New error appeared - Solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New error appeared - Solved!

Out of nowhere when I open the log an error appears and continues every 2-3 seconds

10/11/2022 9:20:03 PM
    HomeSeer Error GetLog Error: disk I/O error disk I/O error​

No idea what this is but it has something to do with the log as when I close the log, it stops recording the error, but as soon as I open the log again, it starts to record this error every 2-3 seconds. The time I am not viewing the log it does not error 9as noted by the time).

Sounds like an early warning of an impending disk failure. I advise backing up your system as soon as possible as a priority. What hardware/OS is HS4 installed on.

Comment

I would think that also, but the error is only when I open the log, and stops when I close the log.
      I am on a new windows 11 machine dedecated for HS4 and Blue Iris with node-red running also.

Edit:
      Now this error appears along with the existing error
      10/12/2022 8:04:21 AM HomeSeer Error Failed to retrieve highest ID in the Log database: disk I/O error disk I/O error​

Comment

Originally posted by KSO View Post
        I would think that also, but the error is only when I open the log, and stops when I close the log.
        I am on a new windows 11 machine dedecated for HS4 and Blue Iris with node-red running also.

Edit:
        Now this error appears along with the existing error
        10/12/2022 8:04:21 AM HomeSeer Error Failed to retrieve highest ID in the Log database: disk I/O error disk I/O error​
        When you say "open the log", are you doing so outside of HS, as in opening the *.hsd with a utility while HS is running?

Comment

With a corrupted log, the solution is to delete it. You will lose log entries prior to the time you delete it, but it will be good going forward.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thank You Randy,
            Deleting the log file and restart HS4 seems to have solved it.

Comment

Originally posted by KSO View Post
              Thank You Randy,
              Deleting the log file and restart HS4 seems to have solved it.
              For the moment. It may well happen again, At least you now know to backup regularly in the event of disk failure. Try investigating what may have caused this. Examine your log after a few days operating to see if it is showing anything unusual or is growing unusually.

Comment

That I will, Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

For the moment. It may well happen again, At least you now know to backup regularly in the event of disk failure. Try investigating what may have caused this. Examine your log after a few days operating to see if it is showing anything unusual or is growing unusually.
                  I'm not sure this is related to a hardware issue. In 8 years, I've had my log database corrupted 2 or 3 times. While not a common occurrence, it is something that does happen.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I hope it is not a hardware issue as this PC is only a few months old.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                      I'm not sure this is related to a hardware issue. In 8 years, I've had my log database corrupted 2 or 3 times. While not a common occurrence, it is something that does happen.
                      And that’s why I’d be concerned with Disk I/O errors and would investigate it further particularly as the hardware appears to be relatively new. Maybe a little more detail on the exact hardware setup might help. I’d be concerned about addressing the issue while the hardware is still under warranty.

Comment

I will definitely keep an eye on it, but I would think as often as the errors were occurring (every 2-3 seconds) with the log open, and not when the log is not open, that if it was hardware related it would occur all of the time. And then after the HS4 log was removed and a new log created the system has no errors, this (In my mind) would point to a corrupted log file.

Comment

Working...
                        X