HS4 Release Announcements 4.2 is available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post

Is each tab running as its own browser instance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No

Comment

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post

Coming back to this. Most of my devices are Z-Wave using the Z-Wave plugin. Can you confirm then that the Z-Wave plugin is creating HS3 devices in HS4?

My UI is looking massively messy since going to 4.2 and I'm finding it painful to use Homeseer's web interface. Getting increasingly frustrated with it. I have a feeling my fundamental understanding on how devices are used in HS4 is wrong.

As an example, see the image below. All Z-Wave devices added using the HST Z-Wave plugin. The Kitchen Cabinet lights being the most recent, added with the latest Z-Wave plugin.
      Is this how other people's is looking? I don't understand what purpose the root device plays. It has no control and just looks messy. This, combined with the fact that categories for child devices don't work, mean my interface appears messy and confused. Am I using/displaying and configuring my devices wrong?
      Yes - that is the way things work. You get a Parent/Root device, then Features for that device including control(s), status, reporting, etc.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have not been able to use the SensiboClimate plug-in since upgrading to HS4 (Version 4.2.0.0). My Homeseer log repeatedly shows these results, and the server displays a dialog box informing me that the executable has stopped working. I've downloaded the most recent plug-in version 2.0.0.9 from https://www.hjemmeautomasjon.no/

Plugin SensiboClimate has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:53599
        SensiboClimate loaded in 15035 milliseconds
        Initializing plugin SensiboClimate ...
        Plugin SensiboClimate started successfully in 30 milliseconds
        Plugin SensiboClimate with ID: and Instance: has disconnected
        I/O interface SensiboClimate is down, executable is not running, restarting ...

Comment

Can you edit the event and reselect the target temp and let me know if that works? I have an Ecobee thermostat also, but I don't have any older events that set the temp so I cannot do the same test. I would have to load 4.2 first. The formatting of the selections was fixed, but that should not have altered the actual target temp in the event.

Originally posted by ARuser View Post
          Another curious bug possibly..

Events created after updating to 4.2 that set the temperature on an ecobee thermostat don't actually change the temperature. However, old events work fine.

I noticed that the old events have the following format:

Downstairs Target Temperature Low to 64$%0$

While the new ones say

Downstairs Target Temperature High to 69.0 °F

Am I missing an easy solution to this?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The root device is used to "name" the device. The name of the device is different from the feature. The feature (child device) is feature of the device such as control or status. This was the same in HS3. There are some Z-Wave devices that only have one feature, and those will display with just one row. I see you have some of those like device ID 35.

So I am not sure what is confusing with your display? You can compare it to HS3 by going to the URL:
            /deviceutility

Coming back to this. Most of my devices are Z-Wave using the Z-Wave plugin. Can you confirm then that the Z-Wave plugin is creating HS3 devices in HS4?

My UI is looking massively messy since going to 4.2 and I'm finding it painful to use Homeseer's web interface. Getting increasingly frustrated with it. I have a feeling my fundamental understanding on how devices are used in HS4 is wrong.

As an example, see the image below. All Z-Wave devices added using the HST Z-Wave plugin. The Kitchen Cabinet lights being the most recent, added with the latest Z-Wave plugin.
            Is this how other people's is looking? I don't understand what purpose the root device plays. It has no control and just looks messy. This, combined with the fact that categories for child devices don't work, mean my interface appears messy and confused. Am I using/displaying and configuring my devices wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
              Can you edit the event and reselect the target temp and let me know if that works? I have an Ecobee thermostat also, but I don't have any older events that set the temp so I cannot do the same test. I would have to load 4.2 first. The formatting of the selections was fixed, but that should not have altered the actual target temp in the event.

I tried editing an event, and the temperature selection becomes the "New" style with the F, instead of the $%0$

Out of curiosity, I explored the events.json, and manually changed "72.0 °F" to the old style, which is "72$%0$". When I do that and run the event, the temperature change goes through.

Here's the info from the events file for the old way, as well as the log output when it's run (the temperatue values may be different, since I was tinkering around a bit):

Code:
              Scheduler","dvRef":268,"LegacyCheck":-5.0,"ControlLabel":"71$%0$","ControlValue":-10000.0}},"delay":"00:00:15","Misc":64,"evRef":1619,"Action_ Order":6},"K7":{"$type":"Scheduler.Classes.EvACT_DEVICE, Scheduler","devices":{"K292":{"$type":"Scheduler.Classes.EvA CT_DEVICE+clsDevAction, Scheduler","dvRef":292,"LegacyCheck":-5.0,"ControlLabel":"67$%0$","ControlValue":-10000.0}},"delay":"00:00:40","Misc":64,"evRef":1619,"Action_ Order":7}}},"Version":1.2,"evRef":1619,"Name":"Oculus All Off AM","EvGroup":{"GlobalActions":{"mvarActions":{}},"GlobalCon ditions":{"TrigGroups":{}},"Version":1.2,"Group":"Oculus","R ef":787336913},"PlugExtraData":{}},{"mvarGroupRef":150646572 ,"Last_Trigger_Time":"2020-06-02T01:54:58.1042294-05:00","Triggers":{"TrigGroups":{"K0":{"$type":"System.Colle ctions.Generic.List`1[[Scheduler.Classes.EvTrig_BASE, Scheduler]], mscorlib","$values":[{"$type":"Scheduler.Classes.EvTrig_MANUAL,

9/15/2021 4:28:16 PM
              HomeSeer
              Device Control
              Device: Floor 1 Ecobee Target Temperature High to 69$%0$ (69)
              HomeSeer
              Event
              Event Trigger "Temperature Weekday 3pm down 68 up 67"
              HomeSeer
              Event
              Event Temperature Weekday 3pm down 68 up 67 triggered by the events page 'Run' button.
              9/15/2021 4:28:10 PM
              HomeSeer
              Event
              Deleting event after run: "Delayed Actions Target Temperature High (Delayed Action)"
              HomeSeer
              Device Control
              Device: Floor 2 Ecobee Target Temperature High to 67$%0$ (67)
              HomeSeer
              Event
              Event Trigger "Delayed Actions Target Temperature High (Delayed Action)"

And here is the code and log data with the new method, which doesn't change the temperature

Code:
              Scheduler","dvRef":268,"LegacyCheck":-5.0,"ControlLabel":"72.0 °F","ControlValue":-10000.0}},"delay":"00:00:00","Misc":96,"evRef":3794},"K1":{" $type":"Scheduler.Classes.EvACT_DEVICE, Scheduler","devices":{"K292":{"$type":"Scheduler.Classes.EvA CT_DEVICE+clsDevAction, Scheduler","dvRef":292,"LegacyCheck":-5.0,"ControlLabel":"72.0 °F","ControlValue":-10000.0}},"delay":"00:00:05","Misc":64,"evRef":3794,"Action_ Order":1},"K2":{"$type":"Scheduler.Classes.EvACT_DEVICE, Scheduler","devices":{"K1117":{"$type":"Scheduler.Classes.Ev ACT_DEVICE+clsDevAction, Scheduler","dvRef":1117,"LegacyCheck":-5.0,"ControlLabel":"Off","ControlValue":-10000.0}},"delay":"00:00:11","Misc":64,"evRef":3794,"Action_ Order":2}}},"Version":1.2,"evRef":3794,"Name":"Weekday 715am 72 both, recirc off","EvGroup":{"GlobalActions":{"mvarActions":{}},"GlobalCo nditions":{"TrigGroups":{}},"Version":1.2,"Group":"Temperatu re","Ref":1564955774},"PlugExtraData":{}},{"mvarGroupRef":19 69929945,"Last_Trigger_Time":"2021-09-15T15:2
              9/15/2021 4:29:27 PM
              HomeSeer
              Event
              Event Trigger "Temperature Weekday 3pm down 68 up 67 - Copy"
              9/15/2021 4:29:27 PM
              HomeSeer
              Event
              Event Temperature Weekday 3pm down 68 up 67 - Copy triggered by the events page 'Run' button.

Comment

The root device is used to "name" the device. The name of the device is different from the feature. The feature (child device) is feature of the device such as control or status. This was the same in HS3. There are some Z-Wave devices that only have one feature, and those will display with just one row. I see you have some of those like device ID 35.

So I am not sure what is confusing with your display? You can compare it to HS3 by going to the URL:
                /deviceutility

The issue is, we can't hide just the root device. If you hide the root, all the child devices hide too. It never used to do that.
                Under the bathroom, as an example for me, I know they are the bathroom lights because they are in the room named bathroom. The vanity lights are called vanity lights, also in the bathroom room. I don't need to see the root device. The update made the device page not as tidy as it used to be. The first device (which may or may not be the parent or root) has a larger font, also new to this update.

Also, not every device has a root, so it's slightly odd looking having some devices under a root and others hanging out on their own (as they should)
                Dan-O
                HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

/deviceutility
                  I don't remember having root devices in HS3. If I added a device, I got the device with buttons for each control and different devices for the other "features". They had different references and everything. Each one had it's own "line" in the device list.
                  I thought Root devices with features was implemented with HS4 (wish I had some screenies from my HS3 before I upgraded)

What is frustrating is being unable to hide the root device and the inability to catalogue child devices. The interface feels cluttered and inconsistent.

Take this example device..

A Z-wave device. It's installed in a Control box in the "House Riser".
                  It has 2 Relays and a temperature sensor.
                  Relay 1 switches a the automatic Gates in the "Driveway"
                  Relay 2 switches a floodlight in the "Garden"
                  The temperature sensor shows the outside temperature via a sensor located in the "Garden"

As it stands currently and I look at my devices. Firstly I have a root device that serves no purpose but to get in the way. I want to use the UI to control stuff. I don't need to see root devices that have no controls. They are just cluttering up the interface. But if I hide the root device, all child devices are hidden. There may be times I need to see the root devices, but we don't need to see root devices (ones without any controls) in day to day use.

I assign a location to the root devices as "House Riser". The physical Z-Wave device is located in a control box in the house.
                  Relay 1 location is set to "Driveway", and Relay 2 and the temperature sensor as "Garden".

If I view my device list. all the devices are sorted under the root's location.. but the child devices are not in the root devices location are they. Yes, technically the device controlling them is.. but I am not Controlling Device Centric I am End Result Centric. I don't care where the actually physically Z-Wave module is.. I just care about what it is controlling. Some devices can be controlling several devices in totally different locations.

If I want to open my device list (quickly.. wife is waiting to get to the car and we need a floodlight on stat!) and turn on a floodlight. I have to open the page and locate the device. Trouble is the list is now significantly longer because I have a bunch of extra devices I have no interest in (root devices). I can't just scroll down the list until I see "Garden" and then find floodlight. This is because the Garden Floodlight is under the root location of "House Riser" not "Garden".
                  I could move the root device location to "Garden" of course.. but then that will just shift the problem when trying to find the "Driveway" Gates (that is controlled by the same Z-Wave device but is in a totally different location) that would then appear under "Garden" because the root device is there now. This would also mess up the sort order.

I am forced to filter the list to "Garden" (filters seem to have been heavily implied in HS4). 3 more extra clicks to get what I want, rather than just flying down my list to Garden.
                  I would then have to filter the list further because all "Garden" devices are showing, not just lights. So, pumps, servos, gate controllers, weather stations, irrigation valves. Not usually a problem but now we are forced to see all the root devices, it is a lot more cluttered.

I could use categories. Except you can't seem to add categories to features any more (granted might be a bug).
                  I would usually assign features a category. So my "Garden" floodlight would be assigned a "Lighting" category and my "Driveway" gates would be assigned "Appliances" category.
                  If I wanted to view just my lights (the controlling features, not the useless root devices) I could use the "Lighting" category. This, tied in with the previous ability of hiding root devices means I would end up with a clear concise list of all my lights. I would generally leave that category assigned and just zip down the list. But now it's cluttered with root devices (that are also messing up the sort order!)

What would I like? (Damn, I am not even sure any more)

The ability to hide root devices without hiding features. (This is my primary wish. I really hate seeing root devices)
                  The ability to sort device lists by feature locations, not root devices (maybe if root device is hidden, it sorts by the individual feature)
                  The ability to assign categories to features that differ from it's parent/siblings (surely a bug, if not why is the button still there?)

From my perspective, HS4 seems to be totally focused on the actual physical device not what it is controlling. Everything is sorted and categorized by the root device. In reality the root device is rarely of any interest. Just what it is controlling is of interest. As I mentioned previously, a single Z-Wave device can be controlling several different pieces of equipment in totally different locations with nothing in common. By forcing the HS4 to adhere to the root device, we loose the flexibility to use the list how we want.

Comment

Root/child devices existed in HS3, we have not changed that. All we changed is that in HS4 the root device is the name of the physical device. Most devices have features such as a switch, battery, etc. This makes it easy to find devices and organize them. In HS3 it was possible to have a device that did not have any children so in the list view it was displayed with just a single row. HS4 4.2 now displays this the same way it did in HS3, a single row. Maybe you are not on 4.2? In your screen shot I don't think you are on 4.2 so upgrading may change most of your devices to the view you want.

Some have requested the ability to hide the root and we are looking into a way to offer that without confusing new users. It may be a setup setting and would only affect HS3 devices.

Personally I could never hide the root since devices named "switch" would be impossible to relate to the physical device. It sounds like you changed the names of all your child devices to the actual name of the device. Note that giving full names to your child devices can cause voice control be very cumbersome.

I don't remember having root devices in HS3. If I added a device, I got the device with buttons for each control and different devices for the other "features". They had different references and everything. Each one had it's own "line" in the device list.
                    I thought Root devices with features was implemented with HS4 (wish I had some screenies from my HS3 before I upgraded)

What is frustrating is being unable to hide the root device and the inability to catalogue child devices. The interface feels cluttered and inconsistent.

Take this example device..

A Z-wave device. It's installed in a Control box in the "House Riser".
                    It has 2 Relays and a temperature sensor.
                    Relay 1 switches a the automatic Gates in the "Driveway"
                    Relay 2 switches a floodlight in the "Garden"
                    The temperature sensor shows the outside temperature via a sensor located in the "Garden"

As it stands currently and I look at my devices. Firstly I have a root device that serves no purpose but to get in the way. I want to use the UI to control stuff. I don't need to see root devices that have no controls. They are just cluttering up the interface. But if I hide the root device, all child devices are hidden. There may be times I need to see the root devices, but we don't need to see root devices (ones without any controls) in day to day use.

I assign a location to the root devices as "House Riser". The physical Z-Wave device is located in a control box in the house.
                    Relay 1 location is set to "Driveway", and Relay 2 and the temperature sensor as "Garden".

If I view my device list. all the devices are sorted under the root's location.. but the child devices are not in the root devices location are they. Yes, technically the device controlling them is.. but I am not Controlling Device Centric I am End Result Centric. I don't care where the actually physically Z-Wave module is.. I just care about what it is controlling. Some devices can be controlling several devices in totally different locations.

If I want to open my device list (quickly.. wife is waiting to get to the car and we need a floodlight on stat!) and turn on a floodlight. I have to open the page and locate the device. Trouble is the list is now significantly longer because I have a bunch of extra devices I have no interest in (root devices). I can't just scroll down the list until I see "Garden" and then find floodlight. This is because the Garden Floodlight is under the root location of "House Riser" not "Garden".
                    I could move the root device location to "Garden" of course.. but then that will just shift the problem when trying to find the "Driveway" Gates (that is controlled by the same Z-Wave device but is in a totally different location) that would then appear under "Garden" because the root device is there now. This would also mess up the sort order.

I am forced to filter the list to "Garden" (filters seem to have been heavily implied in HS4). 3 more extra clicks to get what I want, rather than just flying down my list to Garden.
                    I would then have to filter the list further because all "Garden" devices are showing, not just lights. So, pumps, servos, gate controllers, weather stations, irrigation valves. Not usually a problem but now we are forced to see all the root devices, it is a lot more cluttered.

I could use categories. Except you can't seem to add categories to features any more (granted might be a bug).
                    I would usually assign features a category. So my "Garden" floodlight would be assigned a "Lighting" category and my "Driveway" gates would be assigned "Appliances" category.
                    If I wanted to view just my lights (the controlling features, not the useless root devices) I could use the "Lighting" category. This, tied in with the previous ability of hiding root devices means I would end up with a clear concise list of all my lights. I would generally leave that category assigned and just zip down the list. But now it's cluttered with root devices (that are also messing up the sort order!)

What would I like? (Damn, I am not even sure any more)

The ability to hide root devices without hiding features. (This is my primary wish. I really hate seeing root devices)
                    The ability to sort device lists by feature locations, not root devices (maybe if root device is hidden, it sorts by the individual feature)
                    The ability to assign categories to features that differ from it's parent/siblings (surely a bug, if not why is the button still there?)

From my perspective, HS4 seems to be totally focused on the actual physical device not what it is controlling. Everything is sorted and categorized by the root device. In reality the root device is rarely of any interest. Just what it is controlling is of interest. As I mentioned previously, a single Z-Wave device can be controlling several different pieces of equipment in totally different locations with nothing in common. By forcing the HS4 to adhere to the root device, we loose the flexibility to use the list how we want.

Comment

Root/child devices existed in HS3, we have not changed that. All we changed is that in HS4 the root device is the name of the physical device. Most devices have features such as a switch, battery, etc. This makes it easy to find devices and organize them. In HS3 it was possible to have a device that did not have any children so in the list view it was displayed with just a single row. HS4 4.2 now displays this the same way it did in HS3, a single row. Maybe you are not on 4.2? In your screen shot I don't think you are on 4.2 so upgrading may change most of your devices to the view you want.

Some have requested the ability to hide the root and we are looking into a way to offer that without confusing new users. It may be a setup setting and would only affect HS3 devices.

Personally I could never hide the root since devices named "switch" would be impossible to relate to the physical device. It sounds like you changed the names of all your child devices to the actual name of the device. Note that giving full names to your child devices can cause voice control be very cumbersome.

Hey Rich,

Sorry to badger on at this.. I just need to try and get my head round it. Definitely on 4.2 (see screenshot)

I don't understand how people with 1 device that has multiple features in different locations. Take my previous example, a Quibino 2 Relay Z-Wave Module. It can control two loads. I have one switched load in one area, and the other in another area. Thus I can't name the root device anything useful? I can't be the only one with outputs being used in different locations?

I have indeed renamed the child devices to reflect the load it is controlling because many of my devices control multiple loads.

Comment

The root device is the name of the physical device, like "Quibino Relay". You can still put the features in different locations. We did that just for this case. When you filter, you always get the root (the device) and then the features that match the location you are searching on. To display a feature without the root means that you have to go in and edit the name of all your features. Seems like a lot of work. But I guess many HS3 users have already done that.

But I get that you don't care about the physical device, its just noise, so I am looking at a way to hide the roots if you want to. I just feel for new users the current layout makes more sense and it matches what other controllers do. Perhaps collapsing the root name so its smaller text, would work but still have some use. Problem with that is that in some cases the root device displays some status (for HS3 devices) and I don't know if it displays status or not.

Hey Rich,

Sorry to badger on at this.. I just need to try and get my head round it. Definitely on 4.2 (see screenshot)

I don't understand how people with 1 device that has multiple features in different locations. Take my previous example, a Quibino 2 Relay Z-Wave Module. It can control two loads. I have one switched load in one area, and the other in another area. Thus I can't name the root device anything useful? I can't be the only one with outputs being used in different locations?

I have indeed renamed the child devices to reflect the load it is controlling because many of my devices control multiple loads.

Comment

Being able to hide just the root would be great. Been using HS4 for over a year now and you know how long I've been using HS. I have never had an issue with asking Alexa to turn on the lights even with the child device named just lights. "Alexa, turn on the living room lights" works every time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	525
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1496405

Dan-O
                          HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

The root device is the name of the physical device, like "Quibino Relay". You can still put the features in different locations. We did that just for this case. When you filter, you always get the root (the device) and then the features that match the location you are searching on. To display a feature without the root means that you have to go in and edit the name of all your features. Seems like a lot of work. But I guess many HS3 users have already done that.

But I get that you don't care about the physical device, its just noise, so I am looking at a way to hide the roots if you want to. I just feel for new users the current layout makes more sense and it matches what other controllers do. Perhaps collapsing the root name so its smaller text, would work but still have some use. Problem with that is that in some cases the root device displays some status (for HS3 devices) and I don't know if it displays status or not.

Many Thanks. I understand now where your coming from. As you said though, would appreciate the ability to hide it. Having come from HS1/2/3 I am used to having a clean interface and hiding stuff I am not interested in. Did something change in 4.2 as you used to be able to hide root devices. Pre-4.2 I was quite happy with how it looked (although still had the sorting issue below)

What are your thoughts on sorting? If a root device has multiple outputs in different locations the childdevices are sorted by the root device location, not their own location. Yes you can filter, but even in that filtered list, they appear in the location of the root device. The location 1 and location 2 of child devices only seem to be used for filtering, not for sorting. Root device always trumps the child device.

Comment

I definitely am in the camp of wanting to hide root devices, and other information from each device I"m not interested in. I also come from the HS1/2/3 camp, and I hide all of the device components that I don't use on a regular basis. When I look at the Kitchen, generally I just want to see "Light X on/off", "light Y on/off". Not all the info about the root device, power consumption, Central scenes, etc. There was a button to make that stuff visible if I needed to see it.

Having just switched finally from HS3 to HS4 less than 24h ago, this is currently my single biggest complaint. Otherwise I'm quite happy with how the upgrade went....

regards,

Paul

Comment

The way Homeseer does it is not the way many other HA systems do it; and most importantly... NOT the way it should be managed.

Managing a device should be based on Function (like many other systems do). The root is irrelevant to anything the user will do, and most things an admin will do. You do NOT create events or anything based on the root and very rarely based on Battery, etc. The fact we need for to explain this to you and convince you to make it right (after 20 years!), is very frustrating.

I've had to heavily modify the device labels in HS3 to make easy to admin. Large systems are difficult and tedious to navigate device lists, event creation, etc... the UX is Win 3.1 era and very tedious (no drag-n-drop, no tree style views, etc)

Just one thing (out of 100) that is needed...

To set a baseline... Devices consist of... Location (floor / room / indoors / outdoors / etc), feature (temperature, motion, etc), function (status only, control, etc) and admin type/category (system, hidden , etc ...Battery, Root, etc). Systems like Vera are smart enough to know you want to (by default) hide root, battery, etc... and only see the Controllable functionality. And each device is separate since they REALLY are separate devices even when in a single physical case. And systems like Vera standardize the way the admin sees them... unlike HS which is lazy and puts zero effort into making it consistent... a motion device can be a Type "Binary Switch" or "Home Security" or "Giraffe".. Yeah, I get that manufactures name them whatever... but the software should make things easy and consistent. Even with values... could be 1 or 100 or 255 ... create a standard or allow the admin to do it --- EASILY!

As for device admin... We should be able to change the Location of the Root and it should automatically change the adjoining "devices" (features).

We should be able to set a visibility level and save filter favorites for them.
                                -- Examples of favorites filters:
                                A) See all Kitchen devices but hide all non-controllable devices (root, battery, etc)
                                B) See all Status Only devices in Room=System
                                etc

I brought up this (and many other things) years ago. Use git, jira, or any other free system to publish a roadmap and let people submit and track requests... you would if you care about community input and take it seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X