Proxmox VE as High Availability solution for HomeSeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurendrejer View Post

Why? I'm not an expert on LXC but I would think that the container is running isolated from the hostOS.
    I'm also not an expert on LXC but I found it in the documentation.

---
    John

Comment

They both seem to have a dedicated IPMI-NIC - I guess they are identical besides active/passive cooling.
      I'd go for the one that fits whatever cooling you have in the case.
      Rack-cases often don't need fans on their headsinks - since they have VERY overactive cooling built into the cases.
      The one with active cooling has TPM.

However the one with passive cooling is more expensive.

I think TPM yes/no and passive/active cooling are the omly differences.

I like passive cooling, but I also like TPM. Difficult to decide what is more important.

---
      John

Comment

I might just end up buying this: Supermicro SuperServer 5018D-FN4T
        I did order a SuperServer 5019P-M with a Intel Xeon Silver 4214R - 2.4 GHz 12 core processor. I hope that is enough to run HomeSeer .

---
        John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

I did order a SuperServer 5019P-M with a Intel Xeon Silver 4214R - 2.4 GHz 12 core processor. I hope that is enough to run HomeSeer .

---
          John
          I would think so - congratulations!!

Comment

I would think so - congratulations!!
            I only have to wait for approximately 5 weeks. Meanwhile the price of the CPU was increased with euro 100 within 2 days after purchase. Did you already select a system?

The advantage of this server is the scalability.

—-
            John

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

I only have to wait for approximately 5 weeks. Meanwhile the price of the CPU was increased with euro 100 within 2 days after purchase. Did you already select a system?

The advantage of this server is the scalability.

—-
              John
              No - I'm in a situation where my home rack is missing in the depth department.

I'm not even looking for something right now.

But if I did have free-choice - I'd go for what you did.
              maybe even some of the Dell rack-based workstations.
              ​​​​​​
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Bit late to this thread, been running HS4 with Win10 VM under Proxmox for 6 years with no issues.
                Current hardware Supermicro 5019A-12TN4 (12 core C3000 Atom) and a Supermicro X11SDV-8C+-TLN2F (8 Core Xeon D)

As rack depth and power consumption is an issue for me (California @ 30c a KW/h average) these are pretty energy efficient and more than enough CPU I've found.
                They also run pfSense, Nextcloud, bunch of docker containers on Ubuntu / photon VM's and TrueNas as a VM with the disks passed through for ZFS.
                I don't need high performance for the filer - backup and ease of administration is key. (Plex, JR Mediacenter 24 for music, PC backups) and was easy to do with the X11 board as there are two disk controllers, easier to passthrough.

Each platform uses various sized SSD's and 64GB RAM.

Given the 4214R scores 50% higher benchmark than my Xeon D, can't see you being CPU bound at all. Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                  Bit late to this thread, been running HS4 with Win10 VM under Proxmox for 6 years with no issues.
                  Current hardware Supermicro 5019A-12TN4 (12 core C3000 Atom) and a Supermicro X11SDV-8C+-TLN2F (8 Core Xeon D)

As rack depth and power consumption is an issue for me (California @ 30c a KW/h average) these are pretty energy efficient and more than enough CPU I've found.
                  They also run pfSense, Nextcloud, bunch of docker containers on Ubuntu / photon VM's and TrueNas as a VM with the disks passed through for ZFS.
                  I don't need high performance for the filer - backup and ease of administration is key. (Plex, JR Mediacenter 24 for music, PC backups) and was easy to do with the X11 board as there are two disk controllers, easier to passthrough.

Each platform uses various sized SSD's and 64GB RAM.

Given the 4214R scores 50% higher benchmark than my Xeon D, can't see you being CPU bound at all. Enjoy
                  Great to hear that you are using Proxmox for 6 years without any issues.

Rack depth is partially an issue for me. As my ultimate goal is an HA solution I need 3 nodes. One rack has a depth of 800 mm which is sufficient. The other rack has a limited depth of 600 mm. On the other hand not all my VM's need HA. So probably I will end up with this server and 2 other servers which will easier fit and probably has less CPU power.

For now (or after 5 weeks from now as the server was not on stock) I will run this server and 2 other nodes (with limited CPU power) to have a HA solution.

I will start with 64GB of RAM and the memory can be extended to768 GB RAM.

---
                  John

Comment

I decide to go for the Supermicro X12SPM-LN6TF with 6 network ports (4*1GbE and 2*10GbE), 64 GB of memory (can be extended to 2TB). I like the maintainability of this machine.

Together with and Intel NUC and a fit PC3 I have a Proxmox cluster of 3 Nodes. Currently only HS4 is running in HA mode.

Just playing around with my current set-up.

---
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X