Hardware for HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware for HS4

I am ready to break down, and upgrade to HS4. I currently run HS3 on the S6 pro hardware. I really like the form factor but would like to get a build that is armed to the teeth with power components. Has anyone used something with a similar form factor but with significant power upgrades? Thanks.

I use this Beelink to run HS4. It's discontinued, but there are similar ones that you can buy.

I get the desire for power components, but if you're just running HS4, you don't need that much. I was running it on my desktop computer: I9-11900k, 64gb DDR 3600, RTX 3090 FTW3 video card, bunches of SSDs.

I moved HS4 to the Beelink, and it runs the same.

As always, YMMV!

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
      <snip>RTX 3090 FTW3 video card<snip>
      Wow, surprised you could get one. My son sold his 2070 (I think) more than a year ago with the intend to buy a 3080. It was just maybe a month ago that he finally got one (list price, not the crazy prices out there). Nice rig.

As for the OP, I did not measure CPU/RAM/etc consumption but I did not see any difference moving from HS3 to HS4. So I would GUESS(!) your existing HW is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        Wow, surprised you could get one. My son sold his 2070 (I think) more than a year ago with the intend to buy a 3080. It was just maybe a month ago that he finally got one (list price, not the crazy prices out there). Nice rig.

As for the OP, I did not measure CPU/RAM/etc consumption but I did not see any difference moving from HS3 to HS4. So I would GUESS(!) your existing HW is just fine.
        I got lucky-ish.

Refusing to pay scalper pricing: I had tried for months unsuccessfully to beat the bots that scarf up every RTX that Best Buy makes available. I can't tell you how many Newegg Shuffle fails I had.

The very first time I went on ANTOnline, they had them. They sell them at MSRP, but they also package it with a bunch-o-other components (also at MSRP) that I don't need and gave away mostly.

Bad timing market-wise, but I had to take the plunge because my GTX 1080 Ti was dying a slow-ish death.

Recounting this made me realize that my above post was less-than-accurate: HS4 was running with the GTX, not the RTX video card. Not that it affects HS3/4 in any way

Comment

Originally posted by hiken View Post
          I am ready to break down, and upgrade to HS4. I currently run HS3 on the S6 pro hardware. I really like the form factor but would like to get a build that is armed to the teeth with power components. Has anyone used something with a similar form factor but with significant power upgrades? Thanks.
          Why "armed to the teeth with power components"? Do you mean "high performance CPU, memory and storage"? Those are the only components that would matter (display hardware is irrelevant).

Honestly, unless you are running a very large number of plugins, a Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB of RAM and any SSD will be more than enough performance-wise. That's what I am running, and HS4 performance with a half-dozen plugins is super-fast. Anything beyond that is a waste of electricity.

Comment

Even an inexpensive laptop works well too.
            I have a Lenovo I grabbed at Best Buy a couple years ago and it's been great. I think it was $250 at the most.
            Since it's a laptop it even has a built in 'battery backup"

Ran HS3 and then updated to HS4 without issue last summer.
            Dan-O
            HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Running HS4 on an old laptop is the ideal home automation platform IMO. You have built-in battery backup and you can carry the computer to a troublesome Z-wave node during inclusion issues.

I'm running an old Core2 Duo Dell laptop, has to be 10+ years old? I simply swapped in a cheap 250MB SSD and memory is 8GB, running Win7 Enterprise. More than sufficient and it prevented me from putting the laptop into the recycling/landfill stream.

Comment

Without knowing what you have planned exactly its hard to make a recommendation. But as a general statement use a quality ssd and most anything with a chipset 5 years old or newer will perform adequatly with exception to the highest demanding workloads. But if all you need is to flip on and off a few light or locks then you really don't need much.

Comment

I ending up finding the company that probably supplied the original HS3 hardware. Shuttle. I ordered a souped-up version. BTW - I have approx 70 device, and 10 plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by hiken View Post
                      I ending up finding the company that probably supplied the original HS3 hardware. Shuttle. I ordered a souped-up version. BTW - I have approx 70 device, and 10 plugins.
                      I ended up with Intel Xeon Silver 4214R - 2.4 GHz 12-core - 24 threads - 16.5 MB cache - LGA3647 Socket.

Need to wait a few weeks. But I'm confident that this will give sufficient CPU power
                      ---
                      John

Comment

Intel NUC
                        tenholde

Comment

I just change my old HomeTroller S6 pro, that was not powerfull enough, for a Kingdel Smart Mini PC Intel i7 8th Gen CPU Home PC 2 x COM RS232 4 x USB 3.0 Port HD VGA Wi-Fi 16GB RAM + 512GB SSD And a Beelink Mini PC SEI10 Intel 10ème génération Dual-Core i3-10110U, as a back up, and HS4 work verry well on both.

I have around 200 hardware device, with 10 PI.

JYA

Comment

Working...
                          X