Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copying HS4 Pro from Hometroller S6 Pro (Windows CE) to new Windows 10 Intel NUC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying HS4 Pro from Hometroller S6 Pro (Windows CE) to new Windows 10 Intel NUC

Hi,
    I know there have been numerous articles on this, but I can't seem to find all the information I need to be confident enough that I'm doing it right.
    I have a Windows CE Intel Celeron based Hometroller S6 Pro machine that has been serving me well for many years now. I recently upgraded the machine to HS4 Pro and this all seemed to go ok. However, the CPU is now almost constantly loaded at 100% and navigating through the HS4 Devices/Events/Plugin pages is getting to be painfully slow. I have a new-ish Gen10/11 Intel NUC that I bought to transfer the HS4 install to, but I am unsure on a few of the steps.
    1. Write down all the plugins I have installed on the old machine,
    2. Shut down HS4 on the old machine and make a full copy of the entire HS4 folder and shutdown the machine.
    3. Fresh install of HS4 on the new Windows10 machine, but don't register it or do any of the setup.
    4. Copy the backed up HS4 folder over the install on the new machine.
    5. Move over the Aeon ZWave stick from the old machine to the new one.
    6. Start up HS4
    7. Install all the plugins
    8. Cross fingers and hope it all works

Bits I am unsure about are -
    1. Do I need to do anything with regards to the ZWave plugin settings or setting up the Aeon ZWave stick on the new machine etc.
    2. I'm paranoid about screwing up both the new and old install. If the new install doesn't work, can I just plug the Aeon ZWave stick back into the old machine and turn it on and everything will work?
    3. Is there anyway to not move the Aeon ZWave stick to the new machine and instead transfer all of the Zwave devices/associations etc. to a new ZWave stick?
    4. Have I missed anything from in the steps above?
    5. How does everyone deal with Windows10 forced reboots and updates, do you all shut this service down and only update manually at a time of your own choosing?
    6. Any other Windows10 issues that seem to happen lots for 24/7 uninterrupted service machines?

Thanks in advance,

The best thing to do is to contact HomeSeer (HST) for advice because your license or licenses are tied to the original box Hometroller S6 Pro

If you can come to an agreement for you to acquire an HSx/HSx PRO license. Now they have the HS4Pi version as well : https://homeseer.com/home-automation-software/ it's the one I know that can be moved about boxes because you can use it one Windows or Linux. Anyone.., Rupp ? correct me if am wrong...

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Hi Eman,
      I have already bought new licenses for HS4 Pro full version (with free HS3 Pro) and also HS4 Pro upgrade from version 3, so licenses aren't an issue.
      Thanks,

Comment

I used an upgrade license to go from HS3 to HS4 (on the Hometroller S6 Pro) and I have a separate full version of HS4 Pro as well. I wouldn't have thought the HS4 Pro upgrade license is tied to the Hometroller anymore, so hopefully this can be moved without having the use the separate full version license of HS4 Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by SeriousPigeon View Post
          I used an upgrade license to go from HS3 to HS4 (on the Hometroller S6 Pro) and I have a separate full version of HS4 Pro as well. I wouldn't have thought the HS4 Pro upgrade license is tied to the Hometroller anymore, so hopefully this can be moved without having the use the separate full version license of HS4 Pro.
          In that case if you don't have licensing issues, you are at least 95% done... All you have to do is install a fresh copy of HS4 Pro on the new machine then overwrite it with the config/settings of your old machine using the backup/restore process...https://docs.homeseer.com/pages/view...ageId=17466488

Because you had already upgraded the old system, things should be straight forward but install all your previous plug-ins on the new system first.

Note : Careful what you apply here! The license issue may pop up again...???? Rupp

Eman.

Comment

To confirm, I install the plugins, before restore the HS4 configuration and zwave config backups?

I don't quite understand your note of caution. What do I need to be careful to apply?

Comment

Originally posted by SeriousPigeon View Post
              To confirm, I install the plugins, before restore the HS4 configuration and zwave config backups?

I don't quite understand your note of caution. What do I need to be careful to apply?
              The caution was try to pull in Rupp to confirm that it's OK to go ahead as you can see from the link in my post at # 5...
              Because you still have a working system and already upgraded to HS4, the links states that when moving to a new system. So the product (Zip File) of the Backup from from the previous system should be enough to build your new system which I had stated that you install a fresh copy of HS4, register it with your credentials but only this time skip the *** HS3 part because you mentioned earlier that you had a full license of HS4 PRO and install all the plug-ins you were using before.

It's removes the ambiguity/question of "licensing... Why?...Because if your new license is/were an Upgrade license, it will be linked to the previous system which in this case would be the Hometroller S6 Pro

So if I refer you again to the link in my post at # 5, on your new registered fresh install go to the Backup/Restore utility and this time choose Restore and choosing the Zip you created with the old system.

Now you see why you need your plug-ins installed on the new system before you restore your files, is to have everything in place when the old files get into the new system. You may have a few tweaks to do with the Z-wave plug-in but nothing surgical.... And then again you still have a working old system to fall back on as you perfect the new system...

How's that?...

But... Where there is doubt with my above statements, then you can use this link against HST : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...etroller-to-pc

Make sure you make a screen shot to prove that you are always right! 😁 🤣

*** May still apply...

Eman.

Comment

Thank you for the very detailed answer. I think I am going to install the full HS4 Pro license on the new NUC and keep the upgraded HS4 Pro on the Hometroller S6 Pro. I also have a full license of HS3 Pro (which came free with the full HS4 Pro license), that I will install on an older NUC. This gives me 2 HS4 Pro and 1 HS3 Pro systems to work with. Should be enough I think :-)

Comment

Working...
                X