Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MyHS will not connect to HS4 on same network - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyHS will not connect to HS4 on same network - Solved!

I am having problems using MyHS to connect to the HS4 server.

I was using HS3 for a number of years and never had a problem using MyHS to connect to HS3. However, I decided to upgrade HS3 to HS4. The upgrade path I used was to copy the HS3 directory and rename the new directory to "Homeseer HS4". Before upgrading, I made sure I deleted the user.cfg files in the Config folder and made sure HS3 was not running by rebooting system. The upgrade process went pretty smoothly and all my devices were transferred over.

However, my problem I am having is when I try and connect to the HS4 server from another machine in the same subnet, it will not connect. I only have this problem with HS4.
    Summary of what works and does not using MyHS
    1) Connecting from a PC on the same subnet to HS3 -- Works
    2) Connecting from a PC NOT on the same subnet (through the internet) to HS3 -- Works
    3) Connecting from a PC NOT on the same subnet (through the internet) to HS4 -- Works
    4) Connecting from a PC on the same subnet to HS4 -- Does not Work

I have disabled all firewalls and verified the router is not blocking access ( I can ping the HS4 server from any machine on the network)

Has anyone had this problem?

Carl

May be related to that setting in the image :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nopas.png
Views:	829
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	1432287

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
      May be related to that setting in the image :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nopas.png
Views:	829
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	1432287

Eman.
      I have that checked mark but still does not work.
      Not sure how to use the line below the arrow.

Carl

Comment

No, I removed that because those are my computers.
        But you would normally insert your local devices which communicate with your HomeSee server ex. 192.168.*.*, 192.168.1.56, ................extra

Note : the 192.168.*.* or other subnet you have should account for all the computer on your network.

Sometimes set like this : 192.168.*.*;10.*.*.*;172.17.*.*

Eman.

Comment

Found out what the issue was.

On the HS4 server machine, I use Windows Defender firewall. Under the "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" HS4 was listed twice. The private checkbox was checked in first instance and the public checkbox was checked in the second instance. I deleted the second instance and checked both public and private checkboxes. This matches what the HS3 settings were and it works now. Not sure why there were 2 instances but did clear up the issue.

Thanks to all
          Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Ckerch View Post
            Found out what the issue was.

On the HS4 server machine, I use Windows Defender firewall. Under the "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" HS4 was listed twice. The private checkbox was checked in first instance and the public checkbox was checked in the second instance. I deleted the second instance and checked both public and private checkboxes. This matches what the HS3 settings were and it works now. Not sure why there were 2 instances but did clear up the issue.

Thanks to all
            Carl
            Warning! Go back to Windows firewall turn off stuff which communicates through the firewall using public. (what that means that anyone on the internet can access your network) Also check your NIC that is listed as Private but not Public (right click it in the task menu below on the bottom right of your screen) https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...ic-windows-10/

More on security : https://www.safety.com/how-to-protec...-from-hackers/

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post

Warning! Go back to Windows firewall turn off stuff which communicates through the firewall using public. (what that means that anyone on the internet can access your network) Also check your NIC that is listed as Private but not Public (right click it in the task menu below on the bottom right of your screen) https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-...ic-windows-10/

More on security : https://www.safety.com/how-to-protec...-from-hackers/

Eman.
              This is very good information. I have been reviewing it and unchecking the public boxes in "Apps allowed through firewall" settings . It did cause my problem to reappear with not connecting through the local network but once I changed the ethernet setting to "Private" (it was set to Public) it fixed my initial problem of not connecting locally. So I guess the real fix was to change the network interface setting. This was a blessing in disguise, it highlighted my security flaws.

Thank You
              Carl

Comment

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I wanted to add my thank you for this info. I'm new to Homeseer/HStouch, and making heavy use of the forums to get things working. I had some "funkiness" with the Sonos plug in. It wouldn't properly report back info to Homeseer/HStouch. I discovered that if I opened up Windows Defender Firewall completely that everything worked - in particular turning off the firewall for the "Public Network" was critical. Of course, I'm not comfortable with that situation so I dug into the setting to "Allow an app through firewall" and discovered a similar situation to what Ckerch reported. HS4 was only listed once, but the Sonos plugin was listed twice - once with the private checkbox checked and once with the public checkbox checked. I deleted the second instance, and checked both the private and public checkbox for the remaining one. Then I closed up the Firewall for both Private and Public, and all works properly. Big thanks to this community for saving me gobs of time by reporting these issues in the forums.

- Mark

Comment

I wanted to add to this thread, since I found it by typing in a similar problem to Google:
                  My issue was that after a large Windows update my private LAN connection (ethernet, in my case) was re-labeled a public network. I had to go in and re-assign it to "private" before it all started working again! Easy fix, but since I didn't make the change it really threw me for a loop for about half an hour!

Comment

Working...
                  X