Having Problems Upgrading from HS3 to HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by langenet View Post
    So to recap, you installed HS4 like a fresh install complete with the HS4 directory, then you pointed the restore to your HS3 folder and restored from there? All your devices and events were copied fine? Then you installed all the plugins and no issues? If so I lIke this approach as you at least have the proper HS4 folder.
    This is not the preferred method as defined in the upgrade instructions but it is a variation of the alternate instructions and it works when the others don't. This works with the upgrade license because you also enter your HS3 license when you go through the registration process after the HS4 install. You do have to individually install you old plugins but your devices and events work once the plugin is installed. Yes you have clean HS3 and HS4 directories and both will run.

Just to be clear after the HS4 install and registration, you do a HS4 restore and point the restore to the last HS3 backup file where ever it is. Still checking out the upgrade but except for minor expected issues everything is running. One plus is I had a few old plugins that didn't work or weren't used that I was able to get rid of.

Comment

Thanks... still gathering information. When you save HS3 backup file, are you referring to just the hsd file? I do a daily backup of the entire HS3 folder each night with BLbackup.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

You should use the guides found here for the proper upgrade procedures.
        https://homeseer.com/support-home/
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks.. yes, I plan on reviewing them closely when I get there.
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks... still gathering information. When you save HS3 backup file, are you referring to just the hsd file? I do a daily backup of the entire HS3 folder each night with BLbackup.

Robert
            No the file is a .zip that is created by the Homeseer backup. I don't think a restore from the BLback up would work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

You never provided your ticket ID. What was the ID as I want to see where the bottle neck was.
              I never got a ticket. I tried to open a case/ticket but they wanted me to login and I couldn't get logged in right then so I just went the E-Mail way and got a few worthless responses and then they just quit responding. I then started the forum discussion which helped but... I then called and that took 24 hours for a call back.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilsenRM View Post

No the file is a .zip that is created by the Homeseer backup. I don't think a restore from the BLback up would work.
                I'm sorry for asking, but a backup performed by HS4? If not, where is this backup facility in HS3?

Comment

I'm sorry for asking, but a backup performed by HS4? If not, where is this backup facility in HS3?
                  There is absolutely a backup facility in HS3, The Homeseer guy had me run it again yesterday before we did the HS4 update. Then we used that backup to restore into HS4. You need to do some exploring on your own and run it.

Comment

I'm not sure we are talking apples to apples, but the HS3 backup facility is described here:

https://docs.homeseer.com/pages/view...ageId=26476913
                    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Thanks guys. It was right in front of me but missed it on the first look. Funny, I've never used this in the 5 years I've been running HS3. BLbackup is my friend and has saved me on the occasion. This information is good for whenever I migrate to HS4.

Comment

So to recap, you installed HS4 like a fresh install complete with the HS4 directory, then you pointed the restore to your HS3 folder and restored from there? All your devices and events were copied fine? Then you installed all the plugins and no issues? If so I lIke this approach as you at least have the proper HS4 folder.
                        This method works? I tried both preferred and alternate methods and I still got the same error, "This page isn't working". I tried disabling my firewall, etc. I am installing it on my Server 2016.

Comment

Not sure... haven't tried. However, in another thread, someone made a copy of the HS3 directory under the folder name HS4. Then performed the upgrade. Any scripts with pathnames would need to be corrected first.

Comment

Originally posted by Quek9 View Post

This method works? I tried both preferred and alternate methods and I still got the same error, "This page isn't working". I tried disabling my firewall, etc. I am installing it on my Server 2016.
                            If upgrading from HS3 I can confirm this works having done it a couple dozen times:
                            • Shut down HS3
                            • Take a full directory backup of HS3, store it in a thumb drive or other external device
                            • Uninstall HS3. Do NOT remove files and settings when asked
                            • Install HS4 choosing the same destination directory as your HS3 installation
                            • Start HS4, launch the web interface and follow the instructions to register and set up MyHS
                            • Enjoy
                            ​I also tested an alternate today. I can confirm that if you want your new HS4 installation in a properly named directory you can:
                            • Shut down HS3
                            • Take a full directory backup of HS3, store it in a thumb drive or other external device
                            • Rename directory \HomeSeer HS3\ to \HomeSeer HS4\
                            • Install HS4 choosing the new destination directory
                            • Start HS4, launch the web interface and follow the instructions to register and set up MyHS
                            I had to fix several Events that has hard coded paths to scripts in HomeSeer HS3 and for reasons that elude me, Jon00's Links plug-in didn't work. I couldn't find any paths in the .ini files, but a reinstallation fixed it.​
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                              If upgrading from HS3 I can confirm this works having done it a couple dozen times:
                              • Shut down HS3
                              • Install HS4 choosing the same destination directory as your HS3 installation
                              • Enjoy
                              ​I also tested an alternate today. I can confirm that if you want your new HS4 installation in a properly named directory you can:
                              • Shut down HS3
                              • Rename directory \HomeSeer HS3\ to \HomeSeer HS4\
                              • Install HS4 choosing the new destination directory
                              I had to fix several Events that has hard coded paths to scripts in HomeSeer HS3 and for reasons that elude me, Jon00's Links plug-in didn't work. I couldn't find any paths in the .ini files, but a reinstallation fixed it.​
                              This worked for me...

Comment

Working...
                              X