Remove/hide button for virtual device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove/hide button for virtual device

I have created a virtual device to act as a volume control for my theater processor. When you click "up" it triggers an event to send an XML payload to the processor to increase volume by 1db, the event also sets the status of the device back to "@". So that if you can click "up" again to raise volume by 1db again. It works great, but I would like to hide the button labeled "@". I need the 3rd state of the virtual device, but don't need it available for the user to push.

Any ideas? or a different approach?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Volume.PNG
Views:	337
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	1489838

I don't know what your events look like, but it sounds like perhaps you're using "IF device changes and becomes [up]". You might be able to use "IF device has its value set to [up]" and it should trigger without having to be set to [@] between presses. I believe you'll also need to uncheck "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only" in the device config.
    -Wade

Comment

The problem is that I need it to go back to some "center" position, so I can execute an UP or DOWN, or multiple UPs or DOWNs. I need to the virtual switch to act like a momentary rocker, rather than a two position rocker switch.

Comment

Under Status/Graphics you should be able to change "@" to Status vs. Control or Both.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Not sure where to do that. If I remove it from the controls section - I lose the ability to have that 3rd position that I need, so that I can throw the switch to UP or DOWN and have it issue the command. I need that "3rd position" for the switch - just want it to be hidden, no button showing in the UI.

Name:	Volume.PNG
Views:	307
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	1489859
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by avmike View Post
            The problem is that I need it to go back to some "center" position, so I can execute an UP or DOWN, or multiple UPs or DOWNs. I need to the virtual switch to act like a momentary rocker, rather than a two position rocker switch.
            Did you try it? I created a test virtual device (VD1) with 0/Off 100/On value/status pairs. I unchecked "Last Change Time Updates on Status Change Only" in the device config. I then created 2 events:

IF VD1 has its value set to ON
            THEN increment TestCounter

IF VD1 has its value set to OFF
            THEN decrement TestCounter

I'm able to repeatedly increment and/or decrement the counter with multiple presses of VD1's On and Off buttons. In other words, when the event action is "has its value set to" the first event fires every time the ON button is pressed, regardless of whether the device is On or Off.
            -Wade

Comment

I guess I don't understand how your system works. I see you have 0, 50, and 100 under Status/Graphics but you don't have @, Up, or Down under Status for the values. Why do you need "50" as a control value?
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

In HS4 control values are on the top and status display is on the bottom. The top is the control buttons and their labels, the bottom is the status display related to values.

Click image for larger version  Name:	80773FAD-B77E-4379-B9E7-DBD901A96016.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	1489899
                Click image for larger version  Name:	B1346B30-07B5-43D3-BABA-6CAC45892F5C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	1489900

You can define them differently such that the button is labeled “Up” but status displays “Volume “Up”.

Name:	428F3615-5F8D-4756-8FB4-426575D2ABDA.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1489903

Name:	3F46FDF2-E351-4B52-A778-72E641764363.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1489902

As such you can have only two control values but offer the third neutral status. You will not be able to set the status by an event action, but it can be set by an immediate script. I do agree with the posts above that if you use “This Device had its value set to…” will work. Each time the button is “pressed” its value will be set. Even if the value is volume up, press it again and it is set to volume up.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

There is something here as well : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...control-script

Eman.
                  TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                    ...use “This Device had its value set to…” will work...
                    This is exactly what I'm doing for a similar event to control the inputs on my A/V system. It's the cleanest way IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

F
                      THEN decrement TestCounter

I'm able to repeatedly increment and/or decrement the counter with multiple presses of VD1's On and Off buttons. In other words, when the event action is "has its value set to" the first event fires every time the ON button is pressed, regardless of whether the device is On or Off.
                      This what I was missing. That did the trick. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                      X