No announcement yet.

HS4 Release Announcements 4.2 is available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The root device should not override the sorting, I will take a look at that. And yes, I will allow you to hide the root.

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post

Many Thanks. I understand now where your coming from. As you said though, would appreciate the ability to hide it. Having come from HS1/2/3 I am used to having a clean interface and hiding stuff I am not interested in. Did something change in 4.2 as you used to be able to hide root devices. Pre-4.2 I was quite happy with how it looked (although still had the sorting issue below)

What are your thoughts on sorting? If a root device has multiple outputs in different locations the childdevices are sorted by the root device location, not their own location. Yes you can filter, but even in that filtered list, they appear in the location of the root device. The location 1 and location 2 of child devices only seem to be used for filtering, not for sorting. Root device always trumps the child device.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Good information. We tried to simplify HS for the non technical user it's obvious that most of our users are more technical so this has not worked out so well.
      Note that if you change the location on a root device, it does change the location on all the features.
      We have a helpdesk that uses Jira so we could create a group there so segregate feature requests and track them. That system is currently visible only by user so we would have figure out how to manage that.
      Device Types have been a problem since plugins can create any device type that they want. HS4 has narrowed that down and expanded the device types but I don't think its exposed that much in the UI.
      The visibility level is on our roadmap for a future update.
      I hate posting a roadmap since users tend to hold you to whatever you post even though priorities can change. But I will see what we can share.
      Features like drag and drop and tree views don't work on mobile so were not considered. However, it is apparent that most of users don't use mobile so it might make sense to use these features. I am adding drag and drop to the event editing.
      You mentioned other systems, and I have not found one that I liked, they all have issues. On SmartThings, you have to do everything on your phone and good luck creating an complex event. I gave up after 10 clicks and page changes to create an action. On Home Assistant you need to be programmer to create an event. If you know of a system that has a really intuitive event editor I would like to see it. We have most systems set up in the office.

Originally posted by Ltek View Post

The way Homeseer does it is not the way many other HA systems do it; and most importantly... NOT the way it should be managed.

Managing a device should be based on Function (like many other systems do). The root is irrelevant to anything the user will do, and most things an admin will do. You do NOT create events or anything based on the root and very rarely based on Battery, etc. The fact we need for to explain this to you and convince you to make it right (after 20 years!), is very frustrating.

I've had to heavily modify the device labels in HS3 to make easy to admin. Large systems are difficult and tedious to navigate device lists, event creation, etc... the UX is Win 3.1 era and very tedious (no drag-n-drop, no tree style views, etc)

Just one thing (out of 100) that is needed...

To set a baseline... Devices consist of... Location (floor / room / indoors / outdoors / etc), feature (temperature, motion, etc), function (status only, control, etc) and admin type/category (system, hidden , etc ...Battery, Root, etc). Systems like Vera are smart enough to know you want to (by default) hide root, battery, etc... and only see the Controllable functionality. And each device is separate since they REALLY are separate devices even when in a single physical case. And systems like Vera standardize the way the admin sees them... unlike HS which is lazy and puts zero effort into making it consistent... a motion device can be a Type "Binary Switch" or "Home Security" or "Giraffe".. Yeah, I get that manufactures name them whatever... but the software should make things easy and consistent. Even with values... could be 1 or 100 or 255 ... create a standard or allow the admin to do it --- EASILY!

As for device admin... We should be able to change the Location of the Root and it should automatically change the adjoining "devices" (features).

We should be able to set a visibility level and save filter favorites for them.
      -- Examples of favorites filters:
      A) See all Kitchen devices but hide all non-controllable devices (root, battery, etc)
      B) See all Status Only devices in Room=System
      etc

I brought up this (and many other things) years ago. Use git, jira, or any other free system to publish a roadmap and let people submit and track requests... you would if you care about community input and take it seriously.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Are guys discussing like Shortcuts? : https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guid...ts/welcome/ios Now... that's too much work!

OK,

To clean this up a bit : Most systems are modelled on Home Automation Studio/Editor type of architecture (Tree) The server is also the GUI editor...Just like Crestron or CommandFusion : https://www.commandfusion.com/software/guidesigner

But to go for that model HomeSeer has to setup a test system to try something like that...

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          The root device should not override the sorting, I will take a look at that. And yes, I will allow you to hide the root.

Thank you very much. I attach an example below. The child device location is different to that of the root, but it appears under the root's location (with it's sub location underneath). Taking into consideration the over reaching need to hide child devices and treat features as devices in their own right.. it should appear in the top. It is indeed a light located in a totally different location to the root device.

Comment

Sounds like you are on a ZEE or PI-HUB, what version of HS4 do you currently have on the unit?

I have the same problem. Currently running 4.1.18.0. Tried the update to 4.2.0.0 many times, countdown runs fine, connection reestablishes, only to find the system still at 4.1.18.0. It is Zee S2 in my case

Comment

If you know of a system that has a really intuitive event editor I would like to see it. We have most systems set up in the office.

I think Jeedom has a very flexible event system. It works like the easytrigger plugin logic. Is is more intuitive in some ways. You can put almost everything related to a situation in one ‘’event’’. You can easily create events (scenarios) like ‘’if this happen do this until that.’’And conditional action are pretty easy to do

The only thing I hate about it is they are limiting some function because they want users to operate on arm style boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post

rjh
                I tried the repair indeed as there were a few warnings in the HS log (for a long time) on Jon00's network devices. Probably caused in HS3 already when I was messing with it.
                I was also thinking/hoping those devices might have caused it, so I did a repair - which did not solve the issue, so I just removed those devices and let the network plugin recreate them. But that did not solve the issue. It is still in there somehow. Repeating 5 lines every time, so I am guessing it should involve 5 devices. Its behaviour has changed though, it repeats twice when a "clean" browser has started and then goes silent?

I am zipping them up here and will send it to your mail adress.

Thanks,

Wim
                Same exact problem started for me after I installed Jon00's network monitor PI.Could that have anything to do with this? Do you resolve your problem since then?

Comment

Just upgraded from 4.1.18.0 to 4.2.7.0 and ran into the "if you hide the root device, all child features are also hidden" issue. So a workaround for this is still not available as of 4.2.7.0?

Comment

Originally posted by windracer View Post
                    Just upgraded from 4.1.18.0 to 4.2.7.0 and ran into the "if you hide the root device, all child features are also hidden" issue. So a workaround for this is still not available as of 4.2.7.0?
                    I just create a separate room/floor to put all the root devices in that I don't want to show up in my general house listing. Leave the child devices wherever you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by kennesaw10 View Post
                      I just create a separate room/floor to put all the root devices in that I don't want to show up in my general house listing. Leave the child devices wherever you want them.
                      Thanks for the workaround suggestion. I guess that means the ability to hide the root device without hiding the child features hasn't been "fixed" yet then. Guess I'll spend some time re-organizing my devices tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by windracer View Post
                        Thanks for the workaround suggestion. I guess that means the ability to hide the root device without hiding the child features hasn't been "fixed" yet then. Guess I'll spend some time re-organizing my devices tonight.
                        That doesnt work for me. Even putting the root devices in another location doesnt stop them appearing with a child item in HS4 and when hidden, it still hides the child in 4.2.11.0.

Using the DeviceUtility legacy HS3 page is currently the only way I can get a concise list of exactly the devices that I want in the order that I want. HS4 displays just dont cut it at the moment

Comment

Any progress on this issue? I have a HS-FLS100+ I would like to display the child devices for separately, particularly the light switch.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanS View Post
                            Any progress on this issue? I have a HS-FLS100+ I would like to display the child devices for separately, particularly the light switch.
                            This thread is nearly 2 years old. If you are asking about progress on hiding root devices, that was fixed last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	137
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1653734

Root hidden:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	147
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1653733
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Guess I wouldn't have asked if I knew how to do that but I did find this. Thanks for the help.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...s3#post1608042

Comment

Working...
                              X