Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restore Events? View Events from a Backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore Events? View Events from a Backup?

I noticed today that an entire room/group of events has been deleted from my HS setup. I have no clue how this happened (whether it was a glitch in HS, whether I accidently did it without realizing, or maybe one of my kids somehow did it). Regardless of how it happened, I am curious if there is any way to do a partial restore and only restore events from a recent back up. Or if there is a way to "view" any of my previous backups just to get a list of events so I can remember everything that I have to rebuild.

Check in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json. There should be a file called events.json.bak. So you could try the following:

1) Shut down HS4
    2) Make a copy of events.json just in case something goes wrong.
    3) Delete events.json
    4) Rename events.json.back to events.json
    5) Start HS4 and check if you see the events again

Depending on the result you might want to revert back to your original events.json

Comment

Originally posted by lingerba View Post
      I noticed today that an entire room/group of events has been deleted from my HS setup. I have no clue how this happened (whether it was a glitch in HS, whether I accidently did it without realizing, or maybe one of my kids somehow did it). Regardless of how it happened, I am curious if there is any way to do a partial restore and only restore events from a recent back up. Or if there is a way to "view" any of my previous backups just to get a list of events so I can remember everything that I have to rebuild.
      To save yourself from a headache, if you have a recent backup just restore it the way you saved it

Edit : mulu has a better idea!

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        Check in C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json. There should be a file called events.json.bak. So you could try the following:

1) Shut down HS4
        3) Delete events.json

Depending on the result you might want to revert back to your original events.json
        Are you assuming the user is on the Windows platform. Most of the posts I’m seeing from new forum members are probably new HomeTroller (Linux based) owners.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

1) Shut down HS4
          3) Delete events.json

It looks like this work. I took the events.json out of a recent backup that I had and copied it over. All of the events that were missing show up in a grouping called, "ungrouped", but I can easily change the group name.

I am so glad this worked because I definitely did not remember all of these events I had made.

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by lingerba View Post

It looks like this work. I took the events.json out of a recent backup that I had and copied it over. All of the events that were missing show up in a grouping called, "ungrouped", but I can easily change the group name.

I am so glad this worked because I definitely did not remember all of these events I had made.

Thank you for your help!
            Are you using the Windows or Linux version of HS4

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

Are you using the Windows or Linux version of HS4
              Windows

Comment

Same issue. This thread helped me. I just wanted to add the following that fixed my events.

Issue - After power outage - Next day all events are gone/missing.

Fix...

1 - rename events.json to events.json.back.(date)
                2 - copy events.json.back and name events.json
                3 - Reboot
                4 - Reinstall current HS version

This got me back to 100%

Note.... I noticed my automated backups failed me. I now download a local backup after any changes. Just to be save.
                I have 50+ devices and two dozen events or more. A current local backup is priceless.

Comment

Working...
                X