This Device Has a Value NOT Equal to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Device Has a Value NOT Equal to

I have been scratching my head on this one....
    How do I create a event with a condition that says "This device has a Value NOT equal to 0"

The only thing I can configure for an event is "This device has a value equal to..."

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS4-NOT Equal-1.png
Views:	416
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1433961

If the "NOT Equal" option is not possible, defining a range would also work. For example "Between 1..100".

Name:	HS4-NOT Equal-2.png
Views:	385
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1433962
    The field label "Start Value" suggests this is possible but I have no idea about the correct syntax.

As always, your help is appreciated.

Francois.

Choose the one below, i.e. This Device Had its value set and is Not Equal to ... 0. The naming is a big unfortunate as it sound more like a trigger.

Comment

I had seen the suggestion in several other posts and when I tried it, it did not seem to work, this is why tuned to the forum.

Based on your feedback I tried again and learned that this was not a problem of the condition with the unfortunate name but it was caused by the plugin. I was trying to build a condition based on a JowiHUE device being NOT 0 but for some reason this did not work. When I tested with the HS HUE plugin in found it to works.

Thanks for the suggestion, it helped me find the root cause.

Comment

Small question ..... can someone confirm this means the same, or is there a difference?
        -the device had it's value set and is not equal to
        -the device has a value not equal to

The top one is one you can select ,but I don't get the meaning of it , unless it means the same is in the second line.

Thanks,
        Cor

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
          Small question ..... can someone confirm this means the same, or is there a difference?
          -the device had it's value set and is not equal to
          -the device has a value not equal to

The top one is one you can select ,but I don't get the meaning of it , unless it means the same is in the second line.

Thanks,
          Cor
          Yes, it means the same.

"the device had it's value set and is not equal to" is erroneously named. It means the device has a value not equal to...

The last three options really should be named:

This Device Has a Value Not Equal to
          This Device Has a Value Greater Than
          This Device Has a Value Less Than
          HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
          Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
          Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
          Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
          Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
          Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
          Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

dbrunt: Thanks , Since it has another wording I was thinking It might mean something else.

👍

Cor

Comment

Originally posted by dbrunt View Post
              Yes, it means the same.
              "the device had it's value set and is not equal to" is erroneously named. It means the device has a value not equal to...
              The last three options really should be named:

This Device Has a Value Not Equal to
              This Device Has a Value Greater Than
              This Device Has a Value Less Than
              Thanks for sharing this!

So instead of:

Name:	hs4-bug-gui-event-trigger-1-currently.png
Views:	348
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1437353

It should be:

Name:	hs4-bug-gui-event-trigger-2-shouldbe.png
Views:	341
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1437354
              Wow that is a serious bug. You know how often I've been looking at the "had it's value set and is not equal to" thinking "arrghh the value was set days ago".

I have opened a support case even though none of my cases (since 30 days) have even been looked at. Not a single reply.

Comment

I think the phrase "This Device Had Its Value Set And..." was originally supposed to infer that each time the device's "Last Change" time changes the trigger will fire, even if the actual value of the device does not change.

Most rules engines use separate groupings of "Conditions" and "Triggers" and then use present tense or past tense verbs to help clarify their meaning.

Condition verbs should be worded past tense which indicates the device had a prior movement and is now at rest. Examples: "Changed", "Is", "Is Equal To", "Is Not Equal To", "Has Been", "Has Not Been"

Trigger verbs should be worded present tense which indicates the movement is happening now and will result in a trigger. Example: "Changes", "Changes To", "Changes From", "Stays".

Here is how WebCore handles it, and to me this is much more clearer and intuitive:

Name:	WebCore.png
Views:	333
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1437454

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
                  Here is how WebCore handles it, and to me this is much more clearer and intuitive:

Name:	WebCore.png
Views:	333
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1437454

--Barry
                  Nice!

Here is a sample of an HA Automation...

Name:	Automation Triggers.PNG
Views:	293
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1437476

Name:	Conditions.PNG
Views:	283
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1437477

Name:	Actions.PNG
Views:	293
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1437478

Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
                  Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! We are addressing this in 4.1.10.0.

Comment

Originally posted by jseer View Post
                      I've not seen you before...
                      Welcome to HomeSeer!

Comment

Originally posted by jseer View Post
                        This is christmas today

Comment

Originally posted by dbrunt View Post

I've not seen you before...
                          Welcome to HomeSeer!
                          Thank you. Been here quietly for 9 years

Comment

Working...
                          X