Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I invoke a VBS script from a desktop icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I invoke a VBS script from a desktop icon?

I previously was able to execute an event by clicking an icon on my desktop. I used a .vbs script containing something like this:

set hs = CreateObject("HomeSeer.Application")
    hs.DisableEvent "set security ON"
    hs.triggerevent "set security OFF for 30 minutes"

Is this available anymore in HS4?

Did it work with HS3? I am guessing that it is no longer called HomeSeer.Application...

The second unknown is whether or not you can still use VBS. Might need to the vb.net...

But good question!
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Thanks, I haven't tried it on HS3. I am just now switching from HS 1.7 to HS 4. I am successfully using both VB scripting and VB.net on HS 4. (There, of course are some differences, but I've managed through the conversion. I have seen some reference to HomeSeer3.Application, but I've tried HomeSeer4.Application and it fails.

I'm hoping there's an option or alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post
        I previously was able to execute an event by clicking an icon on my desktop. I used a .vbs script containing something like this:

set hs = CreateObject("HomeSeer.Application")
        hs.DisableEvent "set security ON"
        hs.triggerevent "set security OFF for 30 minutes"

Is this available anymore in HS4?
        No, that is no longer possible in HS3 & HS4.

One option. Take a look at "Jon00 Tray Control with integrated Keyboard & Mouse sensor for Homeseer 3 & 4" on my site. Should work fine in HS4 and also allows you to run events from desktop icons.
        Jon

Comment

Yeah, that is what I figured.

It has been years since I have played around with this. Jon00, do you have a scriptlet or can you advise what the code is vb.net or c# for script or .net app to connect to HomeSeer 3 or 4?

Thanks!
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
            Yeah, that is what I figured.

It has been years since I have played around with this. Jon00, do you have a scriptlet or can you advise what the code is vb.net or c# for script or .net app to connect to HomeSeer 3 or 4?

Thanks!
            I don't know of any code that can be run as a script. You have to create a plugin to connect to Homeseer remotely. Look at the HS3/HS4 Plugin SDK's.
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

No, that is no longer possible in HS3 & HS4.

One option. Take a look at "Jon00 Tray Control with integrated Keyboard & Mouse sensor for Homeseer 3 & Homeseer 4" on my site. Should work fine in HS4 and also allows you to run events from desktop icons.
              Ok, thanks for the info. I will have a look at your download. Thanks

Comment

Jon, your TrayControl program will do the trick for me. I've installed as per your instructions, and it's working well from the "house" in the tray. It includes the Events that I've added to the setup.txt file.

I cannot get it to work in a desktop shortcut. I've included the following path in a desktop shortcut ... C:\Jon00TrayControl\Jon00TrayControl.exe "speak to me"
                When Jon00TrayControl.exe is already running (and the "house" is showing in the tray, I click the icon on the desktop. It doesn't execute the Event "speak to me" - although if I select from the drop-down on the tray "house" it works. When the icon is clicked, it loads another copy of the Jon00TrayControl.exe.

In your instructions you wrote "Right-click on the Jon00TrayShortcut.exe file, drag to the desktop...." There is no file by that name in the Jon00TrayControl folder, and I'm assuming that it should be the Jon00TrayControl.exe file. (this may be where I'm having trouble!)

Any suggestions?
                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like one file is missing from the download zip. I've PM'd you with a link. Put it in the same folder as the others.
                  Jon

Comment

Looks like one file is missing from the download zip. I've PM'd you with a link. Put it in the same folder as the others.
                    Thanks Jon... that did it!.

Thanks much

Comment

Not sure how that happened but the download zip has now been updated to include the missing file.
                      Jon

Comment

Not sure how that happened but the download zip has now been updated to include the missing file.
                        that's great Jon. FYI... the instructions you provide mention the "shortcut" exe, but when you list the files in the folder of the package it's not mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post

that's great Jon. FYI... the instructions you provide mention the "shortcut" exe, but when you list the files in the folder of the package it's not mentioned.
                          Yes, I also updated the docs at the same time.
                          Jon

Comment

Working...
                          X