HS4 Log of X10 CM11A activity .. ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Log of X10 CM11A activity .. ???

I have a serious issue with X10 signals in my home and am wondering what these log messages are trying to tell me.

If anyone an interpret them for me as to the issue that is causing this, I would appreciate it ..

Tanx .. Don Click image for larger version

Name:	HS4_X10_ErrorMessages.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1464985

Originally posted by djbeam View Post
    I have a serious issue with X10 signals in my home and am wondering what these log messages are trying to tell me.

If anyone an interpret them for me as to the issue that is causing this, I would appreciate it ..

Tanx .. Don Click image for larger version

Name:	HS4_X10_ErrorMessages.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1464985
    Do you have Debug enabled in the CM11. If so turn it off. I imagine those messages were being used by the author for testing purposes.

Comment

Thanks for the direction, but is this indicating an error?

Comment

I have a serious issue with X10 signals in my home...
        What issues are you having?

HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
        Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
        Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
        Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
        Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
        Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
        Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

basically X10 coverage but I know that X10 is not a robust protocol .. thus the debug .. to see if there was anything else .. the problem is that the info that the log is presenting is not helpful.
          Thanks for your help

Comment

I presume you are well versed in X-10 signal bridging, signal-suckers and all that seeing as X10's been around for 46 years...

In 1970, a group of engineers started a company in Glenrothes, Scotland called Pico Electronics.[2] The company developed the first single chip calculator.[1] When calculator integrated circuit prices started to fall, Pico refocused on commercial products rather than plain ICs.

In 1974, the Pico engineers jointly developed a LP record turntable, the ADC Accutrac 4000, with Birmingham Sound Reproducers, at the time the largest manufacturer of record changers in the world. It could be programmed to play selected tracks, and could be operated by a remote control using ultrasound signals, which sparked the idea of remote control for lights and appliances. By 1975, the X10 project was conceived, so named because it was the tenth project. In 1978, X10 products started to appear in RadioShack and Sears stores. Together with BSR a partnership was formed, with the name X10 Ltd. At that time the system consisted of a 16 channel command console, a lamp module, and an appliance module. Soon after came the wall switch module and the first X10 timer.

In the 1980s, the CP-290 computer interface was released. Software for the interface runs on the Commodore 64, Apple II, Macintosh, MS-DOS, and MS-Windows.

In 1985, BSR went out of business, and X10 (USA) Inc. was formed. In the early 1990s, the consumer market was divided into two main categories, the ultra-high-end with a budget at US$100,000 and the mass market with budgets at US$2,000 to US$35,000. CEBus (1984) and LonWorks (1991) were attempts to improve reliability and replace X10.

Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
            Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS

Comment

basically X10 coverage but I know that X10 is not a robust protocol .. thus the debug .. to see if there was anything else .. the problem is that the info that the log is presenting is not helpful.
              Thanks for your help
              Are you actually experiencing problems with your X10 or is the message annoying you. It’s not an error message just debug output for the developers benefit.

As I mentioned above the plugin developer probably included a trace routine for debug purposes but probably forgot to delete it. Once Debug is switched off the message will disappear.

Did you do what I suggested. Post this to the X10 section where the Mark Fisher the plugin maintainer will see it.

Comment

I have killed the debug and the messages have disappeared, but X10 signal strength is really suspect in many area of the home.

I have posted my issue in the past .. and the net (after buying several 'signal enhance' products, is that it is an problem with the environment and X10.

Comment

I have killed the debug and the messages have disappeared, but X10 signal strength is really suspect in many area of the home.

I have posted my issue in the past .. and the net (after buying several 'signal enhance' products, is that it is an problem with the environment and X10.
                  For all things technical on X10 you could do worse than check this link https://jvde.us/ You’ll get an explanation as to what might be happening. Jeff is your man here.

Generally you’ve got so many things that could be causing performance issues. While an error from your log might point you in the right direction you’ll need to physically track down the source physically. Remember you don’t have an error, just a debug trace. If it’s not causing you problems I’d ignore it and post on the X10 section of this forum.

Comment

I used to use X10 (1987~2012). Some things I learned were:

1. A signal bridge at or near the electrical panel to bridge the two 120V legs of the 240VAC is almost always required. I had a dryer plug-in signal bridge that stopped working after a number of years. I added 2 breakers to my panel (one on each of the 120V legs), added an "outlet" below the panel to house a receptacle style signal bridge which was wired to the two new breakers..
                    2. Use Plug-in Noise Filter Modules for devices that generate "noise" in the 120V circuit. There are many "noisy" electrical devices. It's a complex process of elimination and trial and error to find them. Many years ago we had a laser printer that required one.
                    3. Do not use a power bar for the CM11A.
                    4. Do not have a UPS plugged into the 120V circuit which is "electrically near" the CM11A or an X10 module. They generally attenuate the signal. A plug-in filter module for the UPS may help.

Comment

yes, I have been using X10 for over 40 years and many of the things that are being suggested .. I have installed and or reoriented ..

RE Jeff, you may not be aware, but Jeff is closing his business down and is in sell off mode. .. as he said, he has had it with the smell of a burning soldering iron... however he is still willing to help with X10 issues ..

These current problems have occurred since I have moved into a new home and it is unbelievable the # of dead spots both for X10 and Insteon as well as Wifi. It truly is a challenge.

Thanks for all your suggestions and it appears that the only solution is to isolate X10 suckers .. and find another transport tech .. I have so much invested in X10, and Insteon, it is going to be a phycological change to move to Z-Wave or ZeeBee.

I guess all there is .. onward and upward .. keep safe and keep well

Comment

yes, I have been using X10 for over 40 years and many of the things that are being suggested .. I have installed and or reoriented ..

RE Jeff, you may not be aware, but Jeff is closing his business down and is in sell off mode. .. as he said, he has had it with the smell of a burning soldering iron... however he is still willing to help with X10 issues ..

These current problems have occurred since I have moved into a new home and it is unbelievable the # of dead spots both for X10 and Insteon as well as Wifi. It truly is a challenge.

Thanks for all your suggestions and it appears that the only solution is to isolate X10 suckers .. and find another transport tech .. I have so much invested in X10, and Insteon, it is going to be a phycological change to move to Z-Wave or ZeeBee.

I guess all there is .. onward and upward .. keep safe and keep well
                        I did indeed and it was sad news to hear. Like us all he’s getting no younger and all good things must come to an end. His products have kept X10 alive in many cases for many users as I’m sure you know well

He’s offered to transfer his design and production business to the right person to carry on his legacy of producing quality X10 equipment. It would be nice to see the right person avail of this opportunity but of course this would be something the right person would need to discuss directly with Jeff.

In the meantime you’ve obviously checked all the physical obstacles that may be affecting performance and as you know it’s a process of elimination to track down your problem. It could be something simple or a combination of factors that is causing the issue. Either way it’s usually a process of elimination that wins the day. Best of luck tracking down the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X