HS4 Update Not in Correct Directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS4 Update Not in Correct Directory

I recently upgraded from HS3 to HS4 4.2.13, and seems to be working ok with some minor issues. I am now trying to update to 4.2.15 via Setup... General...Updates. But when I click on it, the PC shuts down and installs a new install of 4.2.15 in a new Programfiles (x86)/Homeseer HS3 directory. The problem is that my HS4 install is in the Programfiles (x86)/Homeseer HS4 directory. So I end of with a virgin install of HS4 4.2.15 as well as my fully-configured working install of 4.2.13, in different directories.

Any idea why it won't install over my existing install? Why a HS3 directory?

I also tried running the 4.2.15 msi file, but the dialog box asks me if I want to do a repair or modification, rather than an update or install.
    Mark

I am not sure about thr second issue but for the directory this is normal if you upgrade from hs3

Comment

As stated above, the updater insisted on writing the update to a HS3 directory, but my actual operating install is in a HS4 directory.

I was hoping for an easier fix, but the only way I could figure was a complete un-install and re-install of HS4. So I saved all my directories, uninstalled HS4, rebooted the PC, reinstalled HS4 4.2.13 with the msi, moved over my saved directories/files to replace/supplement the newly installed HS4 stuff, rebooted again, and back in business. The updater now works.

I can only assume I did something goofy during my upgrade from HS3 to HS4 - presumably a registry setting or something was coded to a HS3 directory.
      Last edited by Mark S.; September 8, 2022, 09:16 PM. Reason: Fixed problem
      Mark

Comment

Yesterday, I upgraded from HS3 to HS4. I did a backup of HS3 (of course), then followed the Alternative Instructions so that I would have an Homeseer HS4 folder rather than an in-place upgrade. Who wants their HS4 to forever say HS3? In any case, during the installation setup and before registering it asks if you want to upgrade the to the latest version (weird since I did a fresh download of supposedly the very latest from the HS site right before doing the install - is it behind?)

It seemed to upgrade fine, but I'm not sure if that was because the question was answered from the HS4 folder during the setup process, or whether the upgrade is hard coded to go to an HS4 folder.

Anyway, the Alternative install method omits a few VERY important details, like if you don't move your scripts folder and it can't find them, it will remove all references from the event and you'll have to play Humpty-Dumpty putting that all back in place again because they won't come back after you shutdown, put the scripts in place, and start up again.

Also, less important but should be mentioned are the images and media in use have to be copied.

Lastly, I've written a few plugins myself and they don't install through the public plugins store. I forgot to copy their bin/<PIname> folders over, so my DLLs and stuff were missing. Since I wrote them and side-loaded them, I consider that my responsibility, and there was no long-term harm other than confusing myself.

The Alternative Method description really needs an update, but ideally it would be nice if you just had the option at setup to specify you want to put this in a new folder and have it bring all the parts across (at least those in the

I'd love it if the installation tips were on a wiki so we could all contribute. The gaming community and most other HA software has community involved in updating doc. Forums are still necessary, but no public wiki is a big marketing disadvantage that keeps HS behind the times on that front.

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post

I'd love it if the installation tips were on a wiki so we could all contribute. The gaming community and most other HA software has community involved in updating doc. Forums are still necessary, but no public wiki is a big marketing disadvantage that keeps HS behind the times on that front.
          Homeseer used to have a Wiki and several users added content to it for several months. After that people lost interest and it went in to decline. It started getting spammed to a point where it had to be closed down.

Jon

Comment

Working...
          X