Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues following upgrade 4.1.11.0 - Solved!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Issues following upgrade 4.1.11.0 - Solved!

    I resently upgraded my HS4 to 4.1.11.0, and a few issues occured:

    1) Event are not possible to create, nothing happens when I press the + button.

    also the GUI have abnormalities:

    1) Device pages (settings/feature/graphics/etc) takes forever to load
    2) Buttons in GUI need to be pressed multiple times to respond
    3) Remove option on filter/sort sometimes gone
    4) Pages does not always load completely, ends up in a "mess".
    5) Pages does not update after pressing buttions
    6) Web browser sometimes reports that HS4 pages are unavailable

    Workaround is usually to press browser reload, but not always that this works either.

    Basically my HS4 works as is, but editing/adding is practically impossible. I have submitted tickets, but status are still waiting for support. Anyone else that experience this?

    #2
    The only time I've heard of this issue in the distant past was some overly aggressive anti-virus software interfering or using a browser other than Chrome. Which AV software are you running and what browser are you running. What OS are you running HS4 on?

    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      Hi. Thanks, good point! I will check this at once!

      Comment


        #4
        👍 definitly some monkey business with my anti-virus software. Events are now possible to create, but the feature/settings/graphics-pages are still somewhat slow, but hopefully this can be mediated by tuning the anti-virus-settings. Thanks!

        Comment


          #5
          I run HS4 on a Win10 machine, and access the GUI from a Mac usingS Safari and Chrome. AV-software on Mac is Norton Life Lock, and on the server-PC Microsoft´s own.

          Comment


            #6
            "Connection blocking" caused the event-problem, and whitelisting the server-PC solved this issue (and allowed pop-ups). "Vulnerability Protection" however make the setting-tab load forever (pressing the button/tab twice sometimes works) but whitelisting apparently have no effect. I must turn off the "Vulnerability Protection" to make page load normal.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tnesheim View Post
              "Connection blocking" caused the event-problem, and whitelisting the server-PC solved this issue (and allowed pop-ups). "Vulnerability Protection" however make the setting-tab load forever (pressing the button/tab twice sometimes works) but whitelisting apparently have no effect. I must turn off the "Vulnerability Protection" to make page load normal.
              Could you please elaborate a bit? There are several users on this forum which are struggling with Web GUI issues, ref. this post: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...er-issues-help
              This "Vulnerability Protection", is it part of your Mac AV-Software, or is it on your Microsoft-server?

              I'm running HS4 on Windows 10, using Microsoft AV, and having issues when using the Web GUI in Safari, especially on iOS-devices, but also some times when using Safari on my Mac (which is not running any AV-software)...

              Comment


                #8
                Hi,

                I have problems after upgrading too. Filtering is wrong. When I select a room or floor to filter by, then 1) nothing happens or 2) something completely random room or floor gets selected and is filtered by.

                The only way for me to filter now is by typing in the free text filter.

                regards,
                Dag-Inge

                Comment


                  #9
                  Sorry, did not get any notification about new posts.
                  I whitelisted the HS4 server IP in my AV-software on my Mac. In then start I did not think the whitelisting worked, but it worked out fine when I started to use Chrome only. I did no do anything on my HS4 server.

                  To get an idea of what causes the problem, turn off all the functions of the AV-software on your , and then turn then on one by one.

                  Also, use Chrome as a web browser, for my part it gives the best experience.

                  The need apparently started after last update, but can also be just a coincidence.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X