Recent Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Personally, I'm not happy to let Windows reboot when it wants. My Windows Update Monitor provides a virtual device to indicate if a reboot is required. It also has a control to reboot the (remote or local) computer. Therefore using a standard Homeseer event, you can trigger on this reboot flag and restart the PC. Before rebooting, it shuts down Homeseer gracefully (if running on that PC); rather than the forced close of all applications running with a WU restart. No Homeseer databases corrupted!
    My problem is that (I have not counted the number of times precisely) My Homeseer has stopped working. The connection to the Z-wave has died and the light is red. Or, the light is green but just cannot be found by "find.homeseer.com".... Often I discover this while at my 11 hour shift at the pharmacy, 30+ miles away and I need to change a setting. Turn something on/off. I see via NEST a reason to act and use HS, for example my 88 y.o. dad falls in front of a locked , smashed his head on the concrete and is bleeding and I cannot UNLOCK it for him because I cannot get HS to respond (actual event). And I cannot because HS simply has gone off into LaLa Land. Rebooting the platform when I get home FIXES/FIXED the problem because yes, this is running on the pathetic windoze platform instead of unix or OS/2.... Granted it will not always fix the problems, witness my entire setup configuration getting excrunged for unknown reasons a week or so ago. I still have no evidence as to why this happened. Apparently no one else has experienced such a re-write of their configuration file.
    I started building PCs in 1980-1981 from pallets of components for hospitals throughout the USA and I did so for decades. Novell Certified Engineer. 4th generation relational database WIZARD. Website designer and developer, before that , bulletin board designer before that and Sysop for CompuServe, "you kids got it great, I remember plugging in 8-prong, 16k memory chips onto a daughter board, all 32 of them, in order to get from 512K of ram up to 1024k of RAM in order to have some extended memory to build a stack of coolness. yadda yadda.
    Rebooting it each night in a "friendly shutdown way" would promote stability and accessibility on a daily basis, IMHO from what I know about Windows (YES, I truly miss OS2 Warp, I was a beta for some time with them) and my couple of years' experience with HomeSeer. ?? I will brag also that I was a beta for US Robotics, for you Asimov dweebs....
    I would really appreciate anyone that has already chosen this path, and willing to share their methodology? (This is totally independent of Windoze update reboots, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by TexARC View Post
      Rebooting it each night in a "friendly shutdown way" would promote stability and accessibility on a daily basis, IMHO from what I know about Windows (YES, I truly miss OS2 Warp, I was a beta for some time with them) and my couple of years' experience with HomeSeer. ?? I will brag also that I was a beta for US Robotics, for you Asimov dweebs....
      I would really appreciate anyone that has already chosen this path, and willing to share their methodology? (This is totally independent of Windoze update reboots, of course.
      Maybe you have not 2 and 2 together here but I already provided you with one option as this is built-in to my update monitor. Anyway I'm going to bow out of this thread.

Jon

Comment

Working...
      X