Clear All

• IanIreland
    replied
    Yes - to HS4 :-)

Leave a comment:

• mterry63
    replied
    Originally posted by ewkearns View Post

Maybe. Depending on which Windows version you have and your method of deployment. IMHO, this isn't the way to do it, HST should fix HS versions (at least HS3 and HS4) to actually work properly with the Windows restart function, but as long as the implicit (or explicit) notion exists at HST that HSx has no bugs, only workarounds, it isn't going to be fixed.

In what alternate universe will HST ever update HS3? AFAIK it's done.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCharger
    replied
    Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

Win10 Pro can have auto updates disabled. If you use Win10 Home you can only defer
    Thanks. I'm running Pro. I attempted to do this a while back and didn't find it. With you confirmation, I looked harder! Found a method - Local Group Policy settings. I've made the changes. I'll see how it goes.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• ewkearns
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post

...is there a way to shutoff auto updates on Windows 10? I thought that the best we were able to do is to defer for 14 days. Is there another option?

Maybe. Depending on which Windows version you have and your method of deployment. IMHO, this isn't the way to do it, HST should fix HS versions (at least HS3 and HS4) to actually work properly with the Windows restart function, but as long as the implicit (or explicit) notion exists at HST that HSx has no bugs, only workarounds, it isn't going to be fixed.

The danger, here, of course, is that you can either live with Automatic Updates crashing HSx or you can run the risk of missing a very important Update until you (finally think to) manually update your computer(s).

The following link covers the subject pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvVtFE7Ufk

PS
    Come to think of it, anybody having HSx "just shut down" issues might want to do this to see if it helps.

Leave a comment:

• jmaddox
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post

Hi Greg, is there a way to shutoff auto updates on Windows 10? I thought that the best we were able to do is to defer for 14 days. Is there another option?
    Win10 Pro can have auto updates disabled. If you use Win10 Home you can only defer

Leave a comment:

• IanIreland
    replied
    I have HS4 running as a service. The service is set to automatic with restart if fail. If HS crashes the service restarts.
    I have the Win 10 PC as a VM. That is set to restart if it closes.
    The VM runs on Server 2012R2 which is pretty solid.

Leave a comment:

• WhitW
    replied
    Chris Titus has developed a "debloating" tool that includes a button to disable all updates, except for security updates.

https://christitus.com/windows-10-op...ws-10-settings

I would STRONGLY recommend that you tread carefully, as this could "break" things you expect to have outside of HomeSeer. Standard disclaimers apply e.g. make a backup, set a restore point, etc. In fact, you may want to "grab" a trial license, and setup a mirror of your HS instance to test it for a few weeks before making it your production machine...

If and when I go back to using HS4 on a Windows platform (I am currently using Linux on RPi 4), I will make it a dedicated machine for HS and use this tool to strip down Windows and control updates...

He (Chris) also has a series of videos on YT that you may want to watch as well...

Leave a comment:

• JeffCharger
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupp View Post
    Why not shut off auto updates and manage them yourself? I do this and it prevents a lot of these odd update issues.
    Hi Greg, is there a way to shutoff auto updates on Windows 10? I thought that the best we were able to do is to defer for 14 days. Is there another option?

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Why not shut off auto updates and manage them yourself? I do this and it prevents a lot of these odd update issues.

Leave a comment:

• kennesaw10
    replied
    I run HS4 on Windows 10 with Intel NUC I5 hardware. Every time there is a new Windows update or an Intel driver update, a little box pops open in the lower right corner of the screen. It stays there until I close it. When this happens HS4 still runs but time-based events quit working. This morning, I woke up to a cool house because my morning thermostat warm-up event did not run. Sure enough, there was a popup window about Windows update. I've lived with this since I had the NUC with HS3 on it. I just don't understand why that popup box keeps the system from executing the events.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Do you have HS4 setup to auto start?
    https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...HS4+on+Windows

Leave a comment:

• huggy591
    started a topic HS4 crashes - Windows updates?

HS4 crashes - Windows updates?

I'm seeing periodic seemingly random HS4 crashes. HS4 reports it has received a shutdown command from the UI, but that's actually not the case. It appears when Windows 10 updates are applied, whether a reboot is required or not, HS4 shuts down and does not restart. Short of shutting off automatic updates, does anyone know of a solution to this? I may be off base here, so suggestions are welcomed. I can't see anything definitive in any logs, system or HS4.
Working...
X