First Alert Zcombo self-test notification messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Alert Zcombo self-test notification messages

Successfully installed a Zcombo today. I ran the unit self-test by holding the test/silence button on the unit, the unit responded properly with the 3 chirps for Smoke and 4 chirps for CO.

I did the testing in front of computer screen and noticed that the Smoke Notification child device quickly changed to "Smoke Alarm Test" and back to "No Event".
    What seems strange is that the Carbon Monoxide Notification never changed.

Is this normal for how this device Z-wave reports during a self-test?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	601
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	1448697

I don't even have all those, go figure.

Name:	Screen Shot 01-17-21 at 03.03 PM.PNG
Views:	422
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1448864

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
      I don't even have all those, go figure.
      Did you include as a secure or non-secure node? Never use secure include, you'll sometimes lose features in HS and shorten battery life. The only nodes you should include secure (and have no choice) is locks.

If it helps, here's the full node definition. You might want to try exclude and include as non-secure.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	425
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1448867

Comment

I did include unsecure when it was with HS3 and I honestly don't remember how many child devices there were. I just excluded and re-included two of the six I have unsecure with the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
          I did include unsecure when it was with HS3 and I honestly don't remember how many child devices there were. I just excluded and re-included two of the six I have unsecure with the same result.
          Strange. Are they First Alert branded? maybe a different firmware or hardware level? Mine are FW v11 and hardware v2

Comment

Some show this:
            24 Full Name: Sensor Sunroom CO/Smoke Sunroom Root Polling: Polling Disabled
            Manufacturer:

BRK Brands, Inc.
            Type:
            0x1
            ID:
            0x2
            Listens:
            No
            Version: 3.52 (ZDK 4.54.2) Firmware: 0.5 Neighbor Count:
            Speed:
            40Kbps
            Neighbors: 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 15, 16, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 28, 32, 33, 35, 37, 39, 40, 41, 43, 46, 47, 48
            Last Working Route: Direct (40K) Set Route: Secured with S2: No
            Uses Interface: 3187-Z-Net-Laundry (1) Basic Type: ROUTING SLAVE, Generic Type: SENSOR ALARM, Specific Type: NOT USED
            Command Classes:
            Supported: Basic, Battery(V 1), Configuration, Association, Notification(V 1), Manufacturer Specific, Version
            Child Device: CO/Smoke Sunroom Battery CC: Battery Polling: Polling Interval: 12h, 0m, 0s
            Child Device: CO/Smoke Sunroom Notification CC: Notification Polling: Polling Disabled

Some show:
            Full Name: Sensor Master Bedroom CO/Smoke MBR Root Polling: Polling Disabled
            Manufacturer:
            Sigma Designs
            Type:
            0x0
            ID:
            0x0
            Listens:
            No
            Version: (Not Available) Neighbor Count:
            Speed:
            40Kbps
            Neighbors:
            Last Working Route: 22 (40K) Set Route: Secured with S2: No
            Uses Interface: 3187-Z-Net-Laundry (1) Basic Type: ROUTING SLAVE, Generic Type: SENSOR ALARM, Specific Type: NOT USED
            Command Classes:
            Supported: Basic, Battery(V 1), Configuration, Association, Notification(V 1), Manufacturer Specific, Version
            Child Device: CO/Smoke MBR Battery CC: Battery Polling: Polling Interval: 12h, 0m, 0s
            Child Device: CO/Smoke MBR Notification CC: Notification Polling: Polling Disabled

Comment

Ok, that explains it. Those are like early generation and regular Z-wave, the ones I have are manufacture date of Nov 2020 and are Z-wave plus. Lots of additional command classes in the newer gen.

Comment

Yeah, I've got six of these older ones. It will be another three years before they should be discarded and they're fine so far.

Comment

Have one of the newer ones, manufactured Aug 2020, FW 11 HW V2 and CO2 child does not show activated when doing unit self test. Smoke child shows activated though Do get the 4 beeps from the unit.
                  Using HS3

Comment

Originally posted by Spudjr View Post
                    Have one of the newer ones, manufactured Aug 2020, FW 11 HW V2 and CO2 child does not show activated when doing unit self test. Smoke child shows activated though Do get the 4 beeps from the unit.
                    Using HS3
                    Look at my first post, apparently that's normal.

Comment

Normal? I would think that according to the First Alert doc that there is a value set for CO2 test message. It should show up just like the smoke test message. Makes me wonder if the CO2 sensor is actually activated will the event trigger.

Comment

I'd suggest opening a ticket with HST then or buying some CO test spray to find out...

Comment

Can confirm that when CO is detected it does show as activated in Device Management panel.

Comment

Thanks for confirming, it's pretty much what I expected. The reason why we don't see anything on the CO child device during the unit self-test is just the way First Alert implemented the firmware for that particular function. But yes, it would be more reassuring that both child devices updated during a self-test.

Comment

I'm migrating from Nest Protect to First Alert Zcombo I'm noticing that when I depress test that I only get "Smoke Notification" to trigger which after wards it shows "No Event" Is there any way to get the "Carbon Monoxide" to trigger other than having a real event? I was trying to setup an event but when I look for "Smoke Notification" or "System Notification" as a "control a device" they are no where to be found. I must be missing something any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
                              Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
                              HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Working...
                              X