Stack Overflow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stack Overflow

I'm testing HS4 with a plan to migrate. I'm running on Linux Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, with mono 6.8.0

I have no plugins.

I try to create or edit a virtual device and my log file shows:

Error in device_prop: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.

I see 14 of these for every device.

Any ideas on what's going wrong? How do I troubleshoot this?

Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

To start your Ubuntu is very old and so Mono.
    • But also note before you upgrade, Ubuntu 20.04 has been known to stop some USB devices from working (not specifically at HomeSeer but also elsewhere). I read somewhere some guru saying that you remove all your devices before you upgrade.
    • And also someone suggested to go for Ubuntu 20.10

Please note there information I have mentioned above may not be linked to what you see but there was issues with Mono in earlier builds of HS4.
    But the HS4 Linux install instructions are here : https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...g+HS4+on+Linux

Else, PM zwolfpack for assitance

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Upgraded to 20.04 LTS - can't possibly see the benefit of upgrading to a release that has short-term support.
      All packages are installed and I'm running as root
      I don't have any USB devices, so not concerned there

I just wish there was a bit more of a debug log so I can see what's throwing the exception and try and address it.
      Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
        Thanks for the advice.

Upgraded to 20.04 LTS - can't possibly see the benefit of upgrading to a release that has short-term support.

I just wish there was a bit more of a debug log so I can see what's throwing the exception and try and address it.
        Directly contact zwolfpack He is a guru at Linux and he help people a lot.

Else, mono-vbnc previously caused issues.

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Just navigate your way to /var/log/syslog and you should be able to view all the log information you need to inspect on your system.

Alternatively you can issue the following command at the terminal to launch HS manually and watch all the logging activity in real time while opening HS in the GUI from your browser bar.

sudo mono HSConsole.exe --log

Most of this has been discussed in detail on the forum. A forum search will yield the results you require.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

Just navigate your way to /var/log/syslog and you should be able to view all the log information you need to inspect on your system.

Alternatively you can issue the following command at the terminal to launch HS manually and watch all the logging activity in real time while opening HS in the GUI from your browser bar.

Most of this has been discussed in detail on the forum. A forum search will yield the results you require.

Homeseer does not log to syslog so that doesn't help.
            Bu default hs4 runs
            Code:
            in the "go" script that's run when following the recommended installation instructions. It's in this output that I'm seeing the error. But, of course, no detail of the overflow, no stack trace, no indication of what's causing it.

When you say "most of this has been discussed" - I can't find much in the way of solutions, just similar problems.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...e-field-issues

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs4-products/hs4-software/hs4-pro-beta-releases/1380690-hs-pro-4_0_5_0

Most posts suggest that the mono-vbnc package is not installed. However:

Code:
            $apt -qq list mono-vbnc
            mono-vbnc/focal,now 4.0.1-3 all [installed]
            I've also installed mono-complete in case I was missing something in mono.

I've logged a support ticket to see what assistance HST can offer.

Comment

Homeseer does not log to syslog so that doesn't help.
              Bu default hs4 runs
              Code:
              in the "go" script that's run when following the recommended installation instructions. It's in this output that I'm seeing the error. But, of course, no detail of the overflow, no stack trace, no indication of what's causing it.

When you say "most of this has been discussed" - I can't find much in the way of solutions, just similar problems.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...e-field-issues

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs4-products/hs4-software/hs4-pro-beta-releases/1380690-hs-pro-4_0_5_0

Most posts suggest that the mono-vbnc package is not installed. However:

Code:
              $apt -qq list mono-vbnc
              mono-vbnc/focal,now 4.0.1-3 all [installed]
              I've also installed mono-complete in case I was missing something in mono.

I've logged a support ticket to see what assistance HST can offer.
              Yes I’m aware that HS doesn’t log to that folder. It was just if you wanted to dig any deeper into your system I suggested that location. It’s so difficult to see from posts lately who are familiar with Linux and who are not. Clearly you are the former.

One piece of advice though. Grab yourself the latest stable version of Mono, 6.12 as far as I know. You’re on 6.8 a little behind at this stage. The upgrade has resolved a number of runtime errors for some.

Comment

Working...
              X