Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Homeseer

Well done Homeseer!

I have been doing home automation (domotique en Français ) for over 40 years, started with X-10 technology. My home has always been a home automation laboratory. Although I am not a programmer, I do quite well in computer science.

Over the years, and through my experiences, what frustrated me the most in the field is to see the progressive abandonment of technologies that I used by manufacturers, which can be seen by the spacing over time of new software versions aimed at improving the product. More overhaul tirelessly leads to discontinuation of the product as I have experienced with HAI, CORACCESS or CORTEXA systems.

HomeSeer might not be the best automation system on the market, and I don't always fully agree with the guidance of the developers of HS (being a heavy user of HSTouch), but HomeSeer is definitely one of the best. One of the best for DIY, for its stability, flexibility, relative ease of installation and very useful forum.

The latest improvements such as the <event warning notification> for one, demonstrate in my opinion that the company is very active, looking for product improvement, and is not ready to leave the field of home automation. Some slackening for a few months recently (and we can understand the reason), but major and very interesting revisions since the arrival of HS4.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and even less in IT, but Homeseer has given me a lot of pleasure for over 7 years in addition to making everyday life in the house more automated and enjoyable!!

Thanks, Homeseer

Jean-Yves Archambault, Laval, Québec

HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.0.5 (Windows 10)
    Ecobee 4.0.15.0,EnvisaLink 3.0.0.42,HSBuddy 3.25.614.1,Insteon 3.0.7.19,JowiHue 4.0.4.10,Sonos4 4.0.1.2,TPLinkSmartHome4 2021.4.30.0,UltraGCIR3 3.0.6551.16959,Z-Wave 3.0.7.0,Z-Wave UI 1.0.0.0

Click image for larger version

Name:	JYA.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1496521

Originally posted by jyves@videotron.ca View Post

HomeSeer might not be the best automation system on the market, and I don't always fully agree with the guidance of the developers of HS (being a heavy user of HSTouch), but HomeSeer is definitely one of the best. One of the best for DIY, for its stability, flexibility, relative ease of installation and very useful forum.

I would have to disagree. I would say Homeseer is absolutely the best at this point in time. I use several automation platforms including Stargate, Homeseer, Hubitat, Home Assistant, and Polisy, and Homeseer is the only one that I could standardize on to do everything on one platform if I wanted to. No matter how strong other systems might be in a given feature only Homeseer can do it all, at least for what I need.

Comment

And 4.2.0.8 is even better
      ---
      John

Comment

[QUOTE=upstatemike;n1496546]

I would have to disagree. I would say Homeseer is absolutely the best at this point in time. I use several automation platforms including Stargate, Homeseer, Hubitat, Home Assistant, and Polisy, and Homeseer is the only one that I could standardize on to do everything on one platform if I wanted to. No matter how strong other systems might be in a given feature only Homeseer can do it all, at least for what I need.[/QUOTE]

I did not want to mention the best, because I don’t know all the systems on the market, like Contol 4 or Crestron of today (although I installed long time ago a Control 4 and a Crestron at home). But yes, to my knowledge, and by looking extensively to others systems , Homeseer is the way to go, at least for the DIY’er today.

JYA

Comment

I do think Homeseer edges out Hubitat because of the commercial model on Plugins. When I try to do add a "plugin" to Hubitat you rely on the goodwill of a developer whereas in Homeseer you pay the developer for the app which incentives the developer to make a good product.

PS> I wish some apps would move up to HS4 sooner than later.

Comment

The only, for lack of a better word, complaint I have is regarding plugins. If I invest in my programming and build important automation dependent on a plugin, there is no guarantee that the plugin will survive throughout the life of my system or a future HS upgrade. The same issue exists with WordPress plugins. However, HS has more control over the plugin because it's sold through their developer agreement. Personally, I think HS should require plugin developers to escrow their current source code with HS. In the event, the developer ceases to exist or doesn't work with future versions of HS, then HS could decide what to do with the code. Fix it, release it into the public domain, etc. I know, I know, there are all kinds of valid reasons for the developers to get their dander up over my comments and I don't want to start a flame war here. I just want to express how I feel about the Achilles heel of independently authored plugins. I certainly, can't live without 'em!

Comment

Good point!,

Are you trying to say that the devs who offer their plug-ins for free have no liability to anyone...? Got it!. And it's amazing they offer the best support there is. One could just wish that their code was included in HomeSeer, not as gesture of good will but their pure dedication to see Homeseer live on till the End OF Time.... You know who you're...am not going to call out names but credits be bestowed onto you and that we're not worthy of your good deeds!

Live long and prosper!

Eman.
              TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I know there is a risk in having independent plugin developers but it seems that there would be more risk in having everything in-house:

-What if a plugin you love serves so few people that it would never get released or upgraded because of higher priorities?
                -What if a plugin you want to see never gets addressed because there is no in-house expertise or interest or enthusiasm for it?
                -What if new system releases got delayed for months because the same resources who develop them now have to go back and remediate all of the plugins to work with the changes?
                -What if plugins for expensive devices (like tesla cars) never happened because it is impractical for HS to buy a sample unit to test with?

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                  I know there is a risk in having independent plugin developers but it seems that there would be more risk in having everthing in-house:

-What if a plugin you love serves so few people that it would never get released or upgraded because of higher priorities?
                  -What if a plugin you want to see never gets addressed because there is no in-house expertise or interest or enthusiasm for it?
                  -What if new system releases got delayed for months because the same resources who develop them now have to go back and remediate all of the plugins to work with the changes?
                  -What if plugins for expensive devices (like tesla cars) never happened because it is impractical for HS to buy a sample unit to test with?
                  I decided to take you on all the above, add a man in the middle (others call it a second point of failure)...Simply just add ioBroker...Done!

ioBroker Nodes <=== Node-RED ===> HS Nodes..."2 way comms"

Eman.
                  TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                    I know there is a risk in having independent plugin developers but it seems that there would be more risk in having everthing in-house:

I never suggested that all the plugin development be done in-house. Only that there be some provision for keeping the plugin alive, or released into the public domain if the developer ceases. I.E. Keeping copies of the plugin code in escrow in-house.

Comment

I haven't actually tried many HA systems but I did plenty of research before switching from Vera to HS. My main criteria were not being dependent on the internet, no monthly fees and good customization that I can do myself. At the time I made the decision HS was the best. It probably still is. HS4 added some well needed integration like MyQ, Logitech Harmony (though Logitech decided to exit this business, etc). The latest upgrade also seems to add some good new enhancements. Having said that,

* the event engine still is missing if-then-else
                      * the event engine still can't see when a DSC zone was bypassed/un-bypassed
                      * the event engine is still missing many other essential feature so people have to purchase EasyTrigger
                      * HSTouch is still cumbersome and requires a lot of work arounds

There is more but those are probably my top complaints. I understand no system is perfect but the above are items that seem to come up pretty frequently so it is strange that HS doesn't solve these.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words! While we have been a little AWOL lately my goal is to listen to everyone and add the features you want! Its the user who has always guided this software and I want to continue with that. We will be keeping the updates coming on a regular basis so you can always look forward to something new!
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                          Thank you all for the kind words! While we have been a little AWOL lately my goal is to listen to everyone and add the features you want! Its the user who has always guided this software and I want to continue with that. We will be keeping the updates coming on a regular basis so you can always look forward to something new!
                          Keep up the good work👍
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                            rjh thank YOU for keeping HA DIY alive as many other products went by the wayside! Originally, I bought HS solely to add Alexa control to my Omni. panel. When I moved houses I "temporarily" recreated some of the Omni automation events in HA. Well, the Omni still isn't re-installed and I'm doing everything (and MORE) in HS! My only pain point is that I wish there was better native support in HS for UPB switches and lighting. Other than the wish-list from other users I'm looking forward to a long, relationship with HomeSeer.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                              I haven't actually tried many HA systems but I did plenty of research before switching from Vera to HS. My main criteria were not being dependent on the internet, no monthly fees and good customization that I can do myself. At the time I made the decision HS was the best. It probably still is. HS4 added some well needed integration like MyQ, Logitech Harmony (though Logitech decided to exit this business, etc). The latest upgrade also seems to add some good new enhancements. Having said that,

* the event engine still is missing if-then-else
                              * the event engine still can't see when a DSC zone was bypassed/un-bypassed
                              * the event engine is still missing many other essential feature so people have to purchase EasyTrigger
                              * HSTouch is still cumbersome and requires a lot of work arounds

There is more but those are probably my top complaints. I understand no system is perfect but the above are items that seem to come up pretty frequently so it is strange that HS doesn't solve these.
                              I think some of these are a bit of a catch 22 for homeseer. Eliminate the need for easytrigger and others and they lose valuable contributors to plug-in development. I think you have to have a feel going in for what additional plug-ins you’re going to want and add these to the cost of ownership. Honestly, this is what kept me on Vera for so long and why I resisted homeseer. Well, that and sheer laziness.

I’ve spent FAR more in the last two months getting homeseer up and running than I ever spent on Vera. But I feel like we have a unit that is on the level of a control 4/crestron, with the added benefit that I can tinker to my hearts content. Now if I could just get the alarm sensors on our crazy alarm system integrated…

Comment

Working...
                              X