Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HS4 and Office365 - anyone got it to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 and Office365 - anyone got it to work?

Has anyone gotten HS4 to play well with Office365? I have triple-checked (and tried 2 accounts) and they are both enabled for POP and SMPT access.
    I think O365 requires TLS, but even the POP3 access seems to fail:

10/23/2021 12:53:30 PM HomeSeer Warning Sending email To: thomas.nielsen@yahoo.com aborted after 4 tries
    10/23/2021 12:53:30 PM HomeSeer Error Exception sending email via smtp.office365.com (To:thomas.nielsen@yahoo.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:From Homeseer, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.
    10/23/2021 12:53:19 PM HomeSeer Error Exception sending email via smtp.office365.com (To:thomas.nielsen@yahoo.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:From Homeseer, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.
    10/23/2021 12:53:08 PM HomeSeer Error Exception sending email via smtp.office365.com (To:thomas.nielsen@yahoo.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:From Homeseer, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.
    10/23/2021 12:52:57 PM HomeSeer Error Exception sending email via smtp.office365.com (To:thomas.nielsen@yahoo.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:From Homeseer, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.
    10/23/2021 12:52:57 PM HomeSeer Event Event Trigger "Test E-Mail Test"
    10/23/2021 12:52:57 PM HomeSeer Event Event Test E-Mail Test triggered by the events page 'Run' button.
    10/23/2021 12:49:13 PM HomeSeer Error Unable to connect to POP server(1) outlook.office365.com Error: Last network operation failed.
    10/23/2021 12:49:13 PM HomeSeer Error Unable to connect to POP server(2) outlook.office365.com Error: Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.

Would love to hear other people's experiences before I file a bug with Homeseer

Interestingly, mine has been working perfectly since going to HS4, but has stopped working since I upgraded to 4.2.5

Comment

The logs say you are trying to connect with ssl on a non ssl port, what port number are you trying to use?

Comment

Interesting. I might try to log a bug with HS.
        I am using port 995 for SSL for inbound POP3 and 587 for SMTP. I don't see anyway to configure HS4 to use STARTTLS for outbound...

MFULLER - I am curious how you got things to work (both inbound and outbound)?

Comment

It’s got to be a bug. Mine has become sporadic with 4.2.5 while trying to relay via Office 365 via port 587. I’m getting the same “non SSL port” message when it fails. Was working pretty solid before 4.2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I filed a bug with HS and the response back was that only Gmail is supported... go figure. It just feel wrong that there is no support for one of the most used email platforms on the planet... But I guess there is no point telling you guys that :-( Let me know if anyone has success with this. I really would hate to have to set up a Gmail account and forward specific mails to it just to make things work with HS4...

Comment

Well, that explains why using my own mail server (which I had done for years) stopped working when I moved to version 4. Thanks HomeSeer. So it’s now use gmail (which is sometimes REALLY slow to relay, thus making text notifications sometimes very delayed, i.e. useless) or use nothing at all. Strange that the setup still allows entry for another mail server setup if only gmail works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I got scolded by HS support team by stating in this thread that non-gmail providers are not supported, so I should clarify:

The reply from HS was "We only recommend using GMail for HS4 use and do not have procedures for using any other providers." So I'm not sure what we need to make clear. Others may have other providers working we simply do not support setting them up via the help desk"

I contacted help desk to get help setting up a non-gmail provider (O365). If the response back is that 'we do do not support setting (non gmail) up via the helpdesk' then I don't see how this can be interpreted in any other way that only gmail is supported. Other providers *might* work, but you are on your own. It is not a tested solution (otherwise it would be supported?). Let this be a caution to anyone trying to use features in HS that *should* work, but might not be supported. I think HS need to be much more clear about what 'supported' means and what we can expect to work (i.e. my bug report was ignored).

I now am off my soapbox, but still no luck getting non-gmail providers to work. I would be very curious if anyone has a non-gmail provider up and running in HS4?

Comment

I used to be able to send email using my own Nethserver in house system but no longer in HS4. I too was told by HST to use Gmail. No thank you.
                  https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Write a script to send emails using your email provider - that's what I did, although for gmail and not with O365.

While HS and gmail are supported and officially recommended, I found that it would occasionally break for no reason while my Perl scripts continued to send email via gmail. As a result, I stopped relying on HS's email capability and execute my Perl script from HS to send emails. I even added replacement variables to match HS's features.
                    Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                    Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
                    Number of Devices: 633
                    Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.54.0: BLBackup
                    2.0.40.0: BLLAN
                    3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                    3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                    3.0.0.87: weatherXML
                    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Node red can send email using my in house server as well. Just need to figure out how to use HS variables with it.
                      https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Originally posted by Euroboy View Post
                        I filed a bug with HS and the response back was that only Gmail is supported... go figure.
                        This is my frustration with Homeseer. It's an amazing product and bomb proof.. but some concepts they just refuse to update or move on. Constantly saying no to things because that's just the way it's always been. I hate to say it, but another nail in the coffin of Homeseer for me.

Comment

I don't use incoming email but outgoing works fine in HS4 V4.2.5 using my ISP's email servers.

SMTP works both with port 465 (SSL ticked) or port 25 (SSL unticked)

Back to the OP question, Both HS3 & HS4 uses a purchased component called mail.dll which fully supports Office 365 (details here). The problem is that Office 365 needs access tokens as per the following code example: https://www.limilabs.com/blog/oauth2...imap-pop3-smtp

It just seems HST has lost the will to sort out these issues. No wonder people are moving away rjh What's your view on this? Adding the extra code for different providers does not seem that hard to do from the examples given?
                          Jon

Comment

jon00 - thank you for pointing out how HS3/4 deals with e-mail. I kinda suspected O365 wanted a access token - seems to be the way most providers are going...

I totally get not everything can be a priority (I have been in the software business for 30+ years and we always want more features than we have engineering capacity for...). But my point was that it would be better if there is clarity around what is supported (and what is not) as it will save us a lot of time testing/debugging and (God forbid) make decisions to move to alternative platforms based on feature/functionality.

I took a look at the snippets of code on the Limilabs web-site and it does look pretty straight-forward. I would write the code myself if I had access to the HS4 code-base :-) I don't have the time (or probably skills) to write a HS4 e-mail plug-in (which would be the next logical step of HST don't want to 'fix' e-mail support). Double sigh.

Comment

Not to dig up an old thread for no reason... I have recently run into the same issue since my email hosting provider (GoDaddy) switched over to O365 earlier this year, and this forum was as close as I found to an answer. I went ahead and logged a support ticket with HS, to at least help elevate this for them. Unfortunately, I was also given the same workaround recommendation of setting up a new Gmail account.

If nothing else, I guess I wanted to commiserate.

Comment

Working...
                              X