Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Config File from HS3 to HS4 missing?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Config File from HS3 to HS4 missing?

    Hello, I was an early adopter of HS4 and betas. Didn't like it at the time, too many bugs, so I went back to HS3. Now with the Mr. Fetty no longer updating the MyQ plugin on HS3, I'm forcibly moving to HS4 due to events and needs to operate MyQ.

    I followed upgrade instructions posted in the Homeseer docs. However the article was written August 13 2020, and new iterations may have changed the layout in the UI.

    These are the instructions in the upgrade doc
    -------
    1. After HS4 starts, go into Setup then click the Edit Config button and select your HS3 config to IMPORT it. It will be named something with .hsd and Import in the name. This will bring in your devices and events.
    -------
    However the path to this file is different than the article suggests, it is now under GENERAL tab and there is no .hsd file in the edit config section of HS4. Instead is HomeSeerData.json file.

    I must be missing something for uploading my old .HS3 file to integrate into HS4.

    Hopefully someone can give me some direction, as the instructions need to be updated on the Homeseer doc

    Thank you

    Matt
    Hometroller HS6 Pro


    Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-05 (2).png
Views:	126
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1493681

    Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-05 (3).png
Views:	83
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1493682

    #2
    I have tried copying to the old HS3 folder and creating a new HS4 folder for separate directories and transfer config and data contents from HS3 to HS4 folders. In either case, I can't access the system from the web interface. THIS PAGE ISN'T WORKING RIGHT NOW is displayed. I tried going to the settings.ini file and changing the binding IP address, with no change.

    The idea of a clean intal HS4 and creating 70+ zwave nodes and over 500 events versus importing data makes me very grumpy.

    Comment


      #3
      The instructions are correct. Select Setup and edit config should show if you are on the default General tab. What exactly happens when select edit config and select your old HS3 config file?

      -Rupp
      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        Have your tried going to find.homeser,com. If you were running WiFi and the new load is not configured for WiFi you will need to cable connect to your LAN to find it. It should show up in the find menu. and clicking the name should open it. You then need to set up your user to get on the norm way. If it logs you on as a guest, that is and issue that requires connecting the Linux system, finding and deleting the user config file in Linux which will then let you get access to the menus like user with are denied to guest users. This is how it is done on Linux/Pi based systems. It may be different for Win based systems.

        Comment


          #5
          If you start with an HS3 file that has never been upgraded, you will need to go to the license area and replace your HS3 license and password with that of your HS4 upgrade. If you then to go the find.homeseer,com Maintenance menu for that controller, it should open an show you what version you are currently running and then offer the choice to upgrade to HS4. That will probably require you to renter the HS4 license and password and then should proceed to install HS4. This is how it is done on Linux/Pi based systems. It may be different for Win based systems.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            The instructions are correct. Select Setup and edit config should show if you are on the default General tab. What exactly happens when select edit config and select your old HS3 config file?
            I tried setting the HS4 install into the old HS3 folder directory, and then deploy HS4. Oddly, HS3 kept loading at the same time. So I deleted the hs3.exe file in the directory. When I did get into HS4, general tab, the old file was not available in config settings as an option.

            So with trying to do HS4 install and manually move over the data/config files, it would lock me out of the system. The logs said it was not registered, but couldn't get into the web interface to register.

            I just did a clean install of HS4. There must have been a corrupt file somewhere.

            Honestly so frustrated I just deleted my entire Zwave network, manually reset each switch and started building my entire network from scratch. It's the 500 events that ticks me off now. Having to re-write each event is laborious!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MattMan View Post


              Honestly so frustrated I just deleted my entire Zwave network, manually reset each switch and started building my entire network from scratch. It's the 500 events that ticks me off now. Having to re-write each event is laborious!
              Sorry MattMan , your saga above is one of the nails in the coffin that keeps me from even trying an HS4 upgrade yet. I'm still converting things from HS 1.7 and an older OmniPro 1.9 to the brand new (well new from Worthington Distribution) OmniPro with the latest firmware. I can't throw in another unknown variable considering the horror stories such as yours. My wife would simply disown me.

              Hopefully there will be current upgrade documentation published (Hint Rupp this small little project is something that HST can knock out quickly IMHO) that details exactly what the process is to upgrade from HS3 Pro to HS4 Pro without having to glean and cut/paste different techniques and tips from about 14 threads so far on the subject.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by George View Post

                Sorry MattMan , your saga above is one of the nails in the coffin that keeps me from even trying an HS4 upgrade yet. I'm still converting things from HS 1.7 and an older OmniPro 1.9 to the brand new (well new from Worthington Distribution) OmniPro with the latest firmware. I can't throw in another unknown variable considering the horror stories such as yours. My wife would simply disown me.

                Hopefully there will be current upgrade documentation published (Hint Rupp this small little project is something that HST can knock out quickly IMHO) that details exactly what the process is to upgrade from HS3 Pro to HS4 Pro without having to glean and cut/paste different techniques and tips from about 14 threads so far on the subject.
                It's pretty awful today in the houeshold. Glaring eyes from my wife over the last 8 hours, and I'm barely into. You're effectively starting from scratch is better than migrating copy/paste. It just doesn't work, at least for me.

                I waited 2 years for HS4 to get the bugs out, but just getting moved over is the bug. There should be a more fluid process

                Gotta go the wife is looking at me again.

                SMH

                Comment


                  #9
                  You don't happen to have a backup you can roll back to do you? I use Acronis and I do weekly Full Disk backups with Daily incrementals going back for 2 months.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by MattMan View Post

                    It's pretty awful today in the houeshold. Glaring eyes from my wife over the last 8 hours, and I'm barely into. You're effectively starting from scratch is better than migrating copy/paste. It just doesn't work, at least for me.

                    I waited 2 years for HS4 to get the bugs out, but just getting moved over is the bug. There should be a more fluid process

                    Gotta go the wife is looking at me again.

                    SMH
                    You probably only needed to keyin your HS4 servers ipaddress/register.html to continue but it sounds like that ship has sailed. Waiting longer to upgrade is actually the worst thing you can do as the upgrade procedures were designed when HS4 was first release and a lot has changed since then.
                    -Rupp
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Rupp View Post

                      You probably only needed to keyin your HS4 servers ipaddress/register.html to continue but it sounds like that ship has sailed. Waiting longer to upgrade is actually the worst thing you can do as the upgrade procedures were designed when HS4 was first release and a lot has changed since then.
                      "Upgrade procedures were designed when HS4 was first released!"

                      I rest my case!! I am not going to chance an upgrade until there is a vetted new copy of the procedure.

                      What would the Apollo astronauts think? Well the procedures were written for Apollo 1, so you should be good to go! Big Stickeye!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by George View Post

                        "Upgrade procedures were designed when HS4 was first released!"

                        I rest my case!! I am not going to chance an upgrade until there is a vetted new copy of the procedure.

                        What would the Apollo astronauts think? Well the procedures were written for Apollo 1, so you should be good to go! Big Stickeye!!
                        You may be waiting a long time. It's tough enough to write the documentation once let alone keep it up to date every time something changes. Seriously though this isn't rocket science and I used the HS4 upgrade as a time to redo my setup while HS3 purred along. Once it was setup I shut HS3 down. This is the best way in my opinion to upgrade.
                        -Rupp
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You willing to buy me a new server to install HS4 on?

                          Doing a new install on a new machine is NOT an upgrade path.
                          And the horror stories I've read of incompatible EXE's, DLL's and paths are daunting if anyone wants to take a chance on totally mucking up their current installation by trying to install HS4 in parallel with HS3.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by George View Post
                            You willing to buy me a new server to install HS4 on?

                            Doing a new install on a new machine is NOT an upgrade path.
                            And the horror stories I've read of incompatible EXE's, DLL's and paths are daunting if anyone wants to take a chance on totally mucking up their current installation by trying to install HS4 in parallel with HS3.
                            You can do it on the same server.
                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by George View Post
                              You don't happen to have a backup you can roll back to do you? I use Acronis and I do weekly Full Disk backups with Daily incrementals going back for 2 months.
                              So I periodically make event backups in json.file and will save my HS3 folder every time before install a new plugin or make changes. Just in case.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X