you can see from my posts, I initially ran away from HS4, and stated that I would be staying with HS3 After a few months of using HA, I moved everything back to HS3 except MQTT, which is how I'm feeding data to HA for a UI. I've also got involved in the pyhs3/homeseer Z-wave custom component with Mark Coombes, so I've been helping out with that as well.

I agree it's a little confusing but I've been an HS user since 1999 so I feel almost obligated to help debug and fix a problem in HS4 once I find it. The situation I have right now is that I've moved my HS3 instance to a new platform, so I can't run HS3 and HS4 at the same time on that new platform.

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

Can anybody else see this ticket? I'm told I don't have permission.
                Let me check. Maybe I have to make it public or something.

EDIT: It doesn't look like the new help desk software allows public access. Seems like a recipe for a bunch of duplicate tickets

Comment

Hi Jez ,

The Serial profile of the Big5 Plugin appears to be broken as well in HS4 so I'll add that info to my ticket. The only option I can think of at this point would be to use some kind of external serial program that could write data to a text file and then have a script read the data from the text file.

Ken

Comment

mcsMQTT supports serial port devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                      mcsMQTT supports serial port devices.
                      Excellent. Can I presume it's all working with HS4? If so I'll install it and see how I get on.

Comment

Other option is Node Red now has native support in HS4. Node Red also has serial com port modules available.

I am using this to read entered PIN numbers from a serially connected pinpad and store the pin as a device value in HS.

Comment

Excellent. Can I presume it's all working with HS4? If so I'll install it and see how I get on.
                          Yes it is working with HS4. It is described in Section 12.4 of the mcsMQTT manual

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
                            Other option is Node Red now has native support in HS4. Node Red also has serial com port modules available.

I am using this to read entered PIN numbers from a serially connected pinpad and store the pin as a device value in HS.
                            Yes Node Red will certainly negate the requirement for 3rd party solutions. I’d much prefer this route as it gives HS users more autonomy when it using different types of hardware/protocols.

Comment

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but does Node Red code run on the same system as HS4 or a different system? The reason I ask is because I have an 8-port USB-to-Serial adapter that needs to stay connected to my HS4 system. A program outside of HS4 also uses that serial adapter. If the same system, does it or can it start and stop along with HS4 or is it independent?

Thanks,
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X