HS4 automatic update not working as expected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 automatic update not working as expected

I've had the same issue with the last 2 HS4 updates when automatically triggered at startup (Setup>General>Other Settings>Check for Update at Startup. Before reporting as a bug I'd like to know if others are seeing similar behavior or if I'm doing something wrong.

I didn't make notes of the exact prompt verbiage, but this is the gist of it:

After starting HS4, it checks for and finds an available update. It asks whether I want to install, and I allow it. Meanwhile HS4 continues to start up, including plugins. The update downloads, begins installing, and then stops with a prompt listing all running processes that need to be closed before continuing. First option is let HS4 close the processes and attempt to restart them after upgrade. Second option is proceed with installation, requiring reboot afterwards. On choosing the first option, HS4 seemingly attempts to close the processes and a few seconds later (10 seconds maybe?) installation stops again. The prompt lists the running processes again (fewer than the first time, some have stopped) and says to ensure they're stopped/closed before continuing. Going to Task Manager at this point I can see the processes are gradually being closed, it just hasn't finished. After maybe 15-30 seconds all HS processes have disappeared from Task Manager. Clicking continue will then allow installation to proceed successfully.

In summary, it seems the installer doesn't allow enough time for the HS processes to be closed before trying to proceed, leading to a somewhat vague/confusing instruction to close them before continuing--yet they continue to close automatically. The process works, but it's not as simple and intuitive as most software upgrades. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.
    -Wade

Wade Don't forget to exit the speaker. Bottom right side of browser, right click speaker and exit. Continue with install.

Comment

Wade i also have the same problem since I installed HS4

cowinger I think that HS4 update process should take care of stopping everything and make sure no process are still running before starting the update

Comment

cowinger I think that HS4 update process should take care of stopping everything and make sure no process are still running before starting the update [/QUOTE]

I agree. But it doesn't seem to do the speaker. I have to shut it down each time I upgrade. I do it even though there is nothing telling us it is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
          But it doesn't seem to do the speaker. I have to shut it down each time I upgrade. I do it even though there is nothing telling us it is necessary.
          Thanks for the tip. I have the speaker client disabled on my server so I hadn't run across the issue but it will help others.
          -Wade

Comment

Working...
          X