Debug, Trace, Troubleshooting Feature Requests - RJH PLEASE respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debug, Trace, Troubleshooting Feature Requests - RJH PLEASE respond

rjh some users have complex events which are highly dependent and interoperate. The larger our systems get, the more problematic the lack debug of this critical functionality is. These challenges are caused in large part due to the lack of If/Then/Else and Case style logic. I currently have 518 events, would likely have about 30% fewer the event engine was more advanced. If the event engine will not mature we NEED ways to work with the problems / challenges it creates

Over several years, these features, and similar, have been asked for to ease the challenges of creating "interdependent systems"(which is what coding and HS events are)...

1. Trace Logging per event ... enable/disable trace logging via checkbox on each separate event
    Reason: we need to see what is triggering the events when we are designing/testing/troubleshooting.

2. Debugging Features: Step Though / Step Over / Break Points ... see device and variable changes with each line in the event. Even the JowiHue plugin has the ability to pause Animations the users build. Maybe see how he's doing it?

3. Global Variables for each Event that store how the Event was triggered... Another Event, Condition or Set Of, Manually via GUI

4. Disable a Device... Stops if from being used (ignores it) in all events. This is valuable for multiple reasons beyond troubleshooting, but really helps for debugging too!

5. Map showing all Events that call other events... would really help visualize the interdependence and if there is room to optimize

... I moved from a $99 (now $129) hub that could do ALL the above 10 years ago.

Looking forward to a collaborative, open and honest conversation on this.

the silence is deafening.

Comment

i think you need to submit this feature request to their system. I dont think they monitor the forums

https://homeseer.com/contact-us/

Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
        i think you need to submit this feature request to their system. I dont think they monitor the forums

https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
        you should have added "and they dont add user requested features since v1.x"

I guess I post these things every once hoping the user base would help put pressure on Rich. But its clear the power users (who have not yet left for a different platform) have simply given up. Cant blame them.

Comment

I dont know that I would call myself a power user, but I dont think I would need any of those features. Troubleshooting an event (for me) is just enabling logging for the event and/or device and looking in the logs.

Where I work, we sell a Z-Wave hub and the event engine is VERY basic, but there is one event log that is kinda nice - it will tell you which device triggered out of a group of devices.
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

rmasonjr maybe your events are simple and stand alone, mine are not. Right now I have over active 520 events. At least half have serious complexity. MANY are dependent on multiple devices / conditions, often manually triggered, disabled/enabled based on virtual devices or by other events, and many many are intertwined.

What does this mean "enabling logging for the event and/or device"? My HS logging is always on, even used HSs Debug log, and that does not provide ANY info on 'why' an event was triggered. Its extremely difficult to trace complex events unless you know what device change triggered or what other event triggered it. None of which is possible without a TON of work sorting through the log.

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
              rmasonjr maybe your events are simple and stand alone, mine are not. Right now I have over active 520 events. At least half have serious complexity. MANY are dependent on multiple devices / conditions, often manually triggered, disabled/enabled based on virtual devices or by other events, and many many are intertwined.

What does this mean "enabling logging for the event and/or device"? My HS logging is always on, even used HSs Debug log, and that does not provide ANY info on 'why' an event was triggered. Its extremely difficult to trace complex events unless you know what device change triggered or what other event triggered it. None of which is possible without a TON of work sorting through the log.
              You should add this to the thread for HS4 enhancements.
              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
              X