How to apply an Event to multiple devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to apply an Event to multiple devices

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but have been unable to find any reference material.

I'm new to HS4 and trying to figure my way around it. I have a handful of Z-Wave devices that I would like to control together for a given event. Is there a way in HS4 to create groups of devices to apply an action to as opposed to have to list each device one at a time in an Event trigger?

To be even more specific, I want to modify a ZWave configuration parameter of a device on a certain event. I realize that I would need to ensure that my group only contains devices of the same type, or modifying config params may cause havoc.

I thought that maybe I could use a Virtual device which could then delegate to all linked devices, but I can't figure out how to make that work either.

Is something like this feasible? Is this an HS4 feature, or something specific to ZWave devices?

I would like the ability to create a group of switches, such as "Outdoor Lights", and have the "Outdoor Lights" all turn on or off based on certain events. But that doesn't seem straight forward. The closest I found is to create an "Outdoor Lights" group with an event "Turn On" and another event "Turn Off". And then have other events (ex: doorbell ring, nighttime, etc) trigger the "Turn On" or "Off" event as needed. But that seems very convoluted to me, and error prone (ie: I can forget to add a switch to one of the two On/Off events and thereby be in consistent).

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Eric

You can test this with EasyTrigger on Scene Master Plug-ins...

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

While it seems quite basic, this type of feature is not supported natively in HS, you have to rely on 3rd party plugins. As mentioned by Eman above, Easytrigger will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
        While it seems quite basic, this type of feature is not supported natively in HS, you have to rely on 3rd party plugins. As mentioned by Eman above, Easytrigger will do the trick.
        Ditto, I use EasyTrigger for exactly this purpose. I wish HS would integrate ET into the product because if anything happens and ET is no longer supported, a lot of us are going to be SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Ditto, I use EasyTrigger for exactly this purpose. I wish HS would integrate ET into the product because if anything happens and ET is no longer supported, a lot of us are going to be SOL.
          I was looking at Scene Magic and EasyTrigger and ran across something called CPS Tags which looks incredibly intuitive as a concept as well. However the forum for it seems rather dead (about 10 posts in the last 2-3 years). As is the case in all these plugins which are HS3, I too am always a little worried that they may end up deprecated or dead at some point.

Does EasyTrigger allow for the same concept? ie: grouping of Devices together in multiple groups and then applying changes to a group as a whole? The docs on the plugin page don't really provide significant details.

Thanks,

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by benze View Post

I was looking at Scene Magic and EasyTrigger and ran across something called CPS Tags which looks incredibly intuitive as a concept as well. However the forum for it seems rather dead (about 10 posts in the last 2-3 years). As is the case in all these plugins which are HS3, I too am always a little worried that they may end up deprecated or dead at some point.

Does EasyTrigger allow for the same concept? ie: grouping of Devices together in multiple groups and then applying changes to a group as a whole? The docs on the plugin page don't really provide significant details.

Thanks,

Eric
            Not exactly sure what you mean. But I have all my zwave door locks in a group and then I have an event that sets all devices in the group to locked. Try the free 30-day trial and see if it's what you need.

Comment

"Scene Magic" - Did you mean SceneMaster? I've been using SceneMaster for several years and it saves a lot of event configuration time, particularly with the arduous HS4 event configuration interface. To understand how it works, you'll need to understand the terminology a bit. a "scene" is actually a "group" of devices. A "profile" is actually a "scene" for a given "group" of devices. Activating and Deactivating a "profile" means you are setting a "scene" for a "group".

BTW, SceneMaster and Tags are both by CPS software and the developer has openly stated that he WILL NOT support HS4. He put a lot of work into CPS Tuya, only to have HST develop their own FREE Tuya plugin for HS4. That being said, I've been using SceneMaster with HS4 for over 10 months without issue.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
              X