Device Confusing Feature Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Confusing Feature Names

Just recently switched over from SmartThings and am in the process of moving my large home automation network over to Homeseer. I'm very confused by how Homeseer handles features though. This is the naming schema for features when trying to use them in events:

"[Floor]-[Room]-[Feature]"
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-11 10_24_40-Homeseer.png
Views:	241
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1507550

In my mind it would make much more sense as: "[Device Name]-[Feature]"

It makes the integration with IFTTT almost unusable as all the device control options just show up as the same thing (for multiple switches in the same room):

Name:	2021-11-10 15_53_32-Create your own - IFTTT.png
Views:	160
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	1507551
    (In the IFTTT example above, I have several virtual switches in my "Virtual" floor and "Switches" room, meaning they all show up exactly the same. This is also an issue in events, where it's easy to pick from the list to see which switch/feature you want when setting up the event, but when going back to view the event, you have no way of knowing which switch your actually controlling in that room.

Name:	2021-11-11 10_53_37-Homeseer.png
Views:	161
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1507552

Is there a solution to this that I'm missing? Is this a bug? This seems like a fairly insurmountable problem unless there's an easy fix I don't know about.

We cleaned up the device naming for event actions and triggers in HS4 4.2.6.0 but the new names probably won't get sent to IFTTT. I will put in an issue to add the device name to the feature name as we have done for the events.

Originally posted by DebrodeD View Post
    Just recently switched over from SmartThings and am in the process of moving my large home automation network over to Homeseer. I'm very confused by how Homeseer handles features though. This is the naming schema for features when trying to use them in events:

"[Floor]-[Room]-[Feature]"

Name:	2021-11-11 10_24_40-Homeseer.png
Views:	241
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1507550

In my mind it would make much more sense as: "[Device Name]-[Feature]"

It makes the integration with IFTTT almost unusable as all the device control options just show up as the same thing (for multiple switches in the same room):

Name:	2021-11-10 15_53_32-Create your own - IFTTT.png
Views:	160
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	1507551
    (In the IFTTT example above, I have several virtual switches in my "Virtual" floor and "Switches" room, meaning they all show up exactly the same. This is also an issue in events, where it's easy to pick from the list to see which switch/feature you want when setting up the event, but when going back to view the event, you have no way of knowing which switch your actually controlling in that room.

Name:	2021-11-11 10_53_37-Homeseer.png
Views:	161
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1507552

Is there a solution to this that I'm missing? Is this a bug? This seems like a fairly insurmountable problem unless there's an easy fix I don't know about.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
    X