Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 IP Address changes sometimes twice a day

Date/time=3/29/2021 9:16:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    Version=HS4 Standard Edition 4.1.14.0 (Windows)
    License=Registered
    Confguration File=C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS4\Data\HomeSeerData.json
    In Virtual Machine=No MFG: intel corporation
    Antivirus=Norton Security Norton Security Windows Defender Norton 360
    OS=Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Work Station
    OS Version=10.0.19041
    Uptime=0 Days 0 Hours 12 Minutes 55 Seconds
    Lan IP=192.168.1.193 (HomeseerHS4)
    Device Count=447
    Event Count=42
    Processor:=Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3 at 864.98 MHz
    Modules/Threads=134 Modules, 116 Threads
    Available Threads=1023
    System Load=234 Processes, 14% Load
    Free/Total Memory=570.16 MBytes / 3.89 GBytes (14% free)
    Free/Total Virtual Memory=2.60 GBytes / 7.39 GBytes (35% free)
    HomeSeer Memory Used=90 Mbytes
    Plugin Memory Used=13 EXE Plug-Ins using 413 Mbytes
    Plugins Installed=APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLRoombaWifi 2.0.37.0,Device History 3.1.3.0,HSBuddy 3.21.131.2,LutronCaseta 3.0.0.137,Samsung Smart Devices 2.1.0.0,SmartThings 4.0.15.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraLog3 3.0.6644.26753,UltraM1G3 3.0.6922.16073,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraSMTP3 3.0.5902.19061,Z-Wave 3.0.2.0

Each day I have to open the HS4 config file and change the IP address in the setting file.

I thought maybe it was my router but I have a static address for that.

My system stays up but I lose my ability to sign into MYHS.

I search using FING for the new address and go back to the config settings file to change the IP address.

HS4 doesn't have an IP address, the IP address is the hardware it is running on.

Comment

You can either assign a static IP to the computer HS is running on or set up a DHCP reservation IP for the computer in your router.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by ralnet View Post
        I thought maybe it was my router but I have a static address for that.
        I set a fixed IP address on the PC / VM running HS4 as well as reserved the IP address of HS4 on my router. I also had random occurrences of random IP address due to some router craziness. Fixing the IP address on the PC for HS4 did the trick.

Comment

Running...
          Code:
          ipconfig /all
          in that VM will tell you the IP of the DHCP server that assigned the IP to the VM.
          It also shows you the MAC address that you need to enter into that DHCP server if you want to reserve an IP for it.
          Once you've set up the reservation run...
          Code:
          ipconfig /release && ipconfig /renew
          It sounds like you were just port forwarding from Internet to a LAN IP. That does not create a DHCP reservation.
          Either that or you have more than one DHCP server on your network...

Or as you've done, just set the VM to a static IP, which should be outside your DHCP scope of dynamic IP's.
          HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 running on Lenovo ThinkCenter & Debian Linux
          Plugins: Z-Wave (via Nortek USB stick

Home Assistant 2021.10.6 running on HA "Blue" ODROID-N2
          Add-ons: Android Debug Bridge, Duck DNS, ESPHome, File Editor, Glances, HA Google Drive Backup, InfluxDB, Log Viewer, MariaDB, Mosquitto broker, NGINX SSL Proxy, Node-RED, Portainer, SSH & Web Terminal, Samba, TasmoAdmin, UniFi Controller, Visual Studio Code, WireGuard, Zigbee2mqtt, Z-Wave JS to MQTT
          Integrations: AccuWeather, Alexa Media Player, Glances, Google Nest, HACS, HomeSeer, Insteon, IPP, Life360, Local IP, Logitech Harmony Hub, Mobile App, MQTT, My Garage, OpenWeather, Spotify, Tuya Local. Ubiquiti UniFi, Z-Wave JS
          Insteon: 2413S Dual Band PLM
          Zigbee: zzh! CC2652R Rev A
          Z-Wave: RaZberry daughtercard on RPi 1B via ser2net

Comment

I have static IP address for Homesser.

I am seeing the IP address changed in the HS4 config, setting. Some where along the line it is set to 25.

I am installing a new PC this evening bc some thing is changing that IP address in the config setting./

How tis this even possible. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	369
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1466103

Comment

You shouldn't using binding unless you have multiple NIC cards. Try disabling the binding and test.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Sometimes, I'll make sure that a device gets a static IP via a DHCP reservation, not an actual static IP on my device. I tend to create DHCP reservations for ALL of my statically assigned device, even if I'm also assigning it on the device itself. This helps me keep track of what static IP's I've given out. AND it prevents mass chaos if something crazy happens where that static assignment reverts to a dynamic address for some stupid reason. DHCP will catch it and give it that same address.

This works great, unless, it's a virtual machine. For example, in my Hyper-V hypervisor, I then have to remember to go in to the Host settings and change the MAC address from Dynamic to Static and then define a static MAC. DHCP Reservations don't work very well if the MAC address of the virtual NIC changes...

Comment

I have static IP address for Homesser.

I am seeing the IP address changed in the HS4 config, setting. Some where along the line it is set to 25.

I am installing a new PC this evening bc some thing is changing that IP address in the config setting./

How tis this even possible. Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	369
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1466103
                  Yeah, as others have said, that's setting is NOT assigning that IP to HomeSeer. HomeSeer is just an app on a host (ie computer). That setting is just saying that if your computer has that IP address, bind to it. Usually it's only used if you have multiple IP's assigned to the computer and you want HomeSeer to listen on only one of them. But if your host doesn't have that IP, binding to it would almost have to cause problems.

Comment

I appreciate all the comments. I setup for No Binding which seems to have fixed the issue. The only problem I have is the IP address changes daily and one of my plugins require a fixed IP address "APCUPSD" so I have to change the config every time the IP address changes. I have a dedicated MINI PC now for just Homeseer. I still cant understand how the IP changed in the Settings config file. I also noticed that on the old computer I had 2 IP addresses for Homeseer. I would bring up Homeseer from my desktop and have one IP address and a different IP address when I did Find.homeseer.com.

Something was very strange with my 9 year old intel stick.

Comment

If you go to network settings on your computer and set it as a fixed IP instead of DHCP your problem will be solved. Is I wrote a couple of days ago you can also set a DHCP reservation in your router instead of setting a fixed IP in the computer. Either solution will result in your HS server always being at the same IP address.

Also as written above IP binding is only used if you have more than one active NIC on the computer and want HS to use a specific one. IP binding will render your HS server as unreachable if the IP address of the computer changes - it will be bound to a non existent IP address.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

For some reason I can't setup a fixed IP address. I did a config /all and entered the information and I get the error. See attached. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-01 122953.png
Views:	317
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1466515

Comment

Its been awhile since I did this and tried to fix the IP in the wrong place. I got a fixed IP on the network adapter now.

Thanks for the help

Comment

For some reason I can't setup a fixed IP address. I did a config /all and entered the information and I get the error. See attached.
                            You've entered a Subnet mask in the "Subnet prefix length" field. Instead, enter 24

Comment

Yes, thanks for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X