HS3 or HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 or HS4

I just did a clean new install of HS4. Before I did an add/remove program to remove HS4 and rebooted the computer. To my surprise, HS4 showed up under an HS3 program group. Are other people seeing this as well or did my installation somehow get messed up? See attachment.
    Attached Files

If you are one of those who are not used to completely removing programs from a computer, I guess you may missed a house cleaning step!... Deleting the old HS3 folder by hand (going into the Program Files Folder and removing by hand anything related to HS3)
    What I remember when creating HS4 it was mentioned while it was possible to install a fresh copy HS4 they (HST) took into account users who would have wanted to use their data as they migrated... So what am trying to explain here is below the image :
    • It would have been misguiding to link the thread but it's related...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Randy.png Views:	0 Size:	391.4 KB ID:	1484775
    • The message am trying to convey here is the opposite of what's highlighted in red
    • So looks like you missed another step of choosing Custom while reinstalling HS4 and thus not directing it to it's own folder.
    • While hope is not lost, you can now go in (first stop HomeSeer) and copy the entire HS4 (...???? I would copy whatever was installed in that folder what I now guess in a HS3 folder but not linked to HS3 as is mentioned in that image above) to a new folder named HS4 and saved elsewhere...
    • Once you have that folder, uninstall everything making sure that no files and folders are left behind (House cleaning)
    • Now reinstall HS4 ("clean install") and don't start it but copy over what you saved earlier and overwriting everything.
    • If you are sure everything is in place, start HS4

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Hmm, I had HS4 installed (a copy of an upgraded HS3). At that time I chose the alternative installation method because I didn't like my HS4 being installed in an HS3 folder. There should be a post where I explained others how to do this.

Anyways, I removed HS4 by uninstalling it through the add/remove programs. I then went to program files(x86)/HomeSeer HS4 and there were a couple of files left (most were gone as expected). So I deleted the entire HomeSeer HS4 folder. Then rebooted the computer and installed a brand new version of HS4. It is installed properly in the c:/program files (x86)/HomeSeer HS4 folder as can be seen in the screenshot. However, for some reason HS4 shows up in an HS3 folder in the windows start menu. Maybe there was some option to chose in which "group" to add HS4 to and the default was HS3 but it seems kind of dumb to add a brand new HS4 into an HS3 "group".
      Attached Files

Comment

Then it could well be the typical Windows 10 cloud account...
        • At the the desktop right click on the HS4 then click on properties to trace back to the target folder then on Open File Location

Else, for Windows 10 the removal starts here :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windows 10.png
Views:	131
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	1484814

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Working...
        X