Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic upgrade at HS startup still not working (for me at least)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic upgrade at HS startup still not working (for me at least)

rjh Previously reported, the following still still happens when I try to let HS upgrade at startup.

1. Start-up begins
    2. Pop-up offering installation of new version (HS4 startup seems to continue in the background)
    3. Accept upgrade
    4. Upgrade starts (startup continues) then lists files in use (HS4, PIs) that need to be shut down and offers to shut them down automatically.
    5. Accept auto shutdown of processes.
    6. Shutdown of processes fails.
    7. Exit installation, download .msi and manually install.

Does the automatic process work for some users? Is there something I can do differently so that it will work?

Thanks.

edit: BTW the link at https://homeseer.com/current-downloads/ is to 4.1.15.0.
    -Wade

This issue has been there for a while, I suspect HS is taking too long to shut down and the installer does not wait long enough, not really sure. We add the ability to update from setup. That runs the installer silently and appears to always work, so you can try that. Also, when the update installer starts, just manually shut down HS, that also works.

Originally posted by Wade View Post
    rjh Previously reported, the following still still happens when I try to let HS upgrade at startup.

1. Start-up begins
    2. Pop-up offering installation of new version (HS4 startup seems to continue in the background)
    3. Accept upgrade
    4. Upgrade starts (startup continues) then lists files in use (HS4, PIs) that need to be shut down and offers to shut them down automatically.
    5. Accept auto shutdown of processes.
    6. Shutdown of processes fails.
    7. Exit installation, download .msi and manually install.

Does the automatic process work for some users? Is there something I can do differently so that it will work?

Thanks.

edit: BTW the link at https://homeseer.com/current-downloads/ is to 4.1.15.0.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have the same issue. I now don't bother with the auto-update and simply do it manually. I do think it should be fixed.

Comment

Is the failure on a system with a HDD or SSD? I found that HS shuts down much more quickly if I use an SSD for my primary drive.
        I also update HS versions manually, but with HS3 that's a moot point.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

SSD. Not there to test but I'd guess it takes ~30-45 seconds to shut down. ~16 plugins and 3 znet interfaces.
          -Wade

Comment

Wade IanIreland You might check to see that you have exited the speaker in the bottom lower right hidden icons area before starting the upgrade. Depending on if you are not on W10 the shutdown of the speaker may be different.

Comment

I don't use the speaker client. It's disabled in setup.
              -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                I don't use the speaker client. It's disabled in setup.
                Me neither. Either way, if that is a requirement it needs incorporating into the auto update system.

Comment

Working...
                X