Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally Migrating from HS 1.7 to HS4 Pro - any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Migrating from HS 1.7 to HS4 Pro - any tips?

After 20 years of running HS1.7 (I bought V2 and V3Pro without implementing), I am finally taking the plunge to migrate to HS4Pro. I have a fresh Windows 10 Pro PC that it will go on and a new license for HS4 Pro.

I'm assuming that there's no migration path from 1.7 to 4, but I thought I'd look for some guidance on the best approach to moving everything to the new system.

Is a totally manual install the best way to go?
    - loading software
    - downloading necessary plug-ins
    - porting VBS scripts across (although I understand that this is likely going to be a conversion problem)

I will start off running only X10 equipment, with a plan to go Zwave (but with a mix going forward).

I welcome any advice and guidance!

Thanks.....Jeff

Wow Jeff... HS1 to HS4? Buckle up!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

The first order of business would be to make sure your X10 stuff is still supported. Mark Fisher is managing the X10 plugin now... maybe stop by his forum to see if that part of your system is workable. If yes, then I would jump right to the Quickstart guide or maybe this video to get started:
    ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Support & Customer Service ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ Sales Questions ๐Ÿ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsโ€‹

Comment

Take a manual note of your entire setup as I imagine you will be rebuilding it from scratch. X10 is still very much operational but maybe look through the plugins you use now and see if there is a HS3 version of them. Thatโ€™s probably your best route.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        Wow Jeff... HS1 to HS4? Buckle up!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

The first order of business would be to make sure your X10 stuff is still supported. Mark Fisher is managing the X10 plugin now... maybe stop by his forum to see if that part of your system is workable. If yes, then I would jump right to the Quickstart guide or maybe this video to get started:
        Thanks Mark, will do.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
          Take a manual note of your entire setup as I imagine you will be rebuilding it from scratch. X10 is still very much operational but maybe look through the plugins you use now and see if there is a HS3 version of them. Thatโ€™s probably your best route.
          Thanks Concordseer. Fortunately, my old system will be side-by-side with the new one while I make the move. I have a list of the interfaces/plugins that I'll work through.

Comment

I ran side by side as I went from HS3 to HS4. Be sure to disable plug-ins in one system before firing up the other system, or shutdown one before starting up the other on the other PC.

Z-wave didn't like two systems trying to talk to it at the same time and I imagine other plug-ins will get confused as well.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
              I ran side by side as I went from HS3 to HS4. Be sure to disable plug-ins in one system before firing up the other system, or shutdown one before starting up the other on the other PC.

Z-wave didn't like two systems trying to talk to it at the same time and I imagine other plug-ins will get confused as well.
              Thanks for the trick. I should be ok, since I will be swapping controllers and other connections between the old and new PCs.

My biggest concern is the difference in scripting. Iโ€™ve used VB Script extensively, and it sounds like itโ€™s quite different. I will have to find some good examples to guide me.

Comment

Working...
              X