"Preventing" lost data.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Preventing" lost data.

This has been covered before, but (1) it bears repeating, and (2) there appears to be new information. Having read of a few recent disasters when all HSx data is lost and HS3 must be rebuilt for use or restoration of HS4, I have compiled the following list of ways I know to backup HS3:
    1. Copy the entire HS3 Directory
    2. Use BLbackup (if properly configured)
    3. Use the Built-in Method
      1. Tools > Setup > Backup Config
      2. Manage > Z-Wave > Controller Management > Backup this Interface
    4. Use this method (required, if changing OS): https://docs.homeseer.com/pages/view...ageId=26476913
    #1 was the first backup I learned to do and I still do this. It may be redundant. Note that it doesn’t (from my understanding) back up any HStouch files, /skins, or the Z-Net.
    #2 Is another method I use to back up what I heretofore thought was nearly everything. Now, I’m not sure. It doesn’t back up the Z-Net? Is that even important?
    #3 I understood backed up the Computer and the Z-Net, if done in a > b order, but does not back up any HStouch files, /skins.
    #4 is #3 with the addition of backing up events separately.

So, I’m guessing that:
    #3 and #4 are “sufficient” to get HSx going, but HStouch files and /skins aren’t backed up.
    #2 is sufficient to get HSx going, including HStouch files and /skins, but doesn’t back up the Z-Net.
    The necessity of #4 could be bad news if it isn't used in changing operating systems.

Is there a preferred, preferred method to backup ALL HST files that we wouldn’t want to lose?
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

You forgot #5....

Use propriety backup software such as Arconis True Image to backup the entire drive/PC (my choice).
    Jon

Comment

Since I'm running HS4 on an overkill of a laptop running Win10, I use the freeware version of Macrium Reflect. (I use this on all my PCs) Its setup to capture drive images and save to the NAS automatically. Can easily mount the backup image and exact whatever I need. HS4 backups are automatic too, but like you mention not sure what it's leaving out.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        You forgot #5....

Use propriety backup software such as Arconis True Image to backup the entire drive/PC (my choice).
        Acronis...Russian developers, no thank you.

Comment

HSTouch files must be backed up on the computer used to create and edit them. That likely will be a different computer from the one that runs HS.
          By default, they appear to reside in two sub-folders of the Windows 'Documents' folder. Project files are in the folder named "My HSTouch Projects". HSTouch skins are in a folder named "HSTouch".

A protocol to maintain a backup of the 'Documents' folder should be a standard part of normal computer maintenance.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by RRR View Post
            ...Russian developers, no thank you.
            Why are Russian developers any more suspect than US developers?
            I seem to recall reading that some of the most potent hacker tools have been based on reverse engineered US spyware, like that used to infect Iran's nuclear program.
            And wasn't there a pretty raucous uproar over NSA spying?
            What about the Solar Winds and Kaseya software? Both are US software developers with products that didn't turn out to be very secure either.
            Not to mention the furious pace of patch releases for Windows. Print nightmare?
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You forgot #5....

I am using backblaze for online backup. If the house burns down the backup on that burned backup drive doesn't help much. Not that I care much about my burned home automation devices anymore but I do care about all kinds of documents, copies of passports, birth certificates, pictures, videos, etc. The only issue is, that backblaze doesn't allow you to backup anything in c:\program files[(x86)]. Hence, it won't backup your HS system (in case where your house doesn't burn down but HS decides to delete all your devices and events). So make sure you use one of the other methods ewkearns mentioned. I learned the VERY HARD way.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

I am using backblaze for online backup. If the house burns down the backup on that burned backup drive doesn't help much. Not that I care much about my burned home automation devices anymore but I do care about all kinds of documents, copies of passports, birth certificates, pictures, videos, etc. The only issue is, that backblaze doesn't allow you to backup anything in c:\program files[(x86)]. Hence, it won't backup your HS system (in case where your house doesn't burn down but HS decides to delete all your devices and events). So make sure you use one of the other methods ewkearns mentioned. I learned the VERY HARD way.
                Odd, good backup software should shadow copy, so will copy everything (including databases) even when in use. I have the program files(x86) backed up fine.....
                Jon

Comment

The issue isn't really about shadow copying. Backblaze is a service to backup data and not systems. Backing up data is really all I need (though I do create a system backup after a new installation). So since this is about backing up data Backblaze excludes the program files folders. Who would store data in the program files folders anyways. Oh, wait, HS does...

Comment

Acronis has a cloud backup service. It's supposed to be able to image your hard drive locally and to their cloud service. I believe it uses Shadow Copy so that it can run live. Maybe a good option?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked Acronis. It is not exactly cheap (some $280/year). It would also take me months to upload this with my measly 6mbit upload speed and a 1.2TB/month limit. It probably would have been worth the money considering how much time I am going to spend recreating my entire HS system. But now I know that I need to copy HS into some older folder than program files. I am aware of only one other program that stores data in program files and I don't care much about those files as they are all archived.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked Acronis. It is not exactly cheap (some $280/year). It would also take me months to upload this with my measly 6mbit upload speed and a 1.2TB/month limit. It probably would have been worth the money considering how much time I am going to spend recreating my entire HS system. But now I know that I need to copy HS into some older folder than program files. I am aware of only one other program that stores data in program files and I don't care much about those files as they are all archived.
                        Personally, I use Macrium Reflect to backup my drive incrementally every evening to my NAS drive. Not quite fire-proof, but I also use GoodSync to live copy certain folders to my NAS when something changes. Then, on the NAS, I have Crashplan installed to back that up to the cloud. The best backup is one that has a backup of the backups!

Comment

You forgot #5....

I really DO need to look into that!
                          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                          Home Assistant 2024.3
                          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Personally, I use Macrium Reflect to backup my drive incrementally every evening to my NAS drive. Not quite fire-proof, but I also use GoodSync to live copy certain folders to my NAS when something changes. Then, on the NAS, I have Crashplan installed to back that up to the cloud. The best backup is one that has a backup of the backups!
                            I used to have Crashplan for quite some time until they turned off the consumer plan and just started offering the business plan. That's when I switched to backblaze with the added feature to keep a 1-year version history. Note that Crashplan, just like backblaze, also doesn't backup the program files folder. https://support.code42.com/Small_Bus...not_backing_up But since you are backing up your backup you probably still get the appropriate files. Btw, after my HS delete disaster I added a local backup drive that does daily backups. But I don't backup the backup. Instead, my online backup is completely independent of the local backup. There might be disadvantages doing it this way but I still prefer the redundancy.

Comment

Originally posted by RRR View Post

Acronis...Russian developers, no thank you.
                              Acronis, Russian? Uh oh. Fortunately, I don't use Acronis. Very happy with Macrium (German developers).

Comment

Working...
                              X