HS 4.2 Zwave firmware update problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS 4.2 Zwave firmware update problem

I just upgraded to HS 4.2 version and the Zwave firmware upgrade feature failed to update Inovelli LZW31-SN dimmer light switch. I selected the otz file from Inovelli website and the HS4's upgrade status can't complete the process even after 1 hours and 30 mins. I think there is a problem with the firmware upgrade feature for HS 4.2 version.

Might check by rolling HS4 back to the previous version and try again. The only way to be sure it's 4.2

Comment

Just be aware that updating LZW31-SN is not simple, in that there are two different firmware files and two different targets that have to be specified. In the past I've used the free Silicon Labs z-wave tool to update those dimmers. I have not upgraded to HS 4.2 because the various issues everyone has reported, so I'm not sure the updater in 4.2 allows the variable target flexibility.

Comment

The HS 4.2 version does not allow to upload .bin file for LZW31-SN. The bin file is needed to update MCU (different processor than 500 series Zwave chip). I hope HS team can fix the firmware upgrade feature. I will try the Silicon Labs software, but it seems very complex operations. Some one posted online to remove Zwave then upgrade the firmware and finally add it back to Homeseer. I don't want to redo my events again with the new node number.

Comment

Originally posted by sclin View Post
          Some one posted online to remove Zwave then upgrade the firmware and finally add it back to Homeseer. I don't want to redo my events again with the new node number.
          Nope, no need for that. Folks who posted that don't fully understand how Z-wave networks work, in that, the controller owns the relationship with the node/device, not the platform software. If you are running Homeseer on Windows with a USB stick then it's easy.

Here are the very high level steps:

1. Get the Silicon Labs software and install on the Windows PC running Homeseer.
          2. Just to be safe (your choice) do a backup of your Z-wave controller.
          3. Note the node number of the device you want to flash the firmware.
          3. Shutdown homeseer.
          4. Startup the Silicon Labs software and using the Z-wave module, point it to the USB stick controller. At this point it should read and display all the nodes in your network.
          5. Identify your target node, send it a basic On or Off command to make sure comms are good.
          6. Flash your firmwares.
          7. Shutdown Silicon Labs software.
          8. Restart Homeseer.

One caveat is that Inovelli's stuff is buggy (hence why I've abandoned recommending and installing their devices) and the device might need a factory reset to operate properly. Also there's a chance that your previous Z-wave parameters will be erased or altered on the device.

To do a factory reset on the device and NOT lose your events, scripts, etc for that device:

1. Do the factory reset on the device.
          2. Goto the Homeseer Z-wave tab for that device and execute the Test Connectivity function. It should fail.
          3. Staying on that Z-wave tab, next execute the Replace Bad Node function and trigger the inclusion process on the device.
          4. The end result is that the device will be re-added to your network but retain the previous Z-wave node number and Homeseer device ID.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Nope, no need for that. Folks who posted that don't fully understand how Z-wave networks work, in that, the controller owns the relationship with the node/device, not the platform software. If you are running Homeseer on Windows with a USB stick then it's easy.

Here are the very high level steps:

1. Get the Silicon Labs software and install on the Windows PC running Homeseer.
            2. Just to be safe (your choice) do a backup of your Z-wave controller.
            3. Note the node number of the device you want to flash the firmware.
            3. Shutdown homeseer.
            4. Startup the Silicon Labs software and using the Z-wave module, point it to the USB stick controller. At this point it should read and display all the nodes in your network.
            5. Identify your target node, send it a basic On or Off command to make sure comms are good.
            6. Flash your firmwares.
            7. Shutdown Silicon Labs software.
            8. Restart Homeseer.

One caveat is that Inovelli's stuff is buggy (hence why I've abandoned recommending and installing their devices) and the device might need a factory reset to operate properly. Also there's a chance that your previous Z-wave parameters will be erased or altered on the device.

To do a factory reset on the device and NOT lose your events, scripts, etc for that device:

1. Do the factory reset on the device.
            2. Goto the Homeseer Z-wave tab for that device and execute the Test Connectivity function. It should fail.
            3. Staying on that Z-wave tab, next execute the Replace Bad Node function and trigger the inclusion process on the device.
            4. The end result is that the device will be re-added to your network but retain the previous Z-wave node number and Homeseer device ID.

Hope this helps.

I know this is a slightly old post, however I have been trying to work out how to update my Red edition dimmers.

All of my HA work is done on a headless linux machine w/a Homeseer SmartStick G3+ (700 Series).
            So, based on what I know about ZWave, I believe I should be able to do the following:
            1. Backup the Controller under Homeseer via web interface.
            2. Make note of node numbers that need firmware updates.
            3. Shut down Homeseer.
            4. Get the Silicon Labs software (I believe you are meaning Simplicity Studio) and install on a Windows PC.
            5. Unplug Controller and plug into the same Windows machine.
            6. Startup the Silicon Labs software and using the Z-wave module, point it to the USB stick controller. At this point it should read and display all the nodes in your network.
            7. Identify your target node, send it a basic On or Off command to make sure comms are good.
            8. Flash your firmwares.
            9. Shutdown Silicon Labs software.
            10. Plug Controller back into Linux machine.
            11. Restart Homeseer.
            I am not a ZWave expert, but this should work, correct?

Edit: A bit more reading and you likely meant the Z-Wave PC Controller software, not Simplicity Studio.
            Edit Again: Nope. Wrong again, Simplicity studio is the current product for this; Steps here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeves View Post

I know this is a slightly old post, however I have been trying to work out how to update my Red edition dimmers.

All of my HA work is done on a headless linux machine w/a Homeseer SmartStick G3+ (700 Series).
              So, based on what I know about ZWave, I believe I should be able to do the following:
              1. Backup the Controller under Homeseer via web interface.
              2. Make note of node numbers that need firmware updates.
              3. Shut down Homeseer.
              4. Get the Silicon Labs software (I believe you are meaning Simplicity Studio) and install on a Windows PC.
              5. Unplug Controller and plug into the same Windows machine.
              6. Startup the Silicon Labs software and using the Z-wave module, point it to the USB stick controller. At this point it should read and display all the nodes in your network.
              7. Identify your target node, send it a basic On or Off command to make sure comms are good.
              8. Flash your firmwares.
              9. Shutdown Silicon Labs software.
              10. Plug Controller back into Linux machine.
              11. Restart Homeseer.
              I am not a ZWave expert, but this should work, correct?

Edit: A bit more reading and you likely meant the Z-Wave PC Controller software, not Simplicity Studio.
              Edit Again: Nope. Wrong again, Simplicity studio is the current product for this; Steps here.
              Correct, it is Simplicity Studio. Even though it's free, getting it and setting it up takes several steps which you've hopefully found resources for. After you initialize SS software there might be some tool updates and downloads, I believe others on the Internet have documented this.
              Your process as outlined above seems sound.

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Correct, it is Simplicity Studio. Even though it's free, getting it and setting it up takes several steps which you've hopefully found resources for. After you initialize SS software there might be some tool updates and downloads, I believe others on the Internet have documented this.
                Your process as outlined above seems sound.
                Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                X