Proxmox VE as High Availability solution for HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proxmox VE as High Availability solution for HomeSeer

Is anybody using Proxmox as High Availability solution for HomeSeer? Or are there easier alternatives available?

Planning to make HomeSeer High Available.

---
    John

That would work if you run some sort of virtual (or real) san.
    Both can be done quite easily with proxmox+ceph.

Any USB-devices (z-wave, conbee, etc.) should be connected via some wort of network/USB-solution.

Comment

Proxmox is probably the easiest solution for what you are doing.
      XenServer/XenOrchestra could be a viable alternative.

Hyper-V + Storage Spaces or vmware +vsan (expensive as ****) would also work.

Pure KVM on a centos host would be my preferred solution, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lurendrejer View Post

Any USB-devices (z-wave, conbee, etc.) should be connected via some wort of network/USB-solution.
        Thanks,

As I'm currently runing on a VM al my devices go over IP.

To my information a SAN is very expensive. A LUN on my NAS will not work?

Did you try Proxmox yourself?

I do not have the money to go the VMWare route

---
        John

Comment

Did you ever run Ceph. It looks like all the coes and memory will be reuired to run Ceph.

---
          John

Comment

I've been running a 48 server / 12tb ram / 1000+ core proxmox cluster for quite some time.
            Using pure KVM now.

A lun on your NAS would do just fine, I'd go for an NFS share or iSCSI if you are feeling adventurous - Ceph is used to create a virtual SAN, any virtual SAN hogs ressources.

I have been looking into doing something with interconnected NUCs (via firewire) to create a 10gb+ virtual SAN setup with minimal power draw - for the home.

Creating a very complicated high availability setup and using a single NAS-device as storage, seems dimwitted. Since your NAS could fail just as well as any of your virtualisation nodes. Hence a virtual SAN/duplicated storage would be preferable.

Comment

I've been running a 48 server / 12tb ram / 1000+ core proxmox cluster for quite some time.
              Using pure KVM now.

A lun on your NAS would do just fine, I'd go for an NFS share or iSCSI if you are feeling adventurous - Ceph is used to create a virtual SAN, any virtual SAN hogs ressources.

I have been looking into doing something with interconnected NUCs (via firewire) to create a 10gb+ virtual SAN setup with minimal power draw - for the home.

Creating a very complicated high availability setup and using a single NAS-device as storage, seems dimwitted. Since your NAS could fail just as well as any of your virtualisation nodes. Hence a virtual SAN/duplicated storage would be preferable.
              I fully agree. However it will take 5 cores of the Intel® NUC Kit NUC9I9QNX2 barebone, which only have 8 cores and it will take 30 GB 0f RAM (of the 64).

Or do I overlook something?

---
              John

Comment

With homeseers minimal I/O I would not think those resources would be required

I don't know what happened to nutanix (acropolis) it was really hyped a few years back. Maybe I should look into that again as a side-project.

A virtual SAN hogs ressouces and if you really want to follow the guidelines, you would have three cores left for homeseer - which in most cases would be fine.
                It would still be cheaper than a full duplicated san-solution.

Comment

I never found a way to have three nodes connected via thunderbolt.
                  LInux drivers for TB was pure dread when I first thought about trying it.

Comment

And, I'm sorry if I don't get my points across. I'm writing these posts on my phone - and I tend to miss emoji's, etc. When using the phone.

It sounds like quite a neat project - and if you had some specifics about your requirements I think we could come up with something quite cool

Comment

And another question

Why?
                      Do you have something that is life / death -important? Fishtanks maybe?

HA is quite often not just twice or thrice the price.

Again, cool project though.

Comment

And another question

Why?
                        Do you have something that is life / death -important? Fishtanks maybe?

HA is quite often not just twice or thrice the price.

Again, cool project though.
                        I have the WAF factor. Values of the pond are included in HomeSeer but in this case HomeSeer communicatis with the "KOICONTROL" system.

And I did want to know more an experience with HA. But it seems That Ceph will add a lot of costs.

---
                        John

Comment

Maybe less will do just fine.
                          Proxmox has the ability to duplicate vms to another host (with a small delay).

You could do a backup/duplication every five minutes and automatically boot the replica if the primary host is down.

Comment

Are you running homeseer on Windows or Linux?
                            It would be quite easy to just replicate the homeseer data between two vms and use your NAS as a passive witness. Then start/stop the homeseer service as any other clustered service. Virtual HA is not the only solution.

I don't know if homeseers license-model supports this, though.

Comment

The thing about HA and virtualisation or any type of replication is, that it doesn't protect you from corruption of homeseers data - delayed replication/backup does.

Comment

Working...
                              X