Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Problems Upgrading from HS3 to HS4

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Having Problems Upgrading from HS3 to HS4

    I'm in the process of upgrading standard version HS3 to HS4 on a windows 10 computer. I have extensive development on HS3 that I don't want to loose. I had a misstep using the "preferred method" where I didn't initially install HS4 into the HS3 directory. Backed up and tried the preferred again and had a issue getting HS4 to run right. Anyway I uninstalled HS4 and I'm trying to upgrade using the "Alternate Method"

    After I copy the content of the Config and Data folders to HS4 (steps 1-4) I restart HS4 and I get a error message on the IP addressed page 197.168.0.17 "This page isn't working". I tried keeping the IP page running and just shutting down the app page but that didn't help.

    I also tried to get Homeseer to help via email but after two days of no response.....

    Does anyone have an idea what I have done wrong?

    Thanks

    Rick Neilsen

    #2
    Does find.homeseer.com find your HS4 instance and is the ipaddress correct?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks that is an interesting tool. I ran it on my restored HS3 server and yes found it so I assume It will find the HS4 app. When I proceed with the registration will it fix or locate homeseer Or is there another utility that fixes the address? I can't try the upgrade to HS4 again till Monday. Are there any other tools that might be helpful?

      There is a tool for finding a lost homeseer so I figure it has been lost before and it appears my HS3 config or data files had that effect so could this tool be made available in the 3 to 4 upgrade instructions?

      Thanks again

      Comment


        #4
        OK tried the HS4 upgrade again and again I get a error message on the IP addressed page 197.168.0.17 "This page isn't working". So I tried the find.homeseer.com. It finds a (was it workstation code) anyway I click on it and I get a error message on the IP addressed page 197.168.0.17 "This page isn't working" again. So no find doesn't find HS4. I'm dead in the water again with neither HS3 or HS4 running. I do have a good backup of HS3.

        Any thoughts?

        Rick Neilsen

        Comment


          #5
          You won't be able to use 197.168.0.17. You can use 192.168.0.17, if .17 isn't already taken on your network. If you want to get to the Internet from your HSx computer you will need to use the scheme for the ISP's modem/router: If they are 192.168.0.1 then you use 192.168.0.17, if they are 192.168.1.0, you'll need to use 192.168.1.17. Right now you are probably trying to display a page assigned to somewhere in South Africa, if that page even exists.

          What is the ip address of the computer you are trying to reach?

          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.16.0
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Desktop Z-Wave via Z-Net
          Zigbee via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi via Internal APs.

          Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK Weather 4.0.5.1,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.34.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 3.3.1.0,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 3.30.1003.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.4,LG ThinQ 4.0.24.0,rnbWeather 4.4.0.0,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.2,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 3.0.11.0 Z-Wave Hub Z-Net, Zigbee Hub: ZigBee on RPi 3+, WiFi on Internal AP.

          Comment


            #6
            Your right 197.168.0.17 is a fat fingered address It is supposed to be 192.168.0.17 . Don't know that I have ever seen a application run on a ip address other than a web site. The point I'm trying to get across is HS4 when it is started with my HS3 configuration files errors on the IP address page "This page isn't working" .

            HS3 has been running on that address 6-7 years and HS4 does if started without my HS3 configuration files. But following the 3 to 4 upgrade instructions It just doesn't work.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by NeilsenRM View Post
              Your right 197.168.0.17 is a fat fingered address It is supposed to be 192.168.0.17 . Don't know that I have ever seen a application run on a ip address other than a web site. The point I'm trying to get across is HS4 when it is started with my HS3 configuration files errors on the IP address page "This page isn't working" .

              HS3 has been running on that address 6-7 years and HS4 does if started without my HS3 configuration files. But following the 3 to 4 upgrade instructions It just doesn't work.
              You should put in a help desk request here:
              https://dev.homeseer.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/2
              -Rupp
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                I sent my first request for help a week ago. Then tried the forum. Now calling sitting on hold and leaving a message.

                Comment


                  #9
                  What is your ticket ID and I'll have a look.
                  -Rupp
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    For myself having not yet upgraded to HS4, is it possible to go back to HS3? I can't imagine the WAF should HS be out for a week.

                    Hope it works out soon for you...

                    Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      You mentioned you have an HS3 backup. Just go to this folder and double click on the HS3 executable. My newer HS4 installation is messed up so I always start an older version of HS4 manually. I also used HS3 the same way after installing HS4, i.e. go to the HS3 folder and start it manually. One good thing about the HS software is that it doesn't depend on registries, etc so you can just copy the folder.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Finally got got a call back and got HS4 upgrade to work. The fix was to install HS4 like a new install, register then using the HS4 restore, restore from the last HS3 backup. The theory is that there was something in my old HS3 configuration that HS4 didn't like but the restore was able to handle. I had to reinstall the plugins but they all seem to work with my events.

                        I think this option should be part of the upgrade instructions as a third option rather than having to wait for support. Next time I will call Homeseer support 1st.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          So to recap, you installed HS4 like a fresh install complete with the HS4 directory, then you pointed the restore to your HS3 folder and restored from there? All your devices and events were copied fine? Then you installed all the plugins and no issues? If so I lIke this approach as you at least have the proper HS4 folder.
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by NeilsenRM View Post
                            Finally got got a call back and got HS4 upgrade to work. The fix was to install HS4 like a new install, register then using the HS4 restore, restore from the last HS3 backup. The theory is that there was something in my old HS3 configuration that HS4 didn't like but the restore was able to handle. I had to reinstall the plugins but they all seem to work with my events.

                            I think this option should be part of the upgrade instructions as a third option rather than having to wait for support. Next time I will call Homeseer support 1st.
                            You never provided your ticket ID. What was the ID as I want to see where the bottle neck was.

                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by langenet View Post
                              So to recap, you installed HS4 like a fresh install complete with the HS4 directory, then you pointed the restore to your HS3 folder and restored from there? All your devices and events were copied fine? Then you installed all the plugins and no issues? If so I lIke this approach as you at least have the proper HS4 folder.
                              This is not the preferred method and if you are using an upgrade license this path will not work without your license needing modification.
                              -Rupp
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X