No announcement yet.

Hometroller PRO Windows Update is disabled and "managed by your organization"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hometroller PRO Windows Update is disabled and "managed by your organization"

Hometroller PRO Windows Update is disabled and this setting is "managed by your organization"

This is how it was setup when received from HomeSeer. Should it really be like that. It must be a load of security-updates that is not installed now.

HS4 Setup --> Labs --> Disable Windows Updates (make this unchecked)

This setting was put in because people kept complaining that Windows Updates was rebooting their HS4 installations.

Comment

It was already unchecked. But the "Check for updates" button is grey and managed by organization anyway.

I tried to check and uncheck, to see if that helped. But still det same

Comment

What version of Windows does it run?

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post
          What version of Windows does it run?
          1607 build 14393.2848

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	137
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1572257​

Comment

If you have Windows 10 Pro, check the Group Policy editor. See this guide https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...lly-windows-10

Look for the section "How to disable automatic updates using Group Policy". Make sure updates are not disabled in the GPE.

I used the procedure further down to limit updates on my regular desktop computer (not HS). Now it notifies when updates are ready, but doesn't install them automatically.

​

Comment

Originally posted by atokle View Post

1607 build 14393.2848

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	137
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	1572257​
              I would contact HST Support. I don't think you should have an "Enterprise" LTSB license, but I could be wrong.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Actually, Long Term Servicing Branch of Windows makes perfect sense for OEM type systems. Reasons for using this, "Not required to feature patch, only security. Each version supported for a decade."

Windows 10 Enterprise means it's a Volume License and HST probably true-ups once a year based on sales numbers.

atokle, have you tried to manually run a Windows Update check to see if any security patches are missing?

Comment

Actually, Long Term Servicing Branch of Windows makes perfect sense for OEM type systems. Reasons for using this, "Not required to feature patch, only security. Each version supported for a decade."

Windows 10 Enterprise means it's a Volume License and HST probably true-ups once a year based on sales numbers.

atokle, have you tried to manually run a Windows Update check to see if any security patches are missing?
                  Yes. It's exactly what is the problem. The button to manually upgrade was greyed, and a message next to it said that som setting was managed by the organization.
                  I don't want it to automatically upgrade and reboot. But I want to be able to manually do it.

But I think I was brought on the right track about checking settings in windows Group Policy Editor.
                  The policy: "Configure Automatic Updates" was not configured.

But the two policies:
                  • Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down' option in Shut Down Windows dialog box
                  • Remove access to use all Windows Update features
                  was both enabled.

I tried both to Disable both of them and to Not configure them. Closed and opened windows update window between each change. But gave up, since I saw no difference. But now, 10 hours later when I should answer you and checked again, the button was suddenly enabled.

But when pressing the button to check for updates, it was working for a minute, and I got "Thre were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024002e)
                  I hate windows sometimes 😕
                  But thank for all help

Comment

Google the error code. This looks promising: https://geeksadvice.com/fix-windows-...or-0x8024002e/

Comment

Next time you use Group Policy editor, you have two options to have the new changes take effect:

A) Reboot, this is so the system registry gets reloaded into memory.
                      B) or issue this command at a command prompt: gpupdate /force

The third option, which you did, is just wait long enough for the system to reload group policy.

Spent the early part of my career doing systems administration....

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                        Google the error code. This looks promising: https://geeksadvice.com/fix-windows-...or-0x8024002e/
                        After trying several of the fixes and multiple restarts, the window update finally works

Comment

Next time you use Group Policy editor, you have two options to have the new changes take effect:

A) Reboot, this is so the system registry gets reloaded into memory.
                          B) or issue this command at a command prompt: gpupdate /force

The third option, which you did, is just wait long enough for the system to reload group policy.

Spent the early part of my career doing systems administration....
                          Thank you. Good to know for next time

Comment

Working...
                          X