Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer integration with Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi (MyLeviton Cloud)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer integration with Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi (MyLeviton Cloud)?

Hi there, new to HomeSeer via the Insteon disaster, and successfully migrated my hub and network to HS4. Really happy with the outcome.

The next issue is now that Insteon hardware has also disappeared, I need to start replacing wall devices as well. From a design/usage perspective, the current generation of Leviton Decora Smart Wi-Fi products (they are migrating away from Z-wave) fits the bill as they are almost indistinguishable from the Insteon stuff.

I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer. Is there a way to integrate these devices (e.g. the Leviton D26HD-1BW) so HS4 can bridge control? I have Kasa devices that are working very well like this - Insteon wall switch > triggers HS4 event > triggers Kasa action - it's fast and consistent. But I'm not a fan of the Kasa hardware so I'd like to do the same thing, but with Leviton Wi-Fi devices.

Can HS4 integrate with the current generation of Leviton wi-fi hardware?

Thank you!

From what I've read, those devices use a proprietary control protocol and require internet "cloud" access to control them. It looks like there is a Hubitat driver but, again, it requires the internet to control the devices.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

The MyLeviton app integrates well with SmartThings. You can then use the free SmartThings HS4 plugin to obtain HS control of the Leviton devices. Do beware however that operating through 2 clouds (SmartThings and Leviton) to reach the device introduces a good bit of hysteresis (latency), usually around 2 - 3 seconds. If you can live with that, then the SmartThings integration is easy and reliable.

I have a few Leviton wifi switches in remote locations on our property controlling barn lights, shed lights and such. I used the Leviton wifi switches because of the longer communication distances for wifi vs Z-Wave or Zigbee. For instance, the barn lights are almost 3/4 mile from our main house and I beam wifi to the barn using Unifi equipment. I control the Leviton devices with HS4 using the exact method as described above, and i've never had an issue with cloud availability or with the devices dropping off the network. They are pretty rock solid, all things considered.

--Barry

Comment

Originally posted by logman View Post
        The MyLeviton app integrates well with SmartThings ... They are pretty rock solid, all things considered.

--Barry
        Thank you, this is very helpful.

Comment

Do either the MyLevitonApp or SmartThings require the internet in order to work? I'm getting rid of Tuya for that reason.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
            Do either the MyLevitonApp or SmartThings require the internet in order to work? I'm getting rid of Tuya for that reason.
            Yes, they both require the internet. SmartThings can only communicate with 3rd party apps and/or devices via the cloud, although they are working on changing that. The MyLeviton app can only communicate with the Leviton devices through the cloud. No local control is possible (without doing some sophisticated hacking), and Leviton does not open their API to the general public.

I have a business-class private fiber line to my house, so for me internet reliability is a non-issue. Plus the lights the Leviton switches control are non-essential. If either circumstance was different, I would use something I could control locally on the intranet.

I ditched most of my Tuya stuff a couple of years ago. Only thing I use it for now is a couple of wifi switches in the crawlspace of the house, and for a TV IR repeater out in my shop. I just assumed Tuya had improved their cloud reliability. Is that not the case?

--Barry

Comment

Working...
            X