Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa does not discover any HomeSeer devices after upgrade to HS4

HI,

After 3 days with support resolving a password issue, I now have upgraded from HS3 to HS4.
    I then re-loaded the "HomeSeer SmartHome" skill and it will not discover ANY of my 20+ devices.
    I also tried the "HomeSeer Home Auotmation Skill" skill with the same results.
    I have disabled and re-loaded both skills many times with the same results.
    When HS4 connects to Alexa account, it uses: https://myhs.homeseer.com/EchoSH/EchoSH_Default.aspx

Anyone have any suggestions? My setup is pretty useless without Alexa integration.

System:
    Hardware: HomeTroller-SEL PRO
    Network: Alexa and HS4 both on same local LAN.

You should put in a support ticket as it's most likely a license issue. Did you update your myHS account to use your HS4 license?

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yes I did. When support reset my license so that I could register, I registered and at step 4, the process froze for hours.
      Support said "no worries, you can do that later". I know of no other way to "transfer" my Alexa devices from HS3 to HS4 except to simply add them via the plugin. But it appears that my HS4 license, my Insteon, Z-wave and HSBuddy plugins are all "OKAY" and that the "MyHS" account is pointing to my HS4 instance.
      Everything APPEARS fine, but no device recognition from Alexa.

Comment

Originally posted by hphaas View Post
        Yes I did. When support reset my license so that I could register, I registered and at step 4, the process froze for hours.
        Support said "no worries, you can do that later". I know of no other way to "transfer" my Alexa devices from HS3 to HS4 except to simply add them via the plugin. But it appears that my HS4 license, my Insteon, Z-wave and HSBuddy plugins are all "OKAY" and that the "MyHS" account is pointing to my HS4 instance.
        Everything APPEARS fine, but no device recognition from Alexa.
        What you can do is delete each device individually in your Amazon Alexa account, unlink your Homeseer Skill in the same account, link it again and then run Discovery on your Alexa. That should find all your Homeseer devices in Alexa.

Comment

Thanks - so I did not remove them individually, but I have removed all devices many times and reloaded one or the other skill.
          I'm not sure how removing them one at a time would make any difference - but at this point I'm willing to try anything.
          And actually - anything I remove would be a device recognized by Alexa, and NOT a HomeSeer device. So it makes no sense that removing a WIZ device would have any affect on a HomeSeer device....
          Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

What you can do is delete each device individually in your Amazon Alexa account, unlink your Homeseer Skill in the same account, link it again and then run Discovery on your Alexa. That should find all your Homeseer devices in Alexa.
            So I removed each Alexa device individually this morning. Disabled the skill, re-linked the skill and ran discovery.
            Still - no HomeSeer devices at all. 🤔

Comment

Thanks - so I did not remove them individually, but I have removed all devices many times and reloaded one or the other skill.
              I'm not sure how removing them one at a time would make any difference - but at this point I'm willing to try anything.
              And actually - anything I remove would be a device recognized by Alexa, and NOT a HomeSeer device. So it makes no sense that removing a WIZ device would have any affect on a HomeSeer device....
              Just sayin'
              There’s an anomaly in Alexa where the bulk device delete doesn’t always work. Hence the individual delete of each device.

Anyway I’ve given you a method that has worked for me so it’s entirely up to you if you use it. Assuming all your licensing and account issues are resolved why not try it

Comment

And I appreciate it - and I did use it - it just did not work for me.

Comment

And I appreciate it - and I did use it - it just did not work for me.
                  It sounds like the account issue is still not resolved so. Go back to support and outline what you’ve done to date.

Comment

So after tons of work and getting support invloved. Support did something that I havent seen posted and it work.

I literally did everything. Delete, remove voice, add voice, relink skills, disable potential plugs in causing issues. delete nodes with errors, etc/

It wasnt until support did the following:

Some users will experience timeouts when Alexa tries to discover devices, I have asked an engineer to place a special measure on your account which should prevent timeouts from being an issue. As such, I recommend unlinking and relinking Alexa with HS4, then running device discovery twice.

Not sure what that means but it worked afterwards.

Ironically not that its fixed, I have decided not to use and use Node-Red instead because it allows me room specific commands without saying the room. It knows what Alexa I said it from and ties the tv, fan, light, etc to that room and has made my home automation and control a huge step up.

Comment

Originally posted by mbg0333 View Post
                      So after tons of work and getting support invloved. Support did something that I havent seen posted and it work.

I literally did everything. Delete, remove voice, add voice, relink skills, disable potential plugs in causing issues. delete nodes with errors, etc/

It wasnt until support did the following:

Some users will experience timeouts when Alexa tries to discover devices, I have asked an engineer to place a special measure on your account which should prevent timeouts from being an issue. As such, I recommend unlinking and relinking Alexa with HS4, then running device discovery twice.

Not sure what that means but it worked afterwards.

Ironically not that its fixed, I have decided not to use and use Node-Red instead because it allows me room specific commands without saying the room. It knows what Alexa I said it from and ties the tv, fan, light, etc to that room and has made my home automation and control a huge step up.
                      Yes in post #4 I suggested unlinking and linking your HS Skill in Amazon Alexa. That’s referenced to your account. The fact that they suggested running Discovery twice may possibly have been the key here.

Yes it’s coming to the stage where Node Red with HS4 is replacing a lot of what was required in HS3. Another great reason to update to HS4 as you’ve experienced here.

Comment

However I didn't just link and unlink... They went in and did something before I could do that and make it work.

I asked for more details and they said.

I'm glad to hear that this is working now! There was a timeout when Alexa tried reading and adding your devices, so on the first discovery a file was created on our end to log the device data so that during the next discovery, it only had to read that data. This is not something that can be done from a customer's end.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mbg0333 View Post
                          However I didn't just link and unlink... They went in and did something before I could do that and make it work.

I asked for more details and they said.

I'm glad to hear that this is working now! There was a timeout when Alexa tried reading and adding your devices, so on the first discovery a file was created on our end to log the device data so that during the next discovery, it only had to read that data. This is not something that can be done from a customer's end.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                          It’s the “something they did” that’s interesting. Your device list was firstly created on their servers after running the Amazon Alexa discover process. So the discovery process for you was completed after you ran a second Amazon Alexa Discovery between the the HS server and your local install. That’s certainly interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

Yes it’s coming to the stage where Node Red with HS4 is replacing a lot of what was required in HS3. . . .
                            What is this Node-Red y'all are talking about?

Hap

Comment

Two things worth checking are that you have the username and password you use for MyHS set as a user in HS4 and also that the device you are setting with voice control has the user permission set to that use or the All user for this to function.
                              Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                              X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                              Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                              Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                              Scripts =
                              Various

Comment

Working...
                              X