Event For Double Clicking Light Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event For Double Clicking Light Switch

I saw some thread about a z-wave light switch that has a status for double click. It is then possible to trigger events when the light switch is double clicked. I looked at my Cooper Wiring 9540 and 9542 switches in HS device manager and I don't see any such status value. Is there a way to trigger events based on double 'clicks' on those switches short of using scripts?

Those Cooper models are not central scene capable, unless the device supports that Z-wave feature you will not get a status back other than the state of the switch (On/Off) or dim level (if it's a dimmer).

Comment

Poor mans central scene. You could create a counter each time a switch was turned on, include a delayed event to reset counter to zero after some timeframe 1 min perhaps. Then create an event that if the counter becomes 2 or 3 or whatever you perform some action.

Now the drawback. You would need to figure out the average time it takes for the on status to be recorded by homeseer so you knew how long you had to pause between on and off and on again. This would likely be significantly longer than a switch with a central scene.
      HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
      Number of Devices: 1005
      Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
        Poor mans central scene. You could create a counter each time a switch was turned on, include a delayed event to reset counter to zero after some timeframe 1 min perhaps. Then create an event that if the counter becomes 2 or 3 or whatever you perform some action.

Now the drawback. You would need to figure out the average time it takes for the on status to be recorded by homeseer so you knew how long you had to pause between on and off and on again. This would likely be significantly longer than a switch with a central scene.
        Other drawback is that you end up blinking the lights that are connected to that switch, which can be annoying if there are other folks in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
          I saw some thread about a z-wave light switch that has a status for double click. It is then possible to trigger events when the light switch is double clicked. I looked at my Cooper Wiring 9540 and 9542 switches in HS device manager and I don't see any such status value. Is there a way to trigger events based on double 'clicks' on those switches short of using scripts?
          If your switch supports the double clicks (and more clicks) then this is very easy with an event on the status that the Light switched changed to whatever status the switches sets when you double click it. I use this for exiting and entering the house and for night mode as examples.

If the switch doesn't support the extra clicks then what JMaddox suggested also works well. I do this to turn the gazebo outdoor outlet that controls our gazebo lights.
          Turn the deck lights on. I then have an event that fires on the deck lights had it status set to On, with the condition that the deck lights are on - which then executes the command to turn the gazebo lights on. I do this with off too.

Make sure you set both the events to not re-trigger within a second or two otherwise, the lights might go on and off rapidly.
          Dan-O
          HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
            Those Cooper models are not central scene capable, unless the device supports that Z-wave feature you will not get a status back other than the state of the switch (On/Off) or dim level (if it's a dimmer).
            Thanks. Too bad...

Comment

Working...
            X