Linux - Multiple ttyUSB# devices, smartstick changes port on reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux - Multiple ttyUSB# devices, smartstick changes port on reboot

I have a NUC running homeseer, plugged into it I have multiple USB devices that present themselves as serial (ZigBee, zwave, etc)

On each reboot, the ttyUSB port that Homeseer attaches to changes. Obviously this causes issues and every time I reboot the hardware, I have to go change the port within HS's zwave plugin, which is far from ideal.

I have created a udevadm rule to create a symlink based on decide manufacturer (the rule works, a symlink is created in /dev/) however, HS does not show the symlink in the ports drop-down list.

Has anyone run into this or know where Homeseer is getting its port list? I would love to make my system rebootable without having to change the Z-Wave port every time.

Originally posted by Jeeves View Post
    I have a NUC running homeseer, plugged into it I have multiple USB devices that present themselves as serial (ZigBee, zwave, etc)

On each reboot, the ttyUSB port that Homeseer attaches to changes. Obviously this causes issues and every time I reboot the hardware, I have to go change the port within HS's zwave plugin, which is far from ideal.

I have created a udevadm rule to create a symlink based on decide manufacturer (the rule works, a symlink is created in /dev/) however, HS does not show the symlink in the ports drop-down list.

Has anyone run into this or know where Homeseer is getting its port list? I would love to make my system rebootable without having to change the Z-Wave port every time.
    Maybe if you included a little more info on your setup ie platform OS etc you’ll get help a little quicker.

Comment

So this may or may not help but it seems that I had this same issue but it was quite some time ago.
      I had to create symlinks to an edgeport that I was using to interface some devices with HS. Below is a snippet of a rule that I created and if memory serves correctly I had to make sure the symlink was formatted to include "ttyUSB" at the beginning of the link created (if that makes any sense) or HS would not "see" it. I could be wrong though so sorry if this does not help.

ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="Digi_International_Edgeport_8_E22467618-0",ENV{.ID_PORT}=="0",SYMLINK+="ttyUSBEdge1"

Comment

Originally posted by damiene77 View Post
        So this may or may not help but it seems that I had this same issue but it was quite some time ago.
        I had to create symlinks to an edgeport that I was using to interface some devices with HS. Below is a snippet of a rule that I created and if memory serves correctly I had to make sure the symlink was formatted to include "ttyUSB" at the beginning of the link created (if that makes any sense) or HS would not "see" it. I could be wrong though so sorry if this does not help.

ENV{ID_SERIAL}=="Digi_International_Edgeport_8_E22467618-0",ENV{.ID_PORT}=="0",SYMLINK+="ttyUSBEdge1"
        This is correct. Make sure you name it ttyUSBxxxx

Comment

See here detailed information, works well
          https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/PersistentUSBDevices
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by damiene77 View Post
            I had to create symlinks to an edgeport that I was using to interface some devices with HS. Below is a snippet of a rule that I created and if memory serves correctly I had to make sure the symlink was formatted to include "ttyUSB" at the beginning of the link created (if that makes any sense) or HS would not "see" it.
            This is exactly what I was running into. I changed my naming to include USB and all is well, thanks.

Originally posted by Demusman View Post

This is correct. Make sure you name it ttyUSBxxxx
            Ah. Since the list is populated with various tty##### entries, I did not suspect that after tty the characters mattered, it was named "ttySmartStick."
            I'll rename the symlink and go from there, thanks!

Personally, the rule I was using is as such (to match the 700 Series G3 SmartStick):
            SUBSYSTEMS=="usb*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4", ATTRS{idProduct}=="ea60", SYMLINK+="ttyUSB-SmartStick"

Comment

Working...
            X