Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 'Trane XR524 Z-Wave Thermostat' natively supported in HS4 PRO software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 'Trane XR524 Z-Wave Thermostat' natively supported in HS4 PRO software?

I'd like to purchase new thermostats to work with HS4 Pro and want to be sure they are supported before purchasing.

Thanks.

I have the Trane XL624 which is recognized as a Thermostat by HS4. From all my research the XR524 should also be supported as many others are using it. Don't buy any of the higher model numbers as they are not supported despite mentioning z-wave. The reason I chose the XL624 over the XR524 is because the former allows for remote sensors. I have the thermostats in the garage and closet so the built-in temperature sensor is pretty much useless. The XL624 is one of the very few that allows to just use the remote temperature sensors instead of averaging them. The 2Gig CT100 also seems to be quite popular but it completely depends on HS, i.e. you can't manually program it (at least based on what I read).

Comment

Question, does the XL624 expose all the controls and readings as devices (Setpoint, current temp sensor1, current temp sensor2 (for averaging), etc.
      I'm using the HAI rc2000 now which works great connected to my OmniPro II panel. Could be very nice to do some intelligent control from HS.

BTW, I'm running HS3, you didn't happen to use it also on HS3?

Comment

I've been using the XL624 for years with HS3. It's rock solid. I don't however have any external sensors
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks! I hope they still sell them.

Comment

Attached is how one of our XL624 shows up in HS4. As far as I know, they don't sell them anymore. They were supposed to come out with a replacement model but they haven't (at least as of some 1 year ago).It is too bad because I think it is the best thermostat (remote sensor without averaging, z-wave, programmable without home automation, etc).
            Attached Files

Comment

The only reason I asked is that there seem to be a few of them on eBay. Didn't look hard though

Comment

An alternative to consider: the Honeywell TH6320ZW2003 T6 Pro Series (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I've been using it for quite a while and it works perfectly with HS3/4. I use Events, scripts, HSTouch to control it. Here are the devices:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Honeywell TH6320ZW2003 Devices.png
Views:	253
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1541882
                I was originally looking at the Trane TStat because I work for a custom home builder and we use Trane equipment in our homes - Trane is arguably among the best manufacturers,

When I mentioned what I was doing to our project manager, he said I should look at the Honeywell which kind of surprised me because we use Trane. I wish I could remember why he was so hot on it - it may have been that it was less expensive at the time.

Regardless, it's what I went with, it works, and now I just got a 2nd one to control a Mitsubishi mini-split that I'm installing in my garage.

As always, YMMV...

Comment

Only issues I've had with them:
                  -If rescanned they sometimes create a duplicate temp device (at least for HS3)
                  -The supercap they use for "battery backup", fails eventually (you can replace them, but requires a soldering iron). The failure mode is typically during a power bump, so it defaults some of the settings to default, usually the Equip type or the cooling logic.

Overall, finding another thermostat that duplicates all of the features is difficult. I've used the Honeywell T-6 Z-wave Therm, but it's a real pain for Heat pumps since you can't control the deadband for the Aux heating in the winter. You can pay for a new thermostat real quick turning on the Aux heat too early.
                  I've got an AprilAire coming, but it's got almost a year delivery time, and not cheap, especially when you need four of them

The Z-wave requirement will limit you to what thermostats are available.

I'm probably going to build a mqtt therm eventually.. Just looking for a non-fugly package to put it in

Comment

Working...
                  X