Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GoControl Garage Door Controller not working? Or am I missing something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoControl Garage Door Controller not working? Or am I missing something.

I just installed a GoControl garage door controller and I added it to my HomeSeer network with no issues, and after I wired it up to the opener, I tried to operate the door through the controller, but it doesn't appear to do anything (the manual says that the light will flash when it's going to operate the door). It's not a range issue because I have a light switch in the garage a few feet away that appears to work fine. I THINK I'm using the right control to operate it (a secondary device called "barrier operator") but using open or close does nothing. I'm pretty inexperienced with HomeSeer as I'm just getting into using different devices and I'm not sure where I would even begin to troubleshoot. Has anyone had any experience getting one of these controllers working with HomeSeer? I feel like I'm missing something like adding a plug-in or setting it up via some proprietary app or something.

Hi Deadeye,

The GO Control garage door operator does not need any plug-ins to operate properly. It does however need a compatible garage door opener. Your garage door opener must work with a standard garage door momentary contact switch. If you can get it to work with a pushbutton switch then the GO Control device just replaces the switch. Check the garage door opener manual for simple contact switch compatibility/wiring. I forget the name of the child device that Homeseer adds to control the device as I renamed mine. Barrier operation sounds correct. In any case, it’s the only one that has an open and close action.

When is working properly the GO Control device beeps for several seconds before operating the door. There is a safety in the device. When it attempts to operate the door, if it does not sense the tilt switch reporting that the door changed positions it will stop attempting to operate the door. When that happens just operate the door with the physical switch or a garage door remote through an open/close cycle to reset the safety.

There are several versions of this garage door controller. The revisions are alphabet letters from A to G I think it is that they are on now. I’m not sure the differences between them but I think they all operate the same.

Comment

I guess the solution was to just let it be. I tried it out this morning and it worked! I don't know what the exact issue was, but I think you're right that it had something to do with the door sensor. I had a second one to install on another door so when I did that one, I noticed that on this one, the Barrier Operator status was "stopped" but on the sensor I installed yesterday, it is reporting "closed". I let the latest one sit for an hour and now that one works too (though, the Barrier Operator status isn't changing from "stopped" yet, so I still need to figure that out). At least I can operate the doors, but just can't get the status yet on the new one.

Comment

I have the same device and the weakest link is the sensor on the door. The battery needs to be changed regularly (every few months)

Comment

Oof that sucks. I'm still getting the status:Stopped on the Barrier Operator on one of the controllers. I didn't think it might be the battery since this thing is brand new. Not looking forward to replacing them every few months though...

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
            I have the same device and the weakest link is the sensor on the door. The battery needs to be changed regularly (every few months)
            My Go Control Garage Door Controller is several years and have only needed to change the battery once. I operate the door several times a day. Mine is hardware version: 4.05 which is not the newest.

Comment

Well, I replaced the battery, re-synched the door sensor, and I still get status:Stopped on the Barrier Operator. I'm thinking I just got a defective unit. Ugh. I wish I would have tried it right out of the box before mounting everything.... I guess I'm SOL.

Comment

One thought…. Are you sure the tilt sensor is oriented properly? It must be vertical with the top of the sensor up to report the door as closed. I’m sure you have it right, but I mention it just in case instructions were missing or not clear. Another thought, maybe take the tilt sensor off the door and see if manually tilting the sensor makes it report properly. This way your actions can be more deliberate than those of the garage door. Just a few thoughts about troubleshooting.

Comment

I went through two of these units, both failed within months. Wouldn't control the door even after replacing the battery. Ended up going with the mimo-lite relays to control our garage door and it has been working for years now without issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradkw View Post
                    One thought…. Are you sure the tilt sensor is oriented properly? It must be vertical with the top of the sensor up to report the door as closed. I’m sure you have it right, but I mention it just in case instructions were missing or not clear. Another thought, maybe take the tilt sensor off the door and see if manually tilting the sensor makes it report properly. This way your actions can be more deliberate than those of the garage door. Just a few thoughts about troubleshooting.
                    Yeah, I had thought of that, and I double checked that the arrow was pointing up. Also when I was re-syncing it, I could hear it click when tipping it and I heard the head unit chirp, so it SEEMS like the sensor is able to communicate with the head unit, but it just doesn't seem to be reporting the status to my Homeseer system. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm guessing that it is just a junk unit. Like dibble9012 said, I might just have to try a different brand.

Comment

Consider re-scanning the unit. It may create a new feature if the old feature is not doing its job.

Comment

Consider re-scanning the unit. It may create a new feature if the old feature is not doing its job.
                        Sorry, re-scanning? Do you mean taking it down and removing/re-adding it to my zwave network?

Comment

No. In the z-wave menu there is a re-scan function. See screenshot
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 08-08-22 at 05.05 PM.png
Views:	259
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1561195

Comment

I can vouch for these controllers. I had 3 garage doors at a previous house and two at my current house. I bought mine about 6 years ago. I relocated them when I moved and have never had an issue. For me, the batteries last several years between changes.

Comment

No. In the z-wave menu there is a re-scan function.
                              Whoops. I didn't see this until it was too late. I had already taken it down, excluded it and re-added it to my network, and it worked much better, but was still flaky for about a day, then settled out and seems to be working fine now.

So, what does that rescan button do exactly? Is there any chance it could mess things up?

Comment

Working...
                              X