X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concordseer
    replied
    Originally posted by mcisar View Post

I started in IT in the 80's and have worked with systems much older in some of my early employment... at this point I pretty much qualify as Borg, there's not much tech nor many OS' I haven't had my hands on at least once. In the Linux world I tend to flip-flop between Debian and CentOS most of the time depending on the particular application.

I have a few Raspberry Pi around, great little beasts. I don't tend to use the ARM platforms as much as I probably would/could. I have 2 VMWare servers at home and another "dev/play" server at the office so it's just use what's most convenient, and that usually for me means just spinning up a quick VM.
    Armbian wouldn’t be my OS of choice but as HS is running on the Rock64 it’s the most reliable OS on that platform. Once you find the right combination it’s best to stick with it.

I don’t spend countless hours tinkering around with the install. I just create the relevant automations and leave it to do it’s own thing.

I’ve the minimum amount of plug ins installed too and this setup has been rock solid for the last couple of years right through distro upgrades and HS3 to HS4. Of course Mono is regularly updated too when necessary.

Leave a comment:

• mcisar
    replied
    Originally posted by concordseer View Post
    It’s difficult to know these days who’s an experienced Linux and who’s not but the giveaway in your case was Debian 10, the mothership.
    I started in IT in the 80's and have worked with systems much older in some of my early employment... at this point I pretty much qualify as Borg, there's not much tech nor many OS' I haven't had my hands on at least once. In the Linux world I tend to flip-flop between Debian and CentOS most of the time depending on the particular application.

I’m using Armbian myself with HS which requires the use of a lot of backports to keep on top of things.
    I have a few Raspberry Pi around, great little beasts. I don't tend to use the ARM platforms as much as I probably would/could. I have 2 VMWare servers at home and another "dev/play" server at the office so it's just use what's most convenient, and that usually for me means just spinning up a quick VM.

Leave a comment:

• concordseer
    replied

A bit of a pitfall of package-based Linux distributions, we tend to forget that sometimes they fall very behind the current development. I probably wouldn't have given it half a thought myself if mono-vbnc had not been missing from Debian 10.7. Then again had it been there I might have had an intact older version that either may have worked fine, or may have been flaky in more obscure ways. In a perfect world once I added the Mono sources their packages should have overwritten all of the Debian ones, but obviously that doesn't always happen perfectly either.

You also have to know when to make the call that troubleshooting is or isn't worthwhile. On a server that's vital to a customer's business, absolutely I have spent days (weeks) chasing after obscure issues. On a new system though that is a 10 minute wipe and reinstall, or at the very least a few well timed virtual machine snapshots along the road... in the past that might have been a 4 hour wipe and reinstall but you still cut your losses.

It also goes to show the value of forums and communities such as this. The answer to my query could just as easily have been "that error will come up until you add your first devices, just ignore it for now". If you're new to a piece of software no matter how big or small you've got no way of knowing it's idiosyncrasies, so nothing wrong with asking.

As IT I have had customers get physically angry if I ask the age-old "is it plugged in" but they don't realize that the reason we ask that is that a significant percentage of the time the answer is "oh crap, its not". :-)
    It’s difficult to know these days who’s an experienced Linux and who’s not but the giveaway in your case was Debian 10, the mothership.

Mono has matured greatly since it early incarnation but as you know Debian is all about stability and that stability is the trade off in this case. I’m using Armbian myself with HS which requires the use of a lot of backports to keep on top of things.

It’s nice to get your install stable off the bat and having Mono versions resolved for your OS really is the backbone to running HS reliably in Linux.

Leave a comment:

• mcisar
    replied

You’d be amazed at the amount of users that miss that vital step of adding Mono sources from the Mono Project repository.
    A bit of a pitfall of package-based Linux distributions, we tend to forget that sometimes they fall very behind the current development. I probably wouldn't have given it half a thought myself if mono-vbnc had not been missing from Debian 10.7. Then again had it been there I might have had an intact older version that either may have worked fine, or may have been flaky in more obscure ways. In a perfect world once I added the Mono sources their packages should have overwritten all of the Debian ones, but obviously that doesn't always happen perfectly either.

You also have to know when to make the call that troubleshooting is or isn't worthwhile. On a server that's vital to a customer's business, absolutely I have spent days (weeks) chasing after obscure issues. On a new system though that is a 10 minute wipe and reinstall, or at the very least a few well timed virtual machine snapshots along the road... in the past that might have been a 4 hour wipe and reinstall but you still cut your losses.

It also goes to show the value of forums and communities such as this. The answer to my query could just as easily have been "that error will come up until you add your first devices, just ignore it for now". If you're new to a piece of software no matter how big or small you've got no way of knowing it's idiosyncrasies, so nothing wrong with asking.

As IT I have had customers get physically angry if I ask the age-old "is it plugged in" but they don't realize that the reason we ask that is that a significant percentage of the time the answer is "oh crap, its not". :-)

Leave a comment:

• concordseer
    replied
    Happy to say that a wipe and reinstall with the proper Mono sources from the start has resolved the problem. Everything seems to come up happily now. Now all I need is my Z-Net to show up so I can start playing :-)

Thanks for all the assistance!
    I’m so glad you didn’t go down that troubleshooting rabbit hole too deeply. Over thinking and over analysing the problem can lead to so many hours frustration and time wasted.

You’d be amazed at the amount of users that miss that vital step of adding Mono sources from the Mono Project repository.

Leave a comment:

• mcisar
    replied
    Happy to say that a wipe and reinstall with the proper Mono sources from the start has resolved the problem. Everything seems to come up happily now. Now all I need is my Z-Net to show up so I can start playing :-)

Thanks for all the assistance!

Leave a comment:

• concordseer
    replied
    Originally had an issue with installing from the distro as mono-vbnc seems to be missing from Debian right now so I ended up installing from the project.

That said I was getting...
    Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Wed Apr 17 16:37:36 UTC 2019)

which didn't make sense based on the packages installed so I took a closer look and seems like there were some packagess that didn't upgrade properly... got that sorted and mono up to date...
    Mono JIT compiler version 6.12.0.107 (tarball Thu Dec 10 05:28:17 UTC 2020)

But somewhere within that process seems to have just caused one huge fiery ball of flame and I just get pages and pages of errors now when I try to start HS4.

I think I shall need to pause out for a day or so at this point and do a reinstall... I could probably pick around and figure out what's now missing but I'd like this server to have a clean start so rather to just go back and make sure no mono bits get installed out of the debian repo out of the gate.

I shall return :-)
    Good idea. I had a feeling something wasn’t right with Mono and an upgrade performed like that never ends well.

Make sure to add the Mono project sources for Debian FIRST before attempting to install Mono with a fresh install. I’m nearly certain that error will go away then.

Amazing how many issues on this forum relate directly to his issue. Glad you caught it early too.

Leave a comment:

• mcisar
    replied
    Originally had an issue with installing from the distro as mono-vbnc seems to be missing from Debian right now so I ended up installing from the project.

That said I was getting...
    Mono JIT compiler version 5.18.0.240 (Debian 5.18.0.240+dfsg-3 Wed Apr 17 16:37:36 UTC 2019)

which didn't make sense based on the packages installed so I took a closer look and seems like there were some packagess that didn't upgrade properly... got that sorted and mono up to date...
    Mono JIT compiler version 6.12.0.107 (tarball Thu Dec 10 05:28:17 UTC 2020)

But somewhere within that process seems to have just caused one huge fiery ball of flame and I just get pages and pages of errors now when I try to start HS4.

I think I shall need to pause out for a day or so at this point and do a reinstall... I could probably pick around and figure out what's now missing but I'd like this server to have a clean start so rather to just go back and make sure no mono bits get installed out of the debian repo out of the gate.

I shall return :-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    maybe not related ( you will need it anyways if you try to open some .aspx page on hs4), but can you try to switch the content of vbc compiler to vbc, so mono ( from hs4 request) would use the non legacy vbc compiler instead of vbnc.

here is the ssh command :
    Code:
     sudo install -p /usr/bin/vbc /usr/bin/vbnc
    I would also paste here what concordseer asked you

Leave a comment:

• concordseer
    replied
    A quick look at your log and bearing in mind you are running on Debian 10, did you add your Mono sources from the Mono project page or directly from the official Debian repository. Mono is usually a few releases behind in the Debian repository and can cause security certificates issues. I’m currently using Mono 6.12x

Just to confirm type

mono --version

at the command line paste the results here. That’s mono, space and two dashes without a space in case it’s doesn’t format correctly.

Leave a comment:

• jasv
    replied
    When you installed HS4 did get a prompt to install some Microsoft stuff? And did you install it?

Leave a comment:

• mcisar
    replied
    jasv I Installed and registered the system, installed 5 plugins (all still disabled)... thats all I've done.

Kigmatzomat I'll give the commenting a try when I get home tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Kigmatzomat
    replied
    this does a log entry and then calls HS.speak to announce the web server port. What happens if you comment the lines from the first "hs.speak" to the "end if" so it doesn't do the voice announcement?

Leave a comment:

• jasv
    replied
    There is nothing out of the ordinary in your startup. I verified that I don't get that error on my startup which is very similar to yours. The message being displayed can sometimes be an issue with your settings.ini file in the config directory. Did you change anything there?

Leave a comment:

• mcisar
    replied
    Nope, have not changed a thing... here's how it stands...

Code:
    ' This is the startup script
    ' It is run once when HomeSeer starts up
    '
    ' You may also have Startup.vb and it will be run instead of this script.
    '
    sub Main(parm as object)

hs.WriteLog("Startup", "Scripting is OK and is now running Startup.vb")

' Speak - uncomment the next line if you want HomeSeer to speak
    ' at startup.
    hs.Speak("Welcome to Home-Seer", True)
    ' speak the port the web server is running on
    Dim port As String = hs.GetINISetting("Settings", "gWebSvrPort", "")
    If port <> "80" Then
    hs.Speak("Web server port number is " & port)
    End If

' You may add your own commands to this script.
    ' See the scripting section of the HomeSeer help system for more information.
    ' You may access help by going to your HomeSeer website and clicking the HELP button,
    ' or by pointing your browser to the /help page of your HomeSeer system.

End Sub
    Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X